PDA

View Full Version : Have you ordered your Bridge City Pencil Making Kit?

Dave Lehnert
02-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Just about the time you think you have every tool you need.

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/pencil-precision.html?utm_source=Bridge+City+Tool+Works&utm_campaign=97586a778f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_10_18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8072d037d5-97586a778f-246700649

William Adams
02-11-2018, 11:11 AM
I'm tempted --- I certainly really enjoyed my Chopstick Master, and this would facilitate making gifts which are a bit more accessible to folks.

Cary Falk
02-11-2018, 1:35 PM
WOW!, and people poke fun and Woodpecker.

Bill McNiel
02-11-2018, 1:39 PM
I had to check to make sure it isn't the first of April.

Frederick Skelly
02-11-2018, 1:50 PM
I'm speechless.

Well, almost anyway. For some (unfathomable) reason, this makes me think of Porsche building an SUV. At least Porsche had the good grace to put twin turbos on that beast.

But I'll bet Niemann Marcus sells a number of these these....

Brian Henderson
02-11-2018, 2:01 PM
Oh look, more absurdly overpriced crap made to appeal to the people with more money than sense. Pass.

Simon MacGowen
02-11-2018, 6:02 PM
Is that an American or China-made version?

If the price is for the US edition, anyone outside US seriously looking to buy the kit for fun or as a gift to give to someone should wait till John brings the Chinese edition to the market, which should be 20% to 35% cheaper.

As a woodworker, I am not interested in making chopsticks or pencils and so to answer your question, I have not ordered any of John's gizmos. I will also pass if he later comes up with a tooth-pick making gadget.

Simon

Bruce Page
02-11-2018, 6:20 PM
50 bucks a pencil is not too bad.:rolleyes: I wonder how many pre-orders they’ll actually receive.

Lee Schierer
02-11-2018, 6:32 PM
You can buy a lot of pencils for $600. Probably can even get your name or message printed on them.

Adam Herman
02-11-2018, 7:00 PM
duel purpose plane iron! as if the decided on that being much more efficient than supplying you with 2 plane irons for making pencils. also, where is the custom sharpening stone for those profiles!

johnny means
02-11-2018, 7:11 PM
Is it spring already?

Matt Day
02-11-2018, 7:25 PM
And a payment option? I’d gladly buy woodpeckers anything over that!

Randy Viellenave
02-11-2018, 9:24 PM
I had to check to make sure it isn't the first of April.

I'm a little skeptical too. It says "precision", but doesn't even specify metric or sae. How would I know what languages are supported?

Phil Mueller
02-11-2018, 9:59 PM
...from their website: I just can’t justify the ROI on this one.

”we assure you that it will be 15 of the best spent minutes of your life”

Tom M King
02-11-2018, 10:30 PM
If the leads are not prepared like this, I wouldn't even look at them (don't know why the pic got rotated):

Joe Jensen
02-11-2018, 11:37 PM
Don't buy the Bridge City kit without sending the pencils out to this guy. He used to offer a service where he would sharpen pencils for $20 each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMaP-_Cq_8
http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/

Bill Orbine
02-11-2018, 11:49 PM
Wonder what all those people who makes pens would think?

Bryan Lisowski
02-11-2018, 11:54 PM
Although some of his stuff is top notch, this would be a major pass for me. I think I will stick with the 10 pack from the dollar store.

Mel Fulks
02-12-2018, 1:19 AM
Good stuff,Tom! And it's quite possible the same magazine had an ad with a doctor advising on which cigarettes were good for your health!

Michael Rector
02-12-2018, 9:28 AM
In order from rational to irrational my life looks something like this:

Daily life - Buying a house, buying a car, paying bills, shopping for clothes, etc. These are the things that I diligently pay for with all rationality. Practical house, practical car, practical clothes, efficient utilities, groceries, etc.

My hobbies - Archery, astronomy, woodworking, cello, shooting sports, photography. These are the things that I slowly justify spending more than I really need to in order to pursue the hobby. Why get a Rikon when I can get a Hammer or Felder?

My addictions - Pens, pencils, watches. “Give me two of those!”

Just looking at this I want it redicuously badly, and my rational mind is valiantly trying to talk me out of it.

That’s who this thing is for.

Dave Richards
02-12-2018, 9:38 AM
Every time John trots out a new, expensive niche product like this, someone starts a thread like this one about how silly it is. There'll surely be similar threads on other woodworking forums, too. John's been doing this for a long time now so he must know something about his business. If things like his chop stick and pencil makers didn't sell, he wouldn't be making them. The same sort of thing happens with Woodpeckers and their One Time Tool offers. Enough people buy them to make it worth manufacturing them and then investing in development of new one time tools. Threads like these are great for them. Free advertising. It might be that no one from Sawmill Creek will buy a pencil maker from John but maybe they'll poke around the website and find something else to buy. Even if he never sells a single pencil maker, he's already gotten more in free advertising than he has in making the first one and taking a few pictures of it. Clearly he didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

Steve Demuth
02-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Every time John trots out a new, expensive niche product like this, someone starts a thread like this one about how silly it is.

What interests me is whether anyone buys his "tools" to use as tools? I'm guessing the answer is yes for the Kerfmaker. Much of the rest, though, I have my doubts. Any takers? Anyone out there using a Bridge City Toolworks plane on a regular basis at their bench?

Joe Jensen
02-12-2018, 10:36 AM
I don't have any of John's crazy expensive tools but I do have several of his signature squares, nearly all purchased from John when he was in a small leased space in Portland. I think when I bought the first one he only made one tool, that square. I used to travel to Portland every other week and the Bridge City factory, (a small space in an old factory in east Portland). Back then there were few choices of nice squares and I rules for Woodworking and I liked meeting the maker. Also I think all the tools I have have rosewood handles. John always encouraged use of the tools and at least back then you could have them reconditioned for like $5. Doubt that's the case today but it was a good reason to just use them. I still smile all the time when I use them.

Interesting, I just logged onto their site, after a many year absence. Wow, all the tools I own are discontinued and most now there seem pretty silly.

William Adams
02-12-2018, 10:36 AM
I use the HP-8 mini block plane which came w/ my Chopstick Master set quite regularly (replacing a current production Stanley 101). I'll grant that mostly I use it for small tasks where the depth skids won't get in the way, but I have removed those a couple of times when the project warranted it.

Simon MacGowen
02-12-2018, 11:29 AM
What interests me is whether anyone buys his "tools" to use as tools? I'm guessing the answer is yes for the Kerfmaker. Much of the rest, though, I have my doubts. Any takers? Anyone out there using a Bridge City Toolworks plane on a regular basis at their bench?

I have one of his measuring tools given to me as a gift that I use it now and then. Most of his products are collectibles in my opinion and his followers -- like the followers of Woodpeckers or Festool -- have money to feed their interests.

His chopstick and pencil jigs' target audiences are not ordinary woodworkers but general consumers who have the money to spend on novelty items. I suppose most of his chopstick jigs are sold to buyers in China where the product was launched. They are toys rather than woodworking tools to the interested buyers. The pencil making jig should not be much different.

No one needs to justify how he spends his money as long as it is his own money. I think it is silly to spend several hundred dollars on a square for woodworking purposes, just as someone will think I, as a hobbyist, am dumb to have spent well over $4,000 on a tablesaw.

Simon

Steve Demuth
02-12-2018, 11:38 AM
No one needs to justify how he spends his money as long as it is his own money. Simon

I agree - whether it's a he or she - and I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. I was merely asking whether woodworkers see Bridge City offerings as tools, or whether they are primarily objets d'art intended to live behind the glass in the drawing room, rather on the bench in the woodshop.

Simon MacGowen
02-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Even if he never sells a single pencil maker, he's already gotten more in free advertising than he has in making the first one and taking a few pictures of it. Clearly he didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

John has found a great partner in China, who is now making some of his tools for the non-US markets. He has proved what most of us already know that China is capable of producing craps as well as first class tools, depending on whether the importers are willing to set a high standard and pay for the manufacturing costs. He is a creative fellow and perhaps the new foreign revenue stream (the Chinese consumers have lots of money to spend judging from how willing they are to spend on new iphones) would allow him to put more resources into designing and producing new, real and even more affordable woodworking tools. It would be a win win for everyone.

Simon

David Bassett
02-12-2018, 1:21 PM
After reading several reviews I've sorta' wanted the Chopstick Master for a while. This thread got me to go look and watch some of the demo videos and it's really not that expensive for the tools & jigs it includes. It's just really expensive for something you'd use a couple times and put away. I think what I really want is someone I know to buy it, so I can borrow it a couple times. Best of both worlds! :)

Simon MacGowen
02-12-2018, 2:31 PM
After reading several reviews I've sorta' wanted the Chopstick Master for a while. This thread got me to go look and watch some of the demo videos and it's really not that expensive for the tools & jigs it includes. It's just really expensive for something you'd use a couple times and put away. I think what I really want is someone I know to buy it, so I can borrow it a couple times. Best of both worlds! :)

I think a couple of guys have posted their different versions of shop-made jigs to make chopsticks, using a bench plane or wooden plane(?). Not sure if their videos came out before or after John's jig was launched.

David Bassett
02-12-2018, 3:01 PM
I think a couple of guys have posted their different versions of shop-made jigs to make chopsticks, using a bench plane or wooden plane(?). Not sure if their videos came out before or after John's jig was launched.

Several show up in the suggestions if you follow John's link to his demo on Youtube. None of them are as precise & well made. If you just want to make chopsticks, they're well worth a watch. If you want a party activity where anyone, with very little supervision, could make their own chopsticks, the Chopstick Master is the only real option I've seen. If you think of it as $200 for something you'll use 2, maybe 3, times, it's too much. If you look at it as a tool... e.g. at LV a plane costs from $50 to $350. Then you add a track, a very clever depth stop, several jigs to cut different precise angles, a sharpening guide ($125 at Lie-Nielsen), and a $30 supply kit (yeah, you could make your own blanks, but....) ... maybe it's not so bad. But I haven't convinced myself to pay for it.

Frederick Skelly
02-12-2018, 9:39 PM
Every time John trots out a new, expensive niche product like this, someone starts a thread like this one about how silly it is. There'll surely be similar threads on other woodworking forums, too. John's been doing this for a long time now so he must know something about his business. If things like his chop stick and pencil makers didn't sell, he wouldn't be making them. The same sort of thing happens with Woodpeckers and their One Time Tool offers. Enough people buy them to make it worth manufacturing them and then investing in development of new one time tools. Threads like these are great for them. Free advertising. It might be that no one from Sawmill Creek will buy a pencil maker from John but maybe they'll poke around the website and find something else to buy. Even if he never sells a single pencil maker, he's already gotten more in free advertising than he has in making the first one and taking a few pictures of it. Clearly he didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

You're right on all counts Dave.

(But I'm not going to be one of those buyers! I'm not well-heeled enough to spend $600 on a toy. :D :D :D)

Dave Lehnert
02-12-2018, 11:17 PM
I would never spend this kind of money but thought the Joint Maker Pro is kinda a neat tool.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/tools/in-production/jmpv2-jointmaker-pro.html
I got to see a demo in person at the Popular Woodworking Shop (I think) a few years back.
I often wondered why they did not make things more affordable. But like one of the other post said above, It seems to be a business model that works.

William Adams
02-13-2018, 12:06 PM
Doing small production runs, I don't see how the price on the JointMaker Pro could be (profitably) reduced --- certainly all the predictions of Harbor Freight and the like making a cheap knock-off never came to pass.

peter gagliardi
02-13-2018, 12:22 PM
John started out probably 25-30 years ago, making very high quality basic tools for woodworkers. Back then, I was a fan of most of his stuff, even though I couldn't afford most of it.
Then, somewhere in the 90's, he took an abrupt left turn to "ridiculousville", and he has been there ever since.
He has learned probably that the people who know what quality tools are, also know how to find, evaluate, and restore the quality vintage tools.
Therefore, he had to develop a market, and he went to the "it's insanely overpriced, and just about totally useless for real work, therefore I must have it, because I don't know what else to do with all my disposable income" segment of the market.
Apparently it is working, he is still at it.
Too bad, because some of his early stuff was beautiful AND useful. What a waste.
Expensive gimmicky , and worthless.

John Sanford
02-20-2018, 8:58 PM
Not my cup of tea, but given the amount I've spent equipping my shop compared to the output, I'm not going to nay-say either BCT or any of their customers. I'd suggest that professional woodworkers take the same approach, lest YOUR customers see how dismissive you are on "frivolous" spending.

Yonak Hawkins
02-20-2018, 11:52 PM
... can even get your name or message printed on them.

Please don't mention that. I got into big trouble with my 8th grade math teacher for the message I put on pencils. Mr. Ruch, you're not really a rat fink. I was only joking.

Frederick Skelly
02-21-2018, 7:59 AM
Please don't mention that. I got into big trouble with my 8th grade math teacher for the message I put on pencils. Mr. Ruch, you're not really a rat fink. I was only joking.

That's a great story! Would love to hear the whole thing....

William Adams
02-21-2018, 8:53 AM
My understanding is that there was a serious health issue which resulted in the move away from traditional tools using rosewood and tropical woods.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/john-economaki-designer-of-tools/

I'd love to have one of the early tools to use, but for now, am very glad that the small aluminum block plane included w/ my Chopstick Master was so affordable.

Yonak Hawkins
02-21-2018, 11:25 AM
That's a great story!

My mom was very upset that she had to take a half day off work to go to my jr. high school principal's office so I could apologize to Mr. Ruch in front of her and the principal.

Bill McNiel
02-21-2018, 11:54 AM

FWIW - I use my TS-2 Square virtually every time I'm in the shop. It is an attractive, very well made, accurate tool that does what it is supposed to do. I don't remember what I paid for it but I do know I don't regret purchasing it.

Todd Zucker
02-21-2018, 12:37 PM
This makes me want the Chopstick Master.