PDA

View Full Version : My first real furniture project (not yet completed) - mainly with hand tools...

Marc Langille
11-10-2005, 8:42 PM
I guess I should've posted in this forum?

Bear in mind this is my real woodworking project. Before this was a lot of framing walls/capentry, plus some basic woodworking (shelving, etc.), and refinishing or repairing old furniture.

The only power tool used was a bandsaw to cut the basic taper on the legs, and a Felder to cut the mortise. The haunch was cut with the Japanese tooth dovetail saw, and squaring of the mortise was done with chisels.
I hand planed the legs to size and thought it might be interesting to demonstrate the difference on the grain between a freshly hand planed surface and the board that's been in a finishing planer, and not touched for a while.

I wasn't sure where to post (hand tool section or general woodworking), but I had to do this, so I'll finish the project, since it was too damn hot here until a few days ago to use hand tools. I'd be sweating all over the work... :eek:

I am thinking about detailing the aprons and legs with some inlay, and the bottom of the aprons will have a fluted bead along their length. That beading tool is really handy.
The ends of the apron are at 91 degrees, to ensure they fit the taper of the legs. The table top will have an underbevel to make it more visually appealing.

Please be kind to a newbie - I gotta start somewhere! :o

Richard Wolf
11-10-2005, 9:28 PM
Well it looks like you have a nice collection of tools and a good start on a Shaker style table (I assume). Looks like some nice work, keep us posted.

Richard

Dan Oliphant
11-10-2005, 9:31 PM
Looks like a good start, keep taking photos as you complete the piece so we can see the outcome.

Mark Stutz
11-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Marc,
Looks like a good start. I really appreciate you taking the time to post in progress PICS. I always learn from them. Thanks.

Mark

Bob Oehler
11-11-2005, 1:35 PM
Looks real nice and I too am assuming it a shaker table of some sort.
Please keep us posted with updates.

Have fun, and isenit (is that a word :eek: ) great to use hand tools, quiet and dust free. Besides we need to make all those nice shavings to start fires in our wood burners ;) .

keep up the good work
Bob Oehler