PDA

View Full Version : LaserStar

Braden Todd
02-11-2018, 4:29 PM
I was curious if anyone was running a machine from LaserStar, and what you thought of it. I am looking at a 50 watt 3600 series machine, but I'd like to hear how they perform outside of what the brochure says.

Thanks!

Dave Sheldrake
02-11-2018, 4:56 PM
Ask what resonator they are using and what the M^2 value is

If they can't or won't answer either...walk away

If the M^2 is too high...walk away

Braden Todd
02-11-2018, 7:35 PM
What is a good resonator and what should the m^2 be at?

Here is the link to the laser if it helps.

https://www.laserstar.net/products/lasers-for-marking-and-engraving/fiberstar-open-marking-system/default.aspx

Thanks for the advice!

John Lifer
02-12-2018, 9:27 AM
I've been on their email list for a while. They have some really interesting machines- use a fiber to weld. Novel idea, at least for me.
But looking at the machine you linked to Braden, I SURE DON'T LIKE THE elevation handle location! Could be REALLY easy to stick your hand under the working laser to adjust a fraction. Mine, like all the Chinese machines I've seen have the screw handle on TOP of the pillar. Where it SHOULD be!
Ergonomically, and SAFETY wise at least. Yes it is a nit, but IMHO, a BIG No and would be a deal killer.

Another issue is that the base looks pretty cheazy. Is it Tippy at all? Looks like it would be.

And, really, their machines are expensive. You can buy a 50 and probably a 30 watt Chinese machine for what the 50 costs....... After market service? At least from what I've been told, MTBF on the fibers is over 100,000 hours. Now a power supply or other electronic item or a mirror could fail. But is it worth it? You must decide. They definitely aren't a CO2 where a Trotec/Epilog metal is superior.

OH, and it looks like they still use a form of EzCad software. My guess is the guts are Chinese.....

I REALLY would love to know who actually wrote the initial software. US or Chinese?

Braden Todd
02-13-2018, 2:10 PM
So trying to branch out from just LaserStar, what other US based companies are out there that are really good at what they do?

Just sent a request to TYKMA as well.

Thanks!

Gloria van Arsdale
02-27-2018, 6:18 PM
Braden,

I own a LaserStar Fibercube and in Fort Collins,CO. What information ante you interested in? I bought the machine in December so I am still learning. So far I like the machine but not to impressed with the LaserStar team.

Mike Null
02-27-2018, 6:23 PM
Gloria

Welcome to SMC. We'll look forward to your input.

Braden Todd
02-27-2018, 6:25 PM
Hi Gloria,

I was just curious if they were as wonderful as advertised, and what their service and software was like.

Did you get their 3d software? What power did you go with?

Thanks!