PDA

View Full Version : A tool box Rip saw?

steven c newman
02-11-2018, 11:38 AM
While driving along the World's Longest Yard Sale last year....came upon a saw that just seemed to saw..."Buy me!"
That big one, right up front...
A Warranted Superior. 6ppi, 17-3/4" long plate.
I fixed the damaged handle, shined the brass up..not sure of the maker...didn't find any etch.

The square shown with it?
Is a Stanley No. 20

Sooo, maybe a rip saw for the toolbox? Might be a tad easier to move around than the other "rip saw" I looked at..
Was just a tad too big to put in my van, anyway.

Al Launier
02-11-2018, 11:56 AM
The saw in the last picture is very similar to the one we used to run on our farm back in the 60s. It was the opposite hand & was hooked up to the PTO on our Farmall Cub tractor. We used it to cut logs for splitting into firweood. My father would place a log on the trough & run the log through the blade while I hung onto the end piece as it was being cut off. Scariest job I ever had. No guards, just exposed close to a high speed saw blade perhaps 30" diameter.

lowell holmes
02-11-2018, 6:00 PM
I have an old Disston that was old and sharpened do many times, the toe was almost pointed. I cut the saw plate to 20" length.
I re-toothed it, made a new handle for it. I also cleaned the grunge off of it. It is now my panel saw. It was a fun project.
I recommend that any hand woodworker learn to sharpen their own saws. Your knowledge will expand significantly.