PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection - on the cheap

Paul Montgomery
02-08-2018, 11:42 PM
I just expanded my dust collection in my humble shed/shop and thought it would be a good time to make a video explaining it. Along the way there are some other related tricks and jigs.

Cheers,

Paul M

https://youtu.be/xpYGzJU6R8Y

Jim Becker
02-09-2018, 9:39 AM
Paul, there is a large number of community members who cannot effectively watch videos because of low Internet speed/bandwidth. Perhaps you can post some still photos of your setup with explanation? Thanks in advance!

Jim
Forum Moderator

Morey St. Denis
02-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Fine for the drill press you're showing; uncertain what bench-top tools those other hose port fittings may lead to. I see now that those appear to be a sander, band saw & compound miter "chop" saw... Suggest you really ought to place a compact, bucket-top type of cyclone separator prior to the vacuum inlet and that puny pleated paper filter cartridge found within most plastic shop-vacs. There are small "Dust Deputies" available, or at well less than half the cost of Oneida, a very nicely molded single unit Nalgene 75mm ported cyclone imported from China produced by N$; Nantong Suning Environmental Protection Technologies. Likely could quickly pay for itself in extending the life of those cartridge filter replacements.

Peter Christensen
02-09-2018, 11:42 AM
The sliding blast gate idea is good even just for a single machine.

I had to stop watching a little over half way through because your drill press work holding methods are not the safest.

Rick Potter
02-09-2018, 5:02 PM
Some good ideas there,Paul