PDA

View Full Version : Resurfacing 8" Delta Jointer

Steve Mathews
02-11-2018, 12:02 PM
I just upgraded my 6" jointer with an 8" Delta jointer and would like to resurface the tables as they are in less than ideal condition. Any suggestion on the best approach?

Chuck Wintle
02-11-2018, 12:30 PM
I just upgraded my 6" jointer with an 8" Delta jointer and would like to resurface the tables as they are in less than ideal condition. Any suggestion on the best approach?

do you know a local friendly machine shop that can do the job?

Matt Day
02-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Could you post some pictures or describe the condition some more? My Northfield jointer was a school machine and apparently looked like a good workbench and was pounded on - still flat though. I knocked down a couple nicks that had high spots and called it good.

Blanchard grinding is likely the most economical, but taking too much material could get the tables out of flat.

lowell holmes
02-11-2018, 1:30 PM
I have used a local machine shop before. They did a good job at a decent price.
Find a local shop.

Roger Bull
02-11-2018, 2:02 PM
I just went through this in this thread: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?261875-Power-wet-sanding-with-mineral-spirits
Now that I know better I would not recommend wet sanding with mineral spirits.
I did get good results though. All of the rust and high spots from scratches are gone. I started with my ROS and dry sanded it. Worked my way up from 80 grit. Switched to wet sand at 400 grit.
If yours is like mine was you might want to consider sanding down the tables. The results might be just as good if you go dry all the way.

Darcy Warner
02-11-2018, 2:07 PM
Blanchard grinding sucks. Just had two skids full of bandsaw, jointer tables, planer bed, fences, pressure bars, etc. Surface ground. Largest piece was 36x36.378845378846