PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Moxon Add-On for Bench-on-Bench

glenn bradley
02-11-2018, 12:28 PM
Trying to elevate my hand cut dovetail status from "hack" to "reasonably proficient" I found myself in need of a moxon-like device. Space is at a premium here so I came up with an add-on for my Bench-on-Bench. I grabbed a scrap of red oak and a previously used piece of t-track. I cut a rabbet to accept the t-track, drilled the track with through holes and coutersinks and mounted it to the scrap.

I marked the area where the scrap would be glued to the BonB and sanded the finish off.

Some glue and #10 screws.

And it works like so . . .

These holddowns were picked up at a Woodworking show some years back. Other t-track type holddowns you may have will work as well.

Jim Becker
02-11-2018, 12:32 PM
That's a good solution, Glenn, and not just for the task that drove you to it. Even with an height adjustable bench like I have, there are times when getting something up much higher can make a difference, both in quality of work and comfort for the worker. Too much "bending over" isn't good for anyone...

Ellery Becnel
02-11-2018, 1:02 PM
Excellent idea Glen! I have a pair of those clamps, and a few 4' lengths of "T" track, and some hold down clamps!
Thanks for sharing that design.