PDA

View Full Version : Now for something completely different

John Hart
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
I really wasn't sure whether to show this or not....But, I figured that we should show the bad with the good.:o I had a vision, based on some phenomenal Ornaments by some of you....and since I got the lathe running, I decided to give it a try. It's a Black Cherry root that I thought I could make sort of a Spindle Clock. I showed it to the family. They held their laughter til I was out of the room. I thought that was mighty considerate!:D Actually, I think it's good every now and then to do something ridiculous.:rolleyes:

Rich Stewart
11-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I like it. Definately a one of a kind. Whats the finish?

John Hart
11-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Oops sorry...Forgot about the specs...It stands 12" tall and finished with BLO then spray lacquer. The clock is a Seiko insert. Thanks! :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Certainly Unique......................I think I like it, too.

Something our childrens children will see on a sessiom of the Antiques' Road Show as a "unique, one of a kind, ORIGINAL, JOHN HART! " Worth .............................................

Who knows? I'm not Clairvoyent..................HeHe.

Bruce

Jim Ketron
11-10-2005, 11:14 PM
John I think its a nice looking piece. Love the natural part on the front.
Finish looks great also. You come up with some neat ideas! Keep them coming;)

The only thing I would do different would be, make the finial above the clock part a little less thick.

Carole Valentine
11-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Why does this vaguely remind me of Aunt Jemima, John?:D Must be the long skirt and "apron"!;) I think it is kinda neat. Glad you got a working lathe again. Don't want you spending any more time than necessary doing flatwork just because your lathe is broken!

Bill Stevener
11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
WHO John,
Very, very creative, I don't think I have ever seen anything like it before.
You say the ornaments were your inspiration?? The number one thing with turning, which is the hardest of all, is to create something unique, an independent idea, and that you have achieved.

I must study this for a while. ----- tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock. Over, I also like it,----------Post.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Andy Hoyt
11-10-2005, 11:36 PM
John - Geez, well, um, ya see, once upon a, oh oh I think I'm gonna, Geez, well, um, ya see......

I think it might be upside down.

Bill Stevener
11-10-2005, 11:46 PM
O-boy John,
The posts are going to role in on this one, I shouldn't say it, But at first I was going to ask if it was the Queen to your chess set.
All kidding aside, I really do like it.
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Dick Parr
11-11-2005, 12:12 AM
Very nice looking clock John, great job.

Loy Hawes
11-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Looks like the front got burnt in some...uh.....some type of explosion there,uh John. I think this further proves my theory on John's circuit board "failure".

:D :D

I give it two thumbs up for thinking outside the box.

Steve Stube
11-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I figured that we should show the bad with the good.

Alright John, now bring on the bad.

Karl Laustrup
11-11-2005, 6:39 AM
Gonna try this again. I did this already and when I hit submit it dissapeared.

Anyway. John, I'm with Carole's assessment with it reminding me of Aunt Jemimah. Well the syrup bottle anyway.

Then I thought the chess piece rang true also. Maybe a complete set and then you could do some flat work building a chess board for them.

In any case I think it's a very nice piece. Different? Yes, just like me.:)

Karl

Bruce Smith
11-11-2005, 6:47 AM
I kind of like it, nice shape, finish and all. Perhaps the next time you could extend the length and make two, you could use them for bed posts at the foot of the bed. They do remind me of bed posts.
Cheers, Bruce in Saint John, N.B.

John Hart
11-11-2005, 6:57 AM
Well Thanks for your kind (and syrupy) comments!!:D I think I'll stick with the idea and do some refinements. Ok....A LOT of refinements! I get the clocks pretty cheap so maybe this can turn out to be something.

Chris Barton
11-11-2005, 8:53 AM
Hi John,

I am a Salvador Dali fan and you clok piece remins me of some of his work. Now, if you could just get the clock part to look like it is melting...

Mike Ramsey
11-11-2005, 9:02 AM
It's unique! I've never seen another quite like it, so that in itself makes it
a heirloom item. A few years down the road & those kids will be fighting
over it! I like it!!

Keith Burns
11-11-2005, 9:30 AM
John, this piece is very original and unique. It's one of those I've been thinking about since you posted it last night and keep coming back to look at. Honestly, my first reaction was that I didn't care for it but maybe that was because you presented it in a negative light. Now for my opinion of this morning. I think the form, finish and detail are excellent. It has a very artistic look to it. However the artistic part does not overwelm the turning part which I like. I agree with Mike that it will become one of those things your kids will fight over. Bottom line is that I like it and would be proud to display it on my mantle as you should be.

John Hart
11-11-2005, 5:30 PM
Alright...you guys are too nice! Thanks. Guess what? the kids are already fighting over it.....'course then...they fight over everything!:rolleyes:

Bill Stevener gave me an idea though....A very large chess piece with an embedded clock. You know...for chess players who want to know what time it is. Anyway...a pawn or bishop, or maybe even a rook would make a cool desk clock eh?
Can't do a queen though...Then I'd have to put feet on her.....I guess.:confused:

Don Baer
11-11-2005, 6:16 PM
John,
Maybe I'm in the minority but I liked it right off the bat.

Although you know for a chess set ya gotta make 31 more pieces...:D

Rich Stewart
11-12-2005, 2:35 AM
Aunt Jemima. You made me pass coffee through my nose.:D Too funny.