PDA

View Full Version : Next Build?

steven c newman
02-09-2018, 11:52 PM
Daughter was "hinting" that she would like a cabinet like the last build....or a Chest of Drawers.....hmmmm:confused:

Have another week or so, before I can go and buy a supply of lumber....since she has a penchant for painting all the projects I build for her:mad::mad::mad:..

I may just stop by Menard's in about a week, and load up on some Pine 1xs.....and see about building a "paint grade" version of the one I just completed..

Trying to figure how many boards to get...last one was 45bf. Not sure whether to buy 1x6s and 1 x 8s....or just all 1 x 6"s....

I can sort through the bins as much as I want....wondering what length to buy....8'? 10'? A boatload of 6'ers?

I could make the bottom case all drawers? Save the door work for the top cabinet? Might even get a 1 x 10 to build the "Bookcase" parts....sides and top.

Wondering IF anyone would like to read along? :rolleyes:

Mike Baker 2
02-10-2018, 9:35 AM
Always enjoy your threads.

John C Cox
02-10-2018, 9:40 AM
Sure.... Sounds like a fun build!

steven c newman
02-10-2018, 5:00 PM
Just talked with my Daughter.....drawers have been vetoed in the lower cabinet. She wants to be able to slide a few "bins" onto three shelves. No door. Still wants the "Bookcase" as is...and wants the little drawer between the two units. Pine has been approved, as in paint grade....I'll sand it down, and have it ready for primer & paint..and then hand her the brushes...

Need to buy a couple of the bins she wants, to get the spacings for the shelves. Shelves MAY be Pine,...or maybe plywood, again....hmmm. Wants a face frame to cover the front of the shelves.. More dovetails. Need to sketch out a few things, to figure out a cut list. Going to be a LOT of glue-ups....

Joe A Faulkner
02-10-2018, 7:17 PM
How far are you from Lima? I noted on Craigslist that their is a sawyer/mill that has poplar 4/4 for $2.10 a bf. IMHO poplar is easier to work with pine and a little more durable.
Noted another guy in Ottawa, OH with poplar at .50 bf - 75 ft. Claims that it is kiln dried.

steven c newman
02-10-2018, 8:52 PM
Question with those two ( I live in Bellefontaine,OH)) would be what IF I need just that one extra board later in the build....and these two don't have one?

Menard's does offer Poplar, as does Lowes......I get a better price and selection at Menard's. And, I can always go back and pick up that extra plank if needed...

There are a couple Amish sawmills in the area...although one did burn down a while back...they are more geared towards the Pallet Business all the other Amish seem to be doing.....

Stew Denton
02-11-2018, 3:54 PM
Steven,

Sounds like your "next project" has been decided. I don't know about you, but I am an easy mark for my daughters.....I am not good enough yet to build anything as big as what you build though. Fortunately, I don't think they realize how easy of a mark I am. They do know, however, that I am an easy mark for the grand kids.

Stew

steven c newman
02-12-2018, 6:14 PM
Wire Baskets ( 2, so far) are in hand.....NOW I can figure out some sort of cut list......Looking like a Stack of 1 x 8s, a couple 1 x 2s, and a couple ( or four?) 1 x 10s....
Shelves will be glued up panels...just Pine, after all;) Book case will use a few ! x 10s, including singles for it's shelves (3)....Top of it may be a glue up...

!0 footers would be pushing things getting them home in the van.:(...rather not strap them down to the top of the van....will see how 6 footers add up, and maybe 8 footers..:confused:
1 x 2s are for the face frames, and the door frame ( Bookcase...will also get a raised panel..)

Since I usually get paid on the third Wednesday of each month, will have to wait until then...:(
Will need to remember leather gloves to wear, when I go....splinters, and staples are a real danger to bare handed shopping...DAMHIKT...:eek:

Will be a lot of glue ups, as I will need a few panels made. Might lead to more cussing? Panels need to be about 16-18" wide, door panel may be a bit wider.
Maybe 3' long? Depends on the spacing I use.

Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is now working Overtime.....;)

steven c newman
02-13-2018, 10:19 AM
Upon further review....not too sure about these baskets she wants....I tried out the pair where the drawer on the lower cabinet is....both fit in....might have even fit IN the drawer....hmmm..
5" tall, by 8-3/4" wide, by 11" long...
The Boss says these are the biggest they had...may need to rethink something here....maybe 4 shelves..with a center guide strip, and along the sides?
May have my Daughter back up here, and talk this through a little better?

Til then..I do have some "leftovers" to practice with Ash and Maple, and Poplar cut-offs....maybe something small, like another fancy box?

lowell holmes
02-13-2018, 11:43 PM
I am partial to curly maple. :)

steven c newman
02-14-2018, 9:39 PM
Did an inventory of sorts.....or should I say "shorts"?
What is left of the Maple, and Poplar...and a bit of 1/4" plywood..
Mainly Pine, some Walnut scraps..a piece of cherry...
What is left of the Ash....hmmmm, need to spend a day, clearing off the bench?
Ya think?......Upstairs there is still a tool tote
Might have to find out what all is in this thing....anyone what to know?
Kind of hard to get a decent light..
Before anyone hollars about the sawsall...I do have a Mikita corded version....I save this Tool Shop thingy for rough, and wet stuff....
See IF you can ID anything else in that tote?

Or..do I have to spread it all out?

steven c newman
02-15-2018, 9:10 PM
Hmmm, two straight days of a cramp in the back off the left calf.....same spot. Will not let me up and down the steps to the shop....barely made it yesterday.

As long as I can sit, I am fine....almost. Either the thermostat is set too high, or I am just plain roasting...

Was going to work most of today in the shop....resaws and a few rip cuts....trying to get enough 3/8" -1/2" thick parts, to make a fancy box from the Ash....going to be a while, now.

steven c newman
02-16-2018, 9:23 PM
Ok, Daughter stopped by...NOW we know which bins she wants to use....I get to keep the drawer....and store the two wire baskets in it. Not enough in the bank this weekend to buy a load of wood, though. May cobble something out of Ash....to keep things going in the shop...

Leg has started to straighten out...."Uncle Charles" is under control. Might be able to get to the shop, and "putter" tomorrow...

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
02-16-2018, 9:36 PM
Charlie is a pain in the leg.
I like the idea of the bins in the drawer.
Cobble away. Ash is one of my very favorite woods to work with. I don't get enough of it. That and Walnut.

steven c newman
02-17-2018, 6:09 PM
Trying to make a "cut list" up...the "Sketch-up" is in my head.....Need to write down a shopping ling of boards I need to buy.

Base unit will be about 4" taller.
Still need to build a drawer in it.

Two shelves..will get a piece of 3/4" x 2' x 4' and make one saw cut.
Sides are glued up panels...three 1 x 6 x 36" per glue up. Think three 1 x 6 x 6'
Top of base unit will need 1 x 8 x 26"....one 8' should do that...three board glue up.
Drawer needs a 1 x 8 x 8 Front and two sides. Might have enough Poplar left over for the drawer's back...
Need enough 1 x 2 x 8' to make 2 web frames, and a face frame...
Need enough 1/4" Luann Plywood for the back of the case, and a drawer bottom...

The above was done in my head....may need an extra stick, just in case of bad spots.

Upper unit:
1 x 10 x 8' ...will need 3.
1 x 8 x 8' ...will need another 3...top and raised panel door.
A few more 1 x 2s....frame for the door panel to reside in, and a face frame.

Unit will use 36" long pieces for the sides, and 24" long pieces for the three shelves.

I have plenty of hardware on hand.....depends on the hinges she wants, and the handles used.

Nothing done with the Ash, today.....motivation hasn't shown up yet. :rolleyes:

Waiting on the funds to go and buy a few pine boards to get things started...

Stay tuned

steven c newman
02-17-2018, 10:24 PM
Went on-line to the one lumber store....and priced the boards for the base unit

3/4" x 2' x 4" ~$18 1/4" x 2' x 4' just under $7

The pine boards for the base will be about $35 or so.

Haven't priced for the bookcase part..yet.

Now, I just need to talk the Boss out of a few $20 bills...

steven c newman
02-18-2018, 3:48 PM
Hmmm, need to write down the shopping list, BEFORE I go to the stores..hate to come up a board short :rolleyes:

3/4" plywood has been dropped from the list. I can add a second 1/4"x 2' x 4' Luann panel and two 1x2x8' , build two webframes, and apply a 1/4" luann "skin" to the topside of the two shelves. Lowers the cost by about...$8....

Pine @ Menard's...plywood @ Lowes....The two are co-located in a nearby town. Hopefully it all fits in my van.....

Main reason for this post? It shows how I go about starting a project like this. This is a nice way to avoid making a bunch of errors in just flying to the shop to "make something".....My way of a plan for a build. Still all in my head....but the "details" can be worked out ahead of time, before the shavings hit the floor.

steven c newman
02-18-2018, 9:44 PM
Lumber has been bought....letting it sit a few days. Plywood came from the same store....Lowes was closed when we got over there...spent a long time, sorting through the racks....although...I did find a 1 x 6 x 8' with Birdeye figure...Hmmm, might be a drawer front...

Mike Baker 2
02-18-2018, 10:03 PM
Home Depot around here carries maple. Have gotten some nice figure from them.

steven c newman
02-18-2018, 10:28 PM
The fellow I bought the Ash off of, also was selling me Maple....Curly, birdseye, and spalted..depending on which stack we dug through.
I still have a few pieces I am saving....for a small, special project....

Mike Baker 2
02-18-2018, 10:30 PM
Lovely......

steven c newman
02-19-2018, 9:05 AM
Tis an ugly day, outside the window.....march has arrived almost two weeks early. Lots of thunderstorms, and someone does NOT like thunder boomers..
Nor does she like "going" out in the rain.

Since the shop is closed on Mondays.....maybe a "good thing"....as little riverlets are going across the floor of the shop.

There WAS a rack of Hard Maple at Menard's last night....it bit too pricey for this project's budget....same with this other wood..
I don't think these are "Paint Grade" items...

Maybe after the Monsoon quits around here, I can start cutting lumber.....stay tuned..

steven c newman
02-19-2018, 2:30 PM
Pictures of the new lumber supply?
2 plywood panels @ 1/4" x 2' x 4'...one is a 1/2" wider? Six 1 x2s,meh.....a 1 x 8 x8' rough sawn one face ( not a biggie) and four 1 x6 x 8'
Not too hateful for plywood, lighter stripe is from the second panel...
The 1 x 8, and the herd of 1 x 2s....1x8 will be a glue up, for the top of the case...best side up, worst of the knots in the back edge...
This is the "Birdseye Pine" 1 x 6...destined to be part of the drawer build. May go back, and see about a few more of these, for the raised panel on the bookcase part of the build..she can paint everything BUT the birdseye....

Kind of wet in the shop today.....keep looking outside, looking for some old guy building a large boat....

steven c newman
02-19-2018, 10:56 PM
Did not do any woodworking today...but I got a few things set up to do some work, later.
Mitre saw is set up, and ready to go...
That stack of Ash leftovers is removed from the workbench....hoping Shop Cat doesn't knock it over..
Most of the tools have been put away...tool well was cleaned out, and even swept out. Between the tool well and the mitre saw bench, there were about...20 screwdrivers? 10 pencils? 8 drill bits? All those squares.
Largest one is a Stanley No.20. Two steel rulers..
Will set things up, to do a bit of cross-cutting later.
Might even find some work for these things?
User chisels.....what wasn't a normal user, went into a drawer. May even use a few of these ...
Even that "New" Goodell-Pratt No. 408.

We'll see how Tuesday goes....stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
02-19-2018, 11:17 PM
The Birdseye Pine is lovely. Will make a beautiful project.

steven c newman
02-20-2018, 6:35 PM
Managed to get three 1 x 6 x8'ers down to the shop.....one at a time, and it wasn't easy..
"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here..." Watch your step, it isn't called a "header" for nothing...about shoulder high....
Only needed a couple tools. A D-112, 7ppi crosscut, a square, a tape measure, and a pencil...used a couple benchdogs to help hold things, while I cut each plank into two 40" long parts.
Pushed against one..
One at the other end, kept things from moving around...
Two planks done, one to go...had an "issue" at one of the cuts..
Big,old knot....well, since I cut out a profile to shape the "feet" on the sides of the case..
I'll set this into the center of the panel....profile will remove the bad spot....
managed to get the third plank to the shop, and cut to lengths....removed a boatload of staples....then stacked all six parts up on the bench....Couple of clamps to keep the stack in place. Will let that sit a while....hopefully they will stay flat enough to glue a couple panels together...

May try that tomorrow...need to joint the edges straight, too...stay tuned

steven c newman
02-20-2018, 9:59 PM
Parts are 40" long..wonder which Jointer plane to use.....guess it will depend on how tired my arms and shoulders are. May do each each at a time, then stack another to check how close they are to each other. May give the #8 a trial run....but thinking the #7c will do the best job..we'll see.

On that square I used to mark the crosscuts with...that brass face has a "T" shape to it.....there is a skinny groove for it to settle into, then they added a few screws to keep it in place.

steven c newman
02-21-2018, 4:30 PM
Seems March came in about two weeks early...hope it doesn't tak two more weeks ( in April) to leave....thanks to the local "Monsoons" in my area of the woods, there is also a chance of water across the floor of the shop....just enough to make a mess of things....like a glue up that I would set on the floor. So..I have to leave each on the bench, until the clamps can come off, and I can set the panels where they can stay dry..

Meandered to the shop for a little "Me Time"
Unclamped this stack, sorted through to get the first three boards for a panel. One of which was that one marked "center". Tried the edges,,,one needed jointed..
40" long, meant I could use the Crochet and the leg vise...Plane?
Made nice Moxxon TP curlies, once the edge was jointed...oh, the plane?
Stanley No. 8...I think it is a type 7..anyway, tried fitting the three panels dry..
Just sitting there...no clamps used..mooshed some glue around..
Had to move things back a bit, so a clamp could be used. Finger clamp is only to keep things from moving, just enough pressure to hold things still
Four clamps, and a couple cauls. Will let this sit a while.
Cauls and their clamps. Far caul rests on the benchtop. Have already sorted through the other 3 boards....and marked a "center" board for it.
Panels are about 3/4" x 16-3/8" x 40"....hope these are a tad lighter than the ones out of Ash were...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
02-22-2018, 2:16 PM
Ok, between the two power outages today (HIGH winds around here?) managed to get first panel out of the clamps, then joint and glue, and clamp up panel #2
Used a couple pipe clamps this time around....doubled up the cauls..
Finding SOME use for those Ash scraps....
Jointer Plane?
Stanley No. 8....a steel yard stick I use as a straight use...called a Tinner's Rule
Moxxon TP? These just roll right up...
First panel is sitting way back there, out of my way, and out of any water that MIGHT go across the floor ( sitting right between two "creek beds")
Will get these two panels cleaned up, and ready for feet profiles, and four sliding dovetail sockets each....while I make 4 webframes...stay tuned.

Mike Baker 2
02-22-2018, 2:37 PM
You are moving along. Nice work. Hope you don't get any water.

steven c newman
02-23-2018, 1:39 PM
Been dry down there, so far..

Panel is out of the clamps....need to schedule enough time IN the shop, to get something done.....

steven c newman
02-23-2018, 8:55 PM
Cleaned things up a bit..
Ran a smaller plane a bit
Stanley #4. Laid both together, to see how close they are to matching each other...ran a square on the ends...
Will try to shoot the ends...a few high spots....one panel was both wider and longer than the other..
Might be able to joint that off, with the #8....
Might just saw the ends square, by clamping them together.
Maybe tomorrow, I can get the entire afternoon and evening to hide IN the shop?
Once these two are matched up, I can saw the foot profiles. Stay tuned...

steven c newman
02-24-2018, 6:59 PM
Late start today...but..
Ganged the two panels up, and trimmed the ends square. Now they match each other for height...
Left them ganged up. and jointed the edges so they matched up. Set up the Wards 78..
to mill a rebate for the case's back to hide in...also used a few toys..
To lay out, and cut out the profifle for the feet..
Nuttin fancy....set the panels to where I could figure out which was the inside, before that rebate was done...
Then set up to lay out a few sliding dovetail sockets...
Used a scrap from the 1 x2 I'll be making the webframes from. Needed a space at the top, for braces to attch the top to. Used a drawer side blank and that scrap. Needed a kicker, and where the frame the drawer will ride on.
BRB, need a bit more room....4 hours of shoptime...;) Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
02-24-2018, 7:10 PM
I'm curious on how a panel set into that rebate is attached. Do you simply glue it in, use screws?

steven c newman
02-24-2018, 7:15 PM
Ok, all that layout was to locate where the sliding dovetails would go....used the bit to mark the center line..
Then set up the fence, again...
Depth of cut was 3/8" deep. Doesn't take very long to set up for each cut. Distance from the center of the bit, to the edge of the router. Used the framing square to make two marks, then draw a line to set the fence to. Make the cut, move down the panel...
Once one panel was done, I transferred the marks for the fence to the other panel

Framing square to carry the marks across the panel. set the fence a few times...
Some spots were a bit tricky to cut, though..
Had to come in as a climb cut, to avoid blowing that knot out...then cleaned the shop up, since the panels were done.
Decided to set up to make parts for the 4 web-frames I need to make. Bench was cleared off, and a small mitre saw was set up..
Going to be fun...tomorrow. Back stiffened up, time to close up for the day. Might have gotten a little bit done, today:rolleyes:
Those web-frames are to slide into the dovetail slots....two will get a plywood "skin" on the top...to make the two shelves.
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
02-24-2018, 7:20 PM
Glue and screws...I don't trust nails. I use the plywood panel to help square the case...I get one corner, then one side, then work along until it is all in place...usually there is a screw into each web-frame, near it's center..

Pat Barry
02-24-2018, 7:34 PM
What do you mean by climb cut?

steven c newman
02-24-2018, 7:42 PM
When you bring the router through a cut the "wrong" direction....where the rotation of the bit "pulls" you along.

Mike Baker 2
02-24-2018, 8:39 PM
Thanks, Steven. And yeah, don't like nails, either.

steven c newman
02-25-2018, 12:25 PM
This morning...have hauled the 1 x 2 x8' sticks to the shop.....IF I can get a bit of shop time, I'll start to cut them down to the sizes needed. Four webframes, one with a kicker, and a face frame of two stiles and four rails.....IF everything goes as planned ( and a wee bit of luck) I can start to get them built..I hope.

steven c newman
02-25-2018, 7:53 PM
Got the parts cut....
Eight rails for the web-frames..
Eight stiles for the web-frames...
Four rails for the face frame, and..
Two stiles for the face frame. need to put this mitresaw away, time for the other one..
Langdon 75...need to set the depth stops..
Also got out a stock holder, to help hold the parts..
So I can start making tenons....stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
02-25-2018, 8:57 PM
I could have bought one of those big mitre saws, a Stanley, I think, from the same wood worker I bought my vise from. It was in great shape, but it was just too big;don't have the room. But I slobbered all over myself looking at it.
He had a Moxon vise for cheap, too, but it was too wide for my bench. If he is around this year, and still has it, I'll buy it and store it in the dang shed. Both of them.

steven c newman
02-26-2018, 6:38 PM
Normal Monday....chisel poked a hole in my hand....Thought I'd put a few things away....wound up working for over 2 hours....this will take a few entries ( 30+ photos?)
Hung the saw up with the other two..
And set up the mitre box to be stowed away..
This way I can stash it out of the way. Dug up the mortise jig..
Set this aside until later....have to find out what size to make the tenons, first
Used a piece of scrap the same size as the stiles, to mark where they will be on top of the panels...
Marked the front and back. Then grabbed a rail, got it centered between the two, and marked for tenon length..
On each end...then marked the thickness of the tenons..1/4" or so and set up the Langdon Mitresaw. Once the thickness was marked out, a test cut was made..
Left the saw like this, while I adjusted the depth stops..
With the saw's spine resting on the guide's bearings. Otherwise, it will cut too deep..DAMHIKT :rolleyes:
Once that was set, I could mark the rest of the rails, and make a bunch of cuts..
Shoulder cuts were done on both ends, have 8 rails to get done...

Stay tuned for part 2 of today's follies...:rolleyes::D

steven c newman
02-26-2018, 7:02 PM
Ok..Part 2, coming up....
Once all the shoulder cuts were done, cheek cuts were next. I don't think the mitre can do those very well....so
Bandsaw works..IF the edges are square to the sides....we have ways to fix that..
Just one at a time? A Millers Falls No.8 works well....took a while, but
All 8 rails now have tenons...one tenon did need a trim, though..
With a "Chin-Powered" chisel...Stacked all the rails out of the way, except one, needed it to lay out the mortises...
Got out the tools, first..
laid out a mortise...
Saw the lines..
Then scoot the stile back into the jig, and chop and pop the waste out..then a dry fit
There are now two mortises done...14 more to do...
Maybe next time....camera battery was about dead, back was hurting, again...I swept the floor, and closed the shop...@ 1700 hrs.

Stay tuned....

steven c newman
02-27-2018, 7:05 PM
Ok...the skinniest chisel I am using right now...
The one on the left...
Well to start the work off yesterday, it decided to skip out of a cut..and into the side of my hand..
Started as a "slice" then turned over into a "dig"....That will teach me about working on a Monday in the shop.

Tuesday morning, I test fitted the second mortise,,was a bit too tight....wound up splitting out the side.....trimmed the tenon down until it did fit, cleaned out the mortise a bit better..applied glue to the tenon, and added a clamp to hold it and the mortise together, until the glue dried.....I also glued the other end's joint.

Cardio Doctor's visit today, then a bit of shopping, just now settling down to dinner. Bought a few planks for the bookcase unit....have them sitting in the house, to get them used to the place. Once this lower cabinet is done, I can get started on the bookcase..I hope..

Stay tuned

Mike Baker 2
02-27-2018, 7:53 PM
Hope the doc went well.
Nice work so far.
I have cut myself a few times with the saw; sharp saws cut quick.

steven c newman
02-27-2018, 11:20 PM
Cardio Doctor added a pill to the daily-dailys.....

When to check on the parts in the shop..
This one had a blowout when I test fitted the tenon....trimmed things a bit, added some glue and a clamp...other end fit just fine...
I let this set while I was out&about....Unloaded the latest batch of pine boards from the van. A bit bowed, will clamp them up while they get used to the shop.
Got a few more mortises chopped...had one the needed a little luck to do..
Stupid place to put a knot....soo, once I was done, and some glue was used..
"Missed it by that much, Chief"...hung the first frame out to "dry"
And worked on the next one. There are some very bad edges...
But, since these first two frames will get a skin of 1/4" plywood on their show sides....these nasty spots will not be seen...unless you can see through plywood..
Mortise Jig also comes in handy, as an extra hand on glue ups....Normally, I would just add a couple nails, ala Norm Abram....but, since the edge get a dovetail milled, I didn't want to hit any nails. C clamps are just fine, until the glue dries. Problem is...I don't have enough c clamps IN the shop....may have to go to Harbor Freight and stock up...I caught a pencil, trying to run away...
And, it almost made it...

Two frames are done, two more to go. Once I have all four built and the glue is cured, I can gang them up, and mill a dovetail "pin" on the ends. Skin the two "shelves" and add a kicker to the drawer frame...

Once the frames are installed into the sides, and a back is installed to keep the case square ( I hope) then the real fun can happen..face frame came be made..

Have something special planned for the face frame....kind of a surprise....so...stay tuned.

James Pallas
02-27-2018, 11:40 PM
I still think you have way too much fun Steven. I enjoy watching your builds.
Jim

Mike Baker 2
02-28-2018, 12:00 AM
That pencil said, "Free at last, free at last, thank.....awww maaan!" :D
I love how a bit of glue can make things O.K.

steven c newman
02-28-2018, 7:33 PM
Got the last two frames glued up...Used a few "old tools";)
Hmmm..mallet must have run off..
Ah, there it is...BTW, the apron makes a decent dust cover for the plane til....
Had to add a piece of sandpaper to the mortise jig..
It IS starting to get a bit worn....:rolleyes:
Once the lines are marked for a mortise..I use the backsaw.
Trying to stay inside of the layout lines..or at least split them....Then, dig a small hole..
Then come in from the end, and pop the waste out.
Check the fit...then glue and a clamp, and set for square. Then onto the next one.
Until all are done....sweep the floor, turn out the lamp, done until tomorrow...let it be...:cool:

After errands are run tomorrow, I gang all four up, and set up to mill dovetail "pins" on the ends. Should be a "fun" day:rolleyes:
Stay tuned:D

steven c newman
03-01-2018, 9:18 AM
Pills for Breakfast..about like George Jetson....debating between recycling a load of empty pop cans for lunch money....or some shop time...45 degrees and rainy outside...maybe a bit of shop time...before Second Breakfast?

steven c newman
03-01-2018, 11:35 AM
We get more things done before lunch than....
Ok, clamps were taken off the last frames...then all four were ganged together...router.noisey, messy, uncomfortable machines...
But, when you have to use them...
Trued up the edges so they all matched each other, set the fence on the router a few times..
And made a mess of the place..
Don't use the thing enough to remember which way to start a cut...
Once all of those were done, back to the hand tool stuff..
Made sure the front and back edges all matched up..
Sand away any rough spots, and start to install...no glue used..
Some slid right in...always have one that needed a little help...block of Maple & a Hammer..
Then stand it up.
Kicker needed a couple countersunk screw holes....then a spot of glue.
Need to install the shelf panels and the back of the case. Next time I go to the shop...stay tuned...:D

Zach Dillinger
03-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Next build is nothing too exciting, just replacing this, my 15 year old and totally worn out bench hook.

Mike Baker 2
03-01-2018, 12:00 PM
I use a router and templates when I build electric guitars. They are a wonderful tool for a lot of tasks, but they are IMO the most dangerous power tool out there, particularly hand held ones. And the grain fools me with them way more than I care to admit.

steven c newman
03-02-2018, 2:31 PM
Well, tried a bit of shop time today Marked one of the plywood panels for the sizes needed to add panels to the two shelves.....but, I couldn't get TO my circular saws to cut the plywood....tried a handsaw...just 1/4" plywood.....somehow, the handsaw fell to the shop floor,,,,guess what it landed on..
gonna be one of THOSE days....well I stomped up the steps, grabbed a different saw. If it was to be an ugly day, might as well use an ugly saw
I even got the panel for the back of the case cut..
Cleared the bench, stood the case up on the bench....
That BIG hammer?
I start a nail, then hold the 32oz hammer under the target area. And drive the nail home. Pliers to save my fingers...
There is a bead of glue all around the edges of these two panels, then a few nails....more of a way to "clamp" the panels in place.
Cleared another bench.....
So I could lay the case down, and install the back
Beats laying it on the floor? Checked for square..
Meh...we can fix that....laid down a bead of glue everywhere the plywood will hit, marked the center lines of the frames
Stay tuned for the next episode ( photo space thingy..)

steven c newman
03-02-2018, 2:43 PM
Panel laid into the glue beads...a clamp to pull the sides in a bit, and hold the case square..
A line of screws along one edge....Pull things into square, one screw on the other edge....then work until it's screwed down. 3 screws into each frame...
Then lift this thing off my bench, and onto the floor...
Clamps to pull the front edge into the frames....And set out some parts..
Corner blocks, need to miter the ends, and then glue and screw to the frame....these will hold the top in place. Have to drill slotted holes for the screws.
laid out most of the parts for the face frame...as it will be next to get done...
Need a slightly wide rail for the top of the frame...haven't decided on the bottom one...yet. Face frame will get a little something different..
Hmmmmmm...stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
03-02-2018, 3:39 PM
Your threads are a case study in how to build furniture. Keep posting them; best instruction a newbie like me can get.

steven c newman
03-03-2018, 12:38 PM
There are some days that I should just take the day off.
hauled a 1 x 4 x6' board to the shop....a spider wanted to hitch a ride.
Marked it for length, used the Disston D-112 to crosscut for the length needed. ( and did NOT drop the saw, this time.:rolleyes:)
Marked it for width....bandsaw actually made a fairly straight rip cut (:eek:) barely needed the Millers Falls No.14 to joint the edge.
Got the Stanley#45 out, changed the cutter to a bead cutter.....test drive...had to reset the fence a bit higher, and tighter to the cutter.
test drives....hand was having the shakes a bit too bad..just the right hand. I am having trouble drinking a Mountain Dew with the right hand....left hand is steady as a rock? No real "concentration" on what I was doing.....decided to set the tools down, turn out the light, and walk out of the shop.

Was getting to the point that mistakes would be very easy to make.....maybe another time for the shop? If one's mind is not on what they are doing in a wood shop, it is best to just leave the shop. No mistakes that way, and I still have all the parts of me I went in there with.

steven c newman
03-03-2018, 1:52 PM
Camera is a bit shaky, but here goes...
From this morning's Follies:
The 1 x4, after it had been cut to length and width
After resetting the fence....
Test drive that didn't work..
Not close enough to the edge (fence problem) and it is on the wrong edge of the part..
Need to do two beads on THIS face.....right at the pencil marks...
At least THIS saw worked as needed..Disston D-112
Repaired handle....will sit this aside for a while, maybe I can use..
The Richardson Brothers saw...or..
This 1953 D-8? I tend to "rotate" saws through a project....
Maybe later, or tomorrow, I can get back to work?
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-03-2018, 10:49 PM
sat around all day....stewing about this morning......finally decided to get the head in gear and try again...slowly. Made a jig to serve as a plane-stop..
You wouldn't think it would be this hard to make a molding...
Added a stop to the vise, to lock the part into the jig....
It also helped when I needed to do an edge..
Had to triple check to make sure I was cutting the correct corner....one cut on this edge, lay the board flat, and run down both edges..
Something like this. The two stiles get this set-up....the four rails get just two cuts...and the top rail only one....got both stiles done..
Had to keep clearing out shavings..a LOT of shavings..
Maybe tomorrow, I can reset that jig, and do the shorter rails?
I think that will do it, for one day.

steven c newman
03-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Will try again, later today. Hopefully I will have the brain in gear. Will need it to lay out for the mortise and tenon work. Those beads will meet up in a 45 degree joint. THAT should be fun to do....:rolleyes:

Once this face frame is done, and installed, I can glue up a top panel, and build a drawer....at the rate I am working ( Speed of Smell?) it might take all week....;)

On that Stanley #45....I have a depth stop set. Keeps me from going too deep at the ends of the beads, which is fine. However, the depth stop is also a shavings trap.

Have to keep clearing the mouth of the plane, or it will clog up after..3 full passes. It makes a LOT of Pine flavoured "Angel Hair" shavings....

Used that Stanley #4, T-10 on all the edges...and faces. These 1 x 2s have saw marks everywhere, as they are made by ripping them from a wider 2x board.

Hand sanding to dress up the beads a bit...

had a scratch awl handy....worked nicely to clear the 45's shavings. I'd have to go and look, to see what size bead cutter I used...
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-04-2018, 3:41 PM
Well, handy was still shaking...decided to see how well I could do today....Had to take a break along the way...but..
Turned this around to where I could do a little work..
With the mitresaw. Corner blocks were made..
Glued and screwed into place. One screw into the side of the case.
Went to lay out where the tenons will start at....had trouble holding a pencil....
Set up the top rail..
Made it S4S...
Flattened out a slight bow. Ran the 45 along the edge.
Until a bead appeared
Was using this to lay out for tenons...couldn't hold the pencil..:(.decided to take a little break....

I did manage to get ONE end marked out.....all kinds of trouble with just the right hand.:mad:

Stay tuned, as after a break, I tried again...:rolleyes:

steven c newman
03-04-2018, 3:51 PM
Well, a long break, decided to try again....
The 1 x 2s needed S4S treatment as well...made quite a mess..
Between the #4 smoother and the Stanley45....Had an area between the fence and the skate,,, turned out to be a trap for shavings..Had to keep an eye on it.
Managed to get all the rails beaded. Even got the back two corner blocks installed..
Then swept the flor, and called it a day....hard to hold the planes...
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-05-2018, 9:18 AM
This being a Monday...shop will stay closed today. Need to check why the hand tremor is happening, anyway. Prefer to have the use of the right hand, since I am right handed.

Bored with this site today......rather than go off on some.....may just do lay out work in the shop. Now, IF I can hold a pencil......may have to lay a few extra ones out on the bench.....gets old bending down to pick up a pencil....May not be anything sharper than those pencils in use, today.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-05-2018, 7:00 PM
Well, at least I tried...
A few layout lines were drawn....Mitresaw was set up for tenon work, again...
Got one mortise dug....New Haven Edge Tool Co. mortise chisel was having "issues".....Had to stop and sharpen it and a couple others...been awhile since the last sharpening....must have been all that Ash. A bit of saw work..
Tenons are done. Need to layout and chop the mortises...
We'll see what tomorrow brings....stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-05-2018, 9:55 PM
I might go back and try to resharpened that one mortise chisel....I only went up to 600 grit Medium India....apparently, a knot in the Ash project before this one chip the edge on the chisel.....have a very coarse stone to re-do the edge with, that went to the 600.....a few trips on the strop, and it should be back in business....Had to use a Buck Brothers (pre-Home Depot) sash chisel instead...May have to take the time to re-sharpen a few chisels.....someday.

Tenons are done, now. est fit of the top rail was done..then it was fine tuned. had the stile a hair too long.....at least there wasn't a blow-out when I was chopping out the mortise. I later trimmed it flush with the top rail. I clamped the stile to the front corner of the case, so I could mark where the rest of the rails will go.

We're getting there...slowly. Didn't feel like messing too long with very sharp objects tonight..only dropped the pencil..3 times...
Stay tuned, maybe I can get the face frame done?

Mike Baker 2
03-05-2018, 10:59 PM
I feel you on the chisels. I sharpened mine to 1k, then went to a piece of slate I use as a finisher. Made wonderful progress on my arm hair. Went to cut dovetails on some pine for my current project, and found it really needs a finer edge.
Gonna go back to 1k, then move to a 6k, and maybe 1 micron lapping film. See what that does for me.
You should ask your doc about that hand. The cardio doc as well. Some medications can do weird things.
I have neuropathy, nerve damage, carpel tunnel, etc. I get mini tremors fairly regularly, but I know what is causing it. It is not so bad right now, though aggravating. I can work with it well enough that I can find sort of a rhythm. Can even still shave with a straight. But it WILL get worse, and i'm as prepared as I can be for it.
Please, see a doc about that.

steven c newman
03-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Seeing him this coming Wednesday afternoon....Shakes are all the way up to the shoulder...and a headache around the right eye...

Mike Baker 2
03-06-2018, 1:25 AM
Good. I will pray for you, that he finds the cause and can treat it.

steven c newman
03-06-2018, 7:47 PM
Dropping back here, and start a new line....

Stop the new med for a day....shaking is starting to go away....cotton mouth, and headache still around. Well, after supper, I did a little shop time...laid out some toys..
Hmmm, something missing here?
Ah, there it is..being a bit stand-off-ish....chopped a few mortises
Test fit a few..
Until all 8 were done...
Glue was used....maybe a tad too much..:rolleyes:
Meh..a little clean up..but the face frame is now in the clamps..
Will let this mess sit overnight....then try and install it tomorrow....sometime.

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
03-06-2018, 7:55 PM
I'm glad the shaking is a bit better. Medicine might be the culprit, it seems.
And I always use too much glue; I figger the joint'll spit out anything it don't want. :P

steven c newman
03-07-2018, 10:17 PM
Being scheduled for a scan of the head....Doc seems to think there may be a "bleeder" caused by the new med....making the eyes twitch, as well.

Got home and was just going to sit.....not happening. Got things set up to install the face frame....Got the case back up onto the benches, and used a few clamps to pull things into alignment...
Glue and counter-bored screws. Worked my way down one edge....the turn the case around, and worked down the other edge. Finally was able to get this off my bench..
As I have use for both the bench and that saw...laid the case on it's side...planed the edges so they matched each other..
And trimmed the feet to match the stiles..
I also wanted the feet to be level...high tech cutter to make the cuts..
Disston D-112. Stood this up on all four feet..
Sitting nice and steady, no rocking going on.

Hauled a 1 x 8 x8' plank to the shop....stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Ok, the glue joints on the face frame?
Will need a bit of clean up...and I need to mill a bunch of tapered plugs..
Now, about that 1 x 8. I needed three pieces cut, @ 27" long...
Still learning how to use the saw...
Had one spot I needed to cut out of the plank..
There is no way that thing is going into the top....had a smaller one one the part I did use....but, it was ripped off, when I cut that board to width.
As I only needed 18" in width for the panel.
Still need to joint those edges, and do a glue up.....then I can start on building the drawer.
Stay tuned....will update both this project, and the scan on my head....

Mike Baker 2
03-07-2018, 10:53 PM
Nice work!
Glad you saw the doc. Hope they get you squared away fast. That ain't nuttin to play with.

steven c newman
03-08-2018, 4:26 PM
I was just going to take a nap, today...Hmmm, one, I can seem to sit still, and two...
Maxwell and Miss Bandit took MY nap spot...
Tried to flatten a few boards, and joint a few edges, instead...
But, 10 pounds is still..10 pounds..don't care how nice the shavings are..
Decided a Jack plane might be better...
Almost the same results..
Got the face grain flattened, edges jointed..just to get a three board panel glued up..
Let this sit a day. Then clean things up.
Whenever someone asks about a "Basic Set of Hand Planes" I will show them this..
Jointer, Jack, and Smoother....throw in a block plane, and they are all set...

Will need to add runners for the drawer to slide on..and a guide strip to keep it centered in the opening. May do that...after the top is on.

Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
03-08-2018, 4:31 PM
I need me a jointer, but I'm not in a hurry. One will come along eventually. Would like a bit nicer Block. That'll come soon, too.
Nice work. Now relax and pet those dogs; they look so poor and neglected. :P

James Pallas
03-08-2018, 8:26 PM
Nice work on the beaded face frame Steven. I have some shaky problems at times. Have learned to keep hands away from each other when holding sharp objects, not fun. Be double careful until the doc works it out.
Jim

steven c newman
03-09-2018, 5:29 PM
Well, top is out of the clamps...set it aside, and made a pair of wood runners for the drawer to slide on, then made a pair of guide rails, to keep the drawer centered as it slides. Install was easier with the top off. Had to head for the hospital for the CT Scan.....had to stop woodworking until I got back home...

Passed this site on the way, though..
Brand new Amish Saw Mill....been up and running maybe a month, or so..
Hmmm, might have been a bit too big for their saw? Place hasn't even sided the new house, yet.
Next farm west of here (also Amish) takes this supply of lumber and builds pallets.

Maybe after awhile, I'll try soon shop time myself....stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-09-2018, 9:20 PM
Doc just called, CT Scan did NOT show any sort of "mass"....if the symptoms get any worse..they will try an MRI....

Ok. Got tired of the arguements elsewhere...went to the shop to do something they are aren't....wood working..
Cleaned the glue joints....
Trimmed the ends square...saw IS a Vintage "panel saw"..
Smooth planed both the top and underside of the Top..
Marked the corner blocks for slots..
Used a Millers Falls drill to do the slots...
Drill a hole straight through, then rock the drill back and forth to make it a slot....gently, or the bit will snap..
Added a 1 x 1 runner for the drawer to ride on, and a 1 x 1 guide to keep the drawer centered...did both sides.
Sat the case onto the top, both upside down on the bench. Added a screw to each slot, roughly in the center of the slot. Then set the case on the floor, have other jobs to do...stay tuned, part 2 of toady's doings coming right up...

steven c newman
03-09-2018, 9:29 PM
Smoothed top again....block plane to ease the edges a hair...needed a corner detail..
Used another vintage saw..
and cut away the waste..
Sanded the saw marks off, smoothed the curve. Set up the router with a cove bit..
And cut a cove on the front and both side edges...
Set the case aside..
As I need the room to build a drawer, next....noticed that I did have a few panel saws hanging on the til...
Debating on whether to do through dovetails on the drawer front....or 1/2 blind ones...
At least I don't have to lift this off the bench, again..
Just need to build the drawer for this case, then start the bookcase half....stay tuned...I'm plumb worn out....

Mike Baker 2
03-10-2018, 12:05 AM
Good news on the CT scan. Sucks though that all they can say is, "If it gets worse..." . Was hoping they might be able to treat it.
Love the panel saw.

steven c newman
03-10-2018, 5:40 PM
Drawer is about done...had to run to the Blue Borg to buy a board for the back of the drawer....Have about 40-something in photos to process down to something post-able.....Test fits have been done...
Maybe later, I'll post a bit

steven c newman
03-10-2018, 7:53 PM
Dropping back here, again. as this next "chapter" is a bit long....Was going along fairly well..until I came up a board short, today. had to go and BUY a 1 x 6 x 4' at the Blue Borg.....$5 and change? Ouch. It also had almost that much in staples...even had to pull another board off of the one I wanted....sheesh.

Ok, I had a fancy plank of pine, that I wanted held back, to make the drawer front something special...
Tried to center the knots in the middle of a piece....wasn't happening...maybe this will do?
Drill a hole, lots of glue....hadi-a-knot?
Finally wittled down the 8' plank to this usable piece. Handsaw is my Disston D-112.
Ran this around, to try and flatten the board a little better.... Had two pieces from the other day, that I saved back as drawer sides...they needed a little work, too
Widths didn't quite match...we have ways...trimmed the blank for the drawer front, to where it would fit the opening..
Then started to get things set up for through dovetails..
And got the backsaw down from it's hook..
And a can of Mountain Dew....got the shop stool over to where I could USE it...
That is about it for this episode, stay tuned..BRB..

steven c newman
03-10-2018, 8:04 PM
Part 2: Wound up working on the edges of the side pieces..
Until they were at least square..
laid these two out, side by side, marked a top (T) a bottom(B) an inside, and the front (F) and set one aside.
Pins first in this shop. I set the angle with a router bit, then set the sliding bevel to that angle...and layout some lines..then mark on the faces where to cut..
Then used the backsaw to make the cuts..
Trying to split the lines...didn't matter a whole lot, as I mark the tails from the pins..
Chopping toys..
tools for a knifewall...then chop a little on one face..
Then flip the board over..
But, out of picture space, again...bRB....

steven c newman
03-10-2018, 8:15 PM
Oh yeah..flip the board over, and remove the rest of the waste..
Pins are done on this end. Transfer the lines to the other end, since the pins are on the drawer's front...but, after the other end of the front was done..
I could reset things, and mark out the tails..
A sharp pencil to mark where the pins will go..
Now, I have a terrible time cutting angled cuts with a handsaw,,so..a bandsaw does the next step, staying inside the lines..
Then a dry fit...
Rather a bit tight...anyway, then repeat for the other end..
Both are about 1/2 way assembled. Time for the next step..
Change out the bead cutter (#23) and install the #12 straight cutter..set up a little jig to hold things still..
Stay tuned for the next episode..BRB..

steven c newman
03-10-2018, 8:23 PM
Jig wasn't all that complicated...a couple blocks, a couple screws..
And then run the 45 until a groove for the plywood bottom is done...reset the jig..
And groove some more...marked out what size plywood panel was needed, cut that to size...then assemble things for a test fit...
Just to see how close things were....started to set up to add the back....didn't have a board to use?
Closed the shop for now. Went out and bought a 1 x 6 x 4' board...decided I had had enough fun for one day

Maybe tomorrow, I can finish up the drawer? Stay tuned...

Mike Baker 2
03-10-2018, 10:32 PM
I need popcorn for these threads!
Nice!
The pine for the drawer front is lovely, and I like seeing you cut dovetails with a big backsaw. I have been looking for a "dovetail saw"; cannot find anything that looks even close to size. But there is an antique shop near me that has 3 or 4 backsaws that are a bit smaller than what you are using. Funds permitting, I think I'll pick one of those up. Right now I'm using a cheap Ryoba I bought from Harbor Freight; it works well, but you cannot sharpen it. Once it dulls I'll have to buy a new one. I prefer something that lasts a bit longer than that.

steven c newman
03-11-2018, 8:57 AM
The big backsaw is just a Disston No. 4...filed rip, 9ppi I think. It takes 8 strokes to cut down to 3/4" depth. At one time, I did have a couple Gents saws..sold them as being too hard on my hands to grip...they also kept twisting in the cut. I tried a thinner saw for a while ( No.4 was out for a sharpening) it tended to flex a bit more than I liked.

I have 3 main users in the shop, right now....a Disston IMP 6ppi rip, a Disston D-112 crosscut, and the old No.4 Have a few others I can "rotate" through, except for the No. 4.

One little tip: Have a plain old candle handy....rub the saw plate along the tooth line, and maybe an inch above the teeth....and hang on. Works as well on the soles of my planes...reduces friction.

Mike Baker 2
03-11-2018, 9:07 AM
Yep, I use the candle on my planes and saws. Works a treat.
You speak about the Gent's saws. I have considered them but scrapped the idea for the same reasons as you. I already have a Dozuku and Ryoba, which have the straight pull handles like the Gent's, although much longer. My arthritis does not like them. They cut and work well, but long term use is a no no for me. I prefer a Western grip.
I cannot imagine trying to use one of the Gent's saws with their short little handles. No thanks.

steven c newman
03-11-2018, 3:02 PM
Dropping back here, yet again....working on that "IKEA" Drawer...
Brought that new board to the shop..
Lovely, ain't it? pulled the "hardware" out..
Once I got the size figured out, I crosscut the "better" part..
I somehow managed to avoid this lovely feature..
Ok, trimmed the plywood panel for a better fit. used that to figure the size of the back.
Set up the mitre box to do dados....about 3/8" deep. Marked the cut lines according the the back. made sure they were square. and ran the saw a bit..
Made a jig to help hold the sides while I use a few tools on the dados
dry fit?
I round the back corners on the drawers I make..helps when I slide them in.
Everything fits...time for glue and clamps...
First, some counter-sunk screw holes to attach the back....don't rely on just glue alone..
Hmm,ok...need one more "page"..BRB..

steven c newman
03-11-2018, 3:05 PM
Got the counter sinks done, then start some assembly..
Diagonal clamp to pull things square..
And...since the bench is now full of drawer and clamps....that will do for today's adventures....will let the glue cure until tomorrow..
Stay tuned...about ready to build the book case half of the project...

steven c newman
03-12-2018, 9:43 AM
Drawer was removed from the clamps last night...10 hours should be enough time. Drawer was slid into the case, to find out where the tight spots are.

Maybe I should post a little "How-to" on drawer building? Nah....would just get shouted down...

MRI this afternoon...may work on the drawer when I get back home. Monday? May take the day off....

Stay tuned

Mike Baker 2
03-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Nice work. I certainly appreciate your threads.
Good luck with the scan.

steven c newman
03-12-2018, 10:11 PM
Still waiting on how the scan turned out....30 minute trip in an oversized clothes dryer.

Got bored tonight...got out some toys..
And trimmed the dovetails as needed. The hole where the groove showed...shavings were stuffed into the hole with a spot of glue, then sanded smooth.

Stanley No. 20 square to mark a centerline to show where the back of the drawer is..
Then, since I don't trust nails...three screws were used..
Now, the drawer front had this huge knot. I drilled a hole about in the middle of it..
I also marked a matching spot at the other end of the front....why the bolt? Best way to make a knot vanish..
A lot of glue under the knob, crank things down tight. Add the second knob..
Will work on plug the holes tomorrow, if I feel up to it..time for a PIP?
This is what she wants...open shelves for baskets, and a drawer. I might get a can of Golden Oak, and then a few coats of Amber Shellac....and see how it turns out. Lumber for the plugs..
Will use one of the very few Veritas toys I have..
A 3/8" tapered plug cutter. maybe I can install all the plugs, and get them trimmed flush, by this time tomorrow night?

Stay tuned...

Phil Mueller
03-12-2018, 10:25 PM
Coming along nicely, Steven. Although I’m not apposed to knots and other character in wood, your hide the knot with a knob worked out well. Hope the results of your scan are positive.

steven c newman
03-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Dropping back, yet again...thread getting a tad long?

Two dozen plugs were cut last night..
One of the very few toys from Veritas I have in the shop. Have had it for a long time.
Used this scrap of pine....tried to stay out on the white section, the red area wouldn't match where the plugs will go.

Maybe after Lunch today, I can pop the plugs out, coat the smaller end with glue, and install them? let the glue sit a bit, then trim the plugs down flush. IF I watch how the grain on the plug and the hole are..the finished plug will just blend right in...we'll see
Stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
03-13-2018, 12:20 PM
I've used plugs to repair fretboards. If you get it right, it's a beautiful thing.

steven c newman
03-13-2018, 4:09 PM
This one may take a couple posts...
Plugs..
Hope I have enough of them....tools?
Screwdriver to pop the plugs out, chisel the trim the waste off when the glue has set, block plane to flush the plugs...hammer to set the plugs and drive the chisel..
Pop one out, grab the fat end between the thumb and finger, align the grain with the thumb, coat narrow end with glue
Hammer to drive each plug home. Took awhile,,,
Had to tip the case back a bit, so I could reach the lower holes....Let these set awhile..
Had just enough plugs, looks like. Cleared the bench..

Needed something to do, while waiting on the glue..
The "better" looking of these two 1 x 10s will be cut into two 36" long sides, for the bookcase. The ugly one under it...gets made into three shelves..
Part 2 coming up..stay tuned

steven c newman
03-13-2018, 4:25 PM
Roh-kay, Raggy.....The shelf blanks needed all sorts of things done to them, to make them match each other..jointed..
Ends "shot"
Left this ganged up...will cut sliding dovetails later this week. Glue has set up enough, by now..
Bevel down, one tap with the hammer....waste part of the pug flies right off...
Bevel up usually results in the chisel digging a trench. Block plane to smooth the area down..
Need to come back with a chisel, to clean out along the beads.
Looks a bit better. Drawer tended to slide too far into the case...added a screw into the back edge of each drawer side...now I can adjust how far the drawer slides in.
Will let this sit, while I build the upper unit..
Hmmm, maybe a coat of Golden Oak stain, and a couple of Amber Shellac? Maybe make things look to good to paint?;)
Stay tuned...the cussing will start next time in the shop..:rolleyes:

steven c newman
03-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Thinking ahead...need to mill a rebate along the back edges of the two sides of the bookcase....Stanley 45, or Wards 78...hmmm.

Third 1 x 10 x 6' plank can make a top for the case, and a few other parts. I have a few boards set back, to make a panel for the door. Two are that "freckled" Pine like the drawer front. Was unable to find a second such board....may just add plain Pine to fill it out. Need a few 1-1/2" wide pieces for a face frame, and a frame around the door panel. Going to be a bunch of cutting and fitting going on....need to buy one more 1/4" plywood panel, for the back of the case. have enough for the drawer that goes between the two cases, that hides the cleats the top case is fitted to.

May need to take a pad and pencil to the shop, next time...to keep track of what part goes where, and what size it needs to be...

As always..stay tuned

steven c newman
03-14-2018, 9:36 PM
Dropping back again....
ran a plane around today..
Wards 78 (Stanley) as I needed to mill a rebate for the plywood back..
Once I figured out which was the inside, and the back of these side boards..
Might have this set up just about right?
Got both side boards milled. Time to mill some grooves..
Dovetail bit in the router, set the guide fence, and mill a few sliding dovetail sockets...
Needed the big squares to transfer the lines for the guide to the second board, and mill those
Moved these two out of the way....have other items to do...
Two settings of the router's guide fence, once around the outside, reset to run the two inner grooves..
Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-14-2018, 9:40 PM
Got the other end of these three shelves milled..
Unclamped the mess, and started to slide the parts together..no glue....Middle shelf was a tad tight..hammer and a block of Maple to set it straight...set the assembly up on the case..
Going to be a tall one, again.

Can start to glue up the top, and build a face frame . Then maybe a drawer? We'll see how it goes...

Stay tuned

Mike Baker 2
03-14-2018, 9:47 PM
That ain't a plane, that's a Q-36 Space Modulator. :)
Golden Oak seems to be a go to for pine. Got some around, I think. Will have to give it a shot.
And yeah, I'd need a list for all them parts there, too.

Mike Baker 2
03-14-2018, 9:47 PM
BTW, nice work!

steven c newman
03-15-2018, 12:13 PM
I would have to refigure all the parts I have used for this....cut list is IN the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up...somewhere....

Have a board to cut down today.....
Have one more 1 x 10 x 6' there is a huge knot right at the 3' mark...I'll chop the knot out today, and try to build a top for the case. The remains will be used to make either the face frame parts, parts for the door panel, or parts to build a frame to hold the raised panel for the door's panels.

Lots of rip cuts coming up....don't feel like running the handsaws for that. Crosscuts? Should be with the handsaws, smaller cuts with the Langdon75...Maybe after Lunch, I can meander towards the shop...have to carry a board as I go...

Stay tuned..Bookcase build is started..

steven c newman
03-15-2018, 4:50 PM
Hauled that 1 x 10 to the shop....knot was a big one..
Found a decent stretch on the plank that did not have a knot, nor a split. Thought I would try a different handsaw..
But, Mr. Richardson needs a sharpening, apparently.....some other time...went back to the Disston..
Two cuts, have a clear stretch of pine...I needed to add a strip to one edge..cut a matching 1 x 4...then clamped the two together..
Jointed the edges to match each other...then a bead of glue, and a few clamps, and a caul..
Decided to cut a couple stiles out of the remains of Knotty-wood....tried a rip cut on the bandsaw, trying for a 3/4" x 1-5/8" x 3'....first cut wasn't too hateful.... second cut...:mad: did not go too well...it knocked the blade off the wheels:eek: thinking I had broke the blade:mad: I went Olde School to finish the rip cut..
Got my Cardio for today....clamped both stiles together, and jointed the edge to match each other, with a square edge..
Getting worn out. Too much Cardio today:rolleyes: Took the bandsaw apart, blade didn't break, re-installed it...cuts fine.
Maybe tomorrow, I can work a bit on the top, and the face frame. trying to get this done, before the 29th.....will see the Brain Doctor then. Then find out what they are going to do. Would like to get this done, before then.
Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-16-2018, 1:17 PM
Had a visitor today, spent a few hours....planes and chisels attended to. Very much enjoyed it.

Same for anyone whom wants to stop by, and visit the Dungeon Shop. Merely let me know when you will be showing up. Welcome to drop in and visit.

Not sure about any more work on the project today....we'll see.

steven c newman
03-16-2018, 9:55 PM
Afterwards, had to take the Boss to the store......decided to do a little shopping myself..

New 1/2", 6TPI blade for the bandsaw...the 1/4" just wasn't that great for rip cuts...

Broke down and bought a new beltsander. Called a "Dragster" by B&D....can be used in my sharpening routines. Even came with a belt installed...

Pair of almost clear 1 x 4 x 4' Pine boards.....and a 1/4" x 2' x 4' luann plywood panel. Can rip the boards (NOW...) tomake the rest of the narrow parts....and add a bit to the raised panel in the door....
Picked another 1/2Pint of Golden Oak stain as just one wasn't going to be enough.

Put away all the toys in the shop...I can see the top of the bench, again!....

Top of the bookcase was taken out of the clamps. Showed off how to flatten a panel with a few different planes....panel is flat, now. Need to find out how much to remove for the final width. And, square the ends. Maybe tomorrow afternoon? Need to drag out the Stanley 45 and set it up for some "bead work"....

Stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-17-2018, 7:34 PM
Dropping back here, yet again....thread iS getting a bit long winded, eh?
Two work sessions today...Morning involved changing out the skinny bandsaw blade, and installing the new, wider one. Set up a jig to guide a few rip cuts. Two stiles were cut, two rails were cut. Figured out how much the rip off of the top panel,reset the jig....tested that..
Then ran a couple planes around..
The Stanley 45 now has a #22 bead cutter in it. The Stanley #4 erased any saw marks, and cleaned a few edges..
Three cuts = two beads. Clamped the stile to the case, after moving things around so I could work..
As I wanted to layout the rails' cuts...needed to make the ends like these..
About this time, I had to take the Boss shopping..Grrrr
BRB, stay tuned for part 2

steven c newman
03-17-2018, 7:42 PM
Ok, Fancy tenons need a place to go..
381663Mark out, and rough cut....

Set up the mortise jig.
Chop a mortise...
Test fit..
this was for the bottom rail, it had a slightly different hole..
Finally got all four corners done, and a dry fit..
One tenon was a tad long..trimmed that for a better fit....spread some glue, added some clamps
Check the fit at the beads..
And let this thing set overnight...while I peel glue off my fingers...

Install this, add the back panel to square the case, add the shaped top...then I might start on the door.

Stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
03-17-2018, 8:00 PM
Long winded? Since this is basically a step by step, I think you're doing pretty good.

steven c newman
03-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Weather turned lousy tonight, The Boss decided to stay home for the evening. I got bored....tramped back to the shop
Hey, at least it will cut a straight line....just not enough hands right at the end of the cut. Needed to mark the larger panel for width..
I could rip that on the bandsaw. Somehow got the shelf unit up onto the benches...
Bead of glue and a line of screws... turn the case around, clamps to pull things square. More screws. Set this case down and out of the way.
Top panel was sanded, a 1/2 pint can served as a radius pattern, bandsaw to trim the front two corners..added a cove detail, to the underside..
Pilot holes and counter bores were added. then I had to make a few plugs, and install them, after the top was attached to the case.
Let these set til morning, then trim them flush. Set the unit back onto the base unit...had to move things around, not enough room under the ductwork
Going to be a TALL one. Face frame is about ready to be installed, then start on the door.

Stay tuned...

steven c newman
03-18-2018, 6:03 PM
Dropping WAY back.....as this may take a few posts. Snuck down to the shop today....almost 4 hours later, is was time for one of Conway's Irish Ales....

Face frame was taken out of the clamps....marked for a few of these..
Not much room. Vintage drill to make the counter bores, scratch awl to locate where to drill..
Pilot holes drilled. Set this aside...set the bookcase on to the top of the bench..
Glue and screws. Made another batch of plugs..
Only needed 11, still nice to have a couple extras.
Spot of glue, and a hammer to install the plugs
Once I got all the way around to these two, I went back around with a chisel
And cut the excess plug off. Block plane to smooth things out. Chisel again to clean the beads out.
Trying to blend the plugs in...
Part 2, coming right up..stay tuned

steven c newman
03-18-2018, 6:14 PM
Ok, Cleaned up the edges of the case until they were flush with the frame. Set the case onto the floor, and trimmed those 8 plugs on the top..
Supposed to be 4 plugs on each end. Set the case up onto the base unit..
There IS one bad spot in the face frame, though..
Looks like a nice spot to add a latch?

That 1 x 4 leaning there, was cut down for two stiles, for the paneled door..couldn't get to the Langdon 75...set up a little box, instead.
Cut the "best" out ( 31") then cut for final length. Then figured out the length for the two rails.
Then I could fold the GEM Mitre Box up, and stash it back into the drawer it calls home.
Cut the tenons over on the bandsaw..
Both these rails, and the stiles needed jointed on the edges. The 1 x 4 was ripped to width, jointed.
Making a mess of the bench, again...
Ok, one more part to go....Part 3 coming up, stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-18-2018, 6:32 PM
Ok, needed mortises to house the tenons in..
Open ended ones, this time around.
Backsaw to define where to cut, chisels to pop the waste out. Got the four corners done for a dry fit.
Set up the Stanley 45 to plough a groove to house the raised panel in

And stopped about here...back was getting stiff....went to lay out the boards for the raised panel, so I could maybe glue the panel up...hmmm
Two special boards were long enough...barely...the others I had set back to add to the showy boards? Way too short. So, a trip to the Green Borg tomorrow..
for one more board, grrrrr
I think I'll stop for the day, and do a bit of supper...stay tuned..

steven c newman
03-19-2018, 8:20 PM
Since today is Monday, shop is normally closed. Instead of the 50 mile round trip to get ONE board at Menard's, made a 5 mile round trip to the Blue BORG in this town.

Needed a 1 x 8..maybe 3' long...shortest they had was a 6' board.....none exactly worth writing home about. Looked a little bit, found some VERY good 1 x 4 x 4' just a little ways down the aisle..picked two, held them up to that 1 x 8....hmmm, the two were wider than the one. Not as much waste ( needed 30") as the 6 footer, and there was more width. Only a dollar more, too....;)

Stashed the two in the van, had to drive the Boss over to Wall E World, and let her shop a while.....while I took a nap:rolleyes:
Plan now is to do a glue up in the morning, then plough a few grooves...by suppertime, I should be able to flatten a panel and start raising it. At least THAT is the plan..

Stay tuned..

Maybe this thread is a little bit better, than some dang old sharpening thread?

steven c newman
03-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Mondays...gotta love them....the 1 x 4s turned out to be clear 1 x 6 x 4'....

Took them to the shop...and found out why they seemed a bit too wide...duh:rolleyes:
Marked them for length. Marked the two fancy boards for width...and to get rid of a couple nasty knots....bandsaw had a bad case of the waves tonight...
Made a jig, and made the grooves for the panel to sit in...at least THAT came out right...;)

In the morning, I can spend all the time needed to get a panel glued up....I hope:rolleyes:

steven c newman
03-20-2018, 2:18 PM
Dropping back, again....Back is sore, now...
The "easy part" was cutting the two 1 x 6 boards down, to match the other two...D-112 still working great.
Those two on top, needed a bit of work done..
Used a jack plane to get rid of the worst, then a couple jointer planes...
I used the #7c to clean up the edges on the new boards..had a slight curve to them. The #8 was more for the heavy work...which is why the back is stiff and sore, now.
Was finally able to get all the edges jointed to match each other, well enough to spread some glue, and add a few clamps....
And a couple cauls. Letting this panel sit for the day, while I get the back to settle down...maybe make it into a raised panel tomorrow?
Stay tuned....

Mike Baker 2
03-20-2018, 2:41 PM
Dang that wood is beautiful.
Would love to see raised panels.

steven c newman
03-20-2018, 7:16 PM
Will have to wait until tomorrow..back is acting up tonight. Need to flatten the panel before the raising can begin. Need to mark for final width, and trim for that, too.

Would have liked to do the entire cabinet in that fancy lumber....only found that one board.

Mike Baker 2
03-20-2018, 8:06 PM
It's very beautiful wood, so I can sympathize. As for your back, give it a rest. Always pay attention to your body. Some of the worst injuries I ever had was when my body said "That's enough", but my brain said, "Just a little bit more".

steven c newman
03-21-2018, 2:55 PM
Dropping back here, again.....and it is ugly outside....382005 so I snuck down to the shop for a little bit, got the panel out of the clamps
Worked on getting both faces cleaned up....Measured for final width..had to trim an edge back a bit
Got the ends about as square as I could. Laid out for the end grain bevels..
Marked a stop line about 1-1/2" in from the edge. Doing the end grain first...
Left a 1/2" thick edge. Got both ends done, and set up for the sides.
Instead of these smaller planes to make the bevel..
The red logo Stanley is set coarse, Plain Jane is set fine. Run at a diagonal to the grain, one roughs out the bevel, the other refines it....
Long edge grain, I used a jack plane....
Trying to get a mitered corner...
Stay tuned, more to come..

steven c newman
03-21-2018, 3:05 PM
Corner details...supposed to be about like this..
Got fairly close...
Once the bevels were done, time to flip the panel over, and use the Wards 78
Was almost done with the end grain ends...happen to notice the spur wasn't used..ooops. Saw cut on the end.Test fits as I went along..
Wound up shorting the rails by a hair....more coverage on the side rebates...more dry fits..
Got all four edges rebated and fitted....final dry fit
Before the glue, clamps and cauls come out..
Will let this mess sit overnight..
maybe install the door, tomorrow? Not much left to do on the project....needs a skinny drawer build under the bookcase...Hinges, knobs...final sanding...then the stain & shellac finish.....Golden Oak stain, couple coats of Amber shellac...
Stay tuned...almost done...

Mike Baker 2
03-21-2018, 4:07 PM
Nice looking panels. I need to find me one of them there combo planes. :)

steven c newman
03-22-2018, 10:43 AM
Teaser alert...teaser alert!
Door is installed...
Stay tuned for further updates....

Mike Baker 2
03-22-2018, 11:08 AM
:D:D:D:p !

steven c newman
03-22-2018, 8:12 PM
Spent less than an hour IN the shop today....all four sides of the skinny drawer are cut to rough size. Blank for the drawer front has been fitted to it's new home.
Then had to go on an all day road trip....picked a couple chisels...not much wood working got done, today...

Mike Baker 2
03-22-2018, 8:43 PM
Love pickin'!

Pat Barry
03-23-2018, 9:30 AM
Teaser alert...teaser alert!
Door is installed...
Stay tuned for further updates....

Very nice!

steven c newman
03-23-2018, 4:40 PM
Well, was a busy morning, today. Built a skinny drawer..
And fitted into the spot it will call home..
Added a pair of cleats..
Two countersunk screws into the top, and two screws to attach the bookcase with. project is designed to be taken apart for transport ( like up my stairs) the cleats will hold the bookcase upper unit in place, when things are sitting still. The cleats also act as drawer guides.
Got four pads for the feet installed...
And added a coat of Golden Oak stain..
Even the inside of the door was given a coat..
Had to "arrange " the grain on the drawer front, and matched the knob to it..
A freckled drawer. I also stained the two shelves. Those get a pair of folding baskets each.
waiting on the stain to dry, before the top coats of Amber Shellac go on...shop is not the best place to take Project pictures...might try after it gets upstairs?

Almost done, stay tuned..

Mike Baker 2
03-23-2018, 4:46 PM
Lovely..
:)

steven c newman
03-25-2018, 9:59 AM
Things came to a standstill, yesterday....Friday night wound up in the ER, A-Fib attack...BAD ONE. Then most of Saturday in the ICU...released back home last night

LONG nap...still not feeling very good...have to call my Cardio Doctor Monday, and see what he says...

Might be another day or two..before the Shellac goes on...stay tuned.

Mike Baker 2
03-25-2018, 1:23 PM
Whoa. Yep, slow down and wait and see what the doc says. Wood ain't going anywhere.
My prayers are with you and yours.

Tony Wilkins
03-25-2018, 4:42 PM
Yeah, do what you need to get better. Thoughts and prayers with you bud.

steven c newman
03-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Heart issues, head issues, and now a Thyroid issue....Might be a while before the next build-along happens.

So, until a finish suddenly happens on the Pine Stepback Cupboard Project....this thread is done. If it does get a finish on it, I WILL post it in the Projects forum.

Again, I want to thank all who followed along with this little project...Thank you.

steven c newman
03-27-2018, 1:54 PM
Posted as Project..
382469Need to go and buy two more baskets
Main drawer also gets a couple baskets..
Light enough, the door doesn't tip things over.

Thanks for looking!

Mike Baker 2
03-27-2018, 2:04 PM
I really enjoy your builds. Thanks for posting them. Get well, Steven. You are in my prayers.

michael langman
03-28-2018, 10:48 AM
I enjoyed your build Steven. I hope you are taking it easy some, to get back in shape for more projects.

steven c newman
03-28-2018, 11:12 PM
My Daughter stopped by to see her new cupboard. LOVES it! Loves the colour of the finish, like the baskets we picked out. Pretty safe to say that she will NOT be painting this one....says the colours go perfectly with the furniture in the room. I think it might just be a "Hit"?

James Pallas
03-28-2018, 11:17 PM
Home run Steven. Good for you.
Jim

Don Orr
03-30-2018, 1:08 PM
Nice job as always and thanks for the ride .