PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy and the Kitchen Cart Glue Up

ken hatch
02-09-2018, 8:50 PM
If your shop doesn't have a "lumpy" get one.

MsBubba helped with the kitchen cart glue up, with out MsBubba and lumpy I would have been in deep do-do. I had a couple of joints that froze tight and I couldn't get enough clamp pressure on them to pull 'em tight. Lumpy to the rescue, a couple of whacks did the job. This was the first glue up MsBubba has helped with. The look on her face when I first whacked the cart with lumpy was priceless. You could see she thought I'd lost my mind and it was time to call the funny farm.

Anyway here the cart is in clamps. I picked up 17.5 board feet of Hard Maple to make the top tomorrow. a quick drawer, install the wheels and that sucker is done....The fat Lady is warming up back stage.

Click it to big it,

ken

David Eisenhauer
02-09-2018, 9:00 PM
Go Ken. Drive through the finish line.

Stew Denton
02-09-2018, 9:04 PM
Ken,

I take it "Lumpy" is setting on the shelf of the cart in the photo.

Stew

ken hatch
02-09-2018, 10:12 PM
Go Ken. Drive through the finish line.

Thanks David, I have the next couple of days off. I should be able to seal the deal.

ken

ken hatch
02-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Ken,

I take it "Lumpy" is setting on the shelf of the cart in the photo.

Stew

Stew,

Yep place of honor, I'd been in big trouble with out her.

ken

Matt Lau
02-09-2018, 10:50 PM
I'm assuming your wife ain't the fat lady

Joe Bailey
02-10-2018, 1:48 AM
I'll bet your wife doesn't appreciate being called "Lumpy"

ken hatch
02-10-2018, 6:13 AM
Out of the clamps:

The cart came out of the clamps in good shape. One joint, the right lower shelf stretcher, is not as tight as I would like. It should be an easy fix but whatever, it isn't bad just not as tight as the others. I've the drawer stock rough sized and a hunk of Hard Maple in the bed of the truck ready to be turned into a butcher block top. This sucker is in the short rows.

ken

Rob Luter
02-10-2018, 6:35 AM
In the circles I travel in "lumpy" is known by the acronyms GBH and BFH depending on size. I agree they are often indispensable.

ken hatch
02-11-2018, 8:48 AM
In the circles I travel in "lumpy" is known by the acronyms GBH and BFH depending on size. I agree they are often indispensable.

Rob,

We must travel in the same circles :). I usually write like I speak, sometimes SMC posts require a lot of editing.

The top is out of glue up and needs some minor clean up before sizing. I'm doing the drawer box along with my morning coffee. I cut the tails last night after two or three Whiskys. I didn't know what to expect this morning but they looked pretty good. Maybe that should be my normal routine, whisky, saw, whisky, saw. If the literature is to be believed that was the way folks used to work and in all things I try to figure out how they did it back when they knew how. Anyway that's my story and I'm.....

If I can stay out of MsBubba's line of sight for most of the day I could finish before whisky time. Most likely it will take a couple more days for the fat lady to do her thing.

ken