PDA

View Full Version : Veterans' Day

Joe Pelonio
11-10-2005, 6:52 PM
I'm not myself a vet (Vietnam era 2S then high lottery number) but my father, father in law, and stepfather were, plus we have good friends in the Navy. So, tomorrow my shop will be closed for Veterans' Day. Around
here it seems that only the banks and schools are closed. I tell people I'm closed tomorrow and they look at me like I'm nuts and ask me why. Seems like with all troops we have fighting for us these days we'd remember the vets. To those of you who are vets thanks for your service to our country.

Keith Outten
11-10-2005, 7:06 PM
Joe,

In my neck of the woods everyone is working tomorrow and schools are in session. It is like Veterans Day never existed...what a shame. My employer is also working but I am taking the day off to be at WoodCraft for the Freedom Pens Turn-A-Thon.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-10-2005, 7:48 PM
I'm with you Joe. BTW, if you have the time and a Woodcraft locally, drop by and turn a pen for the FPP.

Bruce

Ron Jones near Indy
11-10-2005, 8:08 PM
I would hope that schools provide a way to observe Veterans Day--a speaker, band and/or choir performance, something is necessary to explain the meaning of the holiday. If schools are not in session with some type of observance, many kids will think it's just another day when the stores and shops have sales.

Andy Hoyt
11-10-2005, 8:33 PM
Tomorrow is my father's 80th birthday. He and I are both USN vets, so it's a Hoyt Holiday for sure. We once jointly visited the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington and there was practically no crowd that day. I was in uniform which may explain why the honor guard gave us a short tour of some behind the scenes stuff which buckled your knees like nothing else I've ever experienced. This is the only time I've ever seen my father - tough old bird that he is - openly cry. Why he was doing so is scattered all across the western Pacific. Why I began to cry is because until that moment, I just didn't understand.

It is essential that everyone regardless of whether they served or not take pause to reflect upon, respect, honor, and be grateful for the sacrifice that so many men and women of all nationalities have made.

Tom Peterson
11-10-2005, 9:15 PM
I pass my thanks along to every man or woman that has served and made sacrifices so we can do the things we do and unfortuantely take them for granted. I have traveled a number of places in this world and we have it very good because of these people in our services. In our big city, the fund raiser for the veterans parade received minimal coverage while the peace vigil was covered ad nauseum. Screwed up priorities

John Miliunas
11-10-2005, 9:33 PM
I never served in any of the forces so, I'm not even sure if a salute to all our past and present day soldiers is valid but, there you have it. I salute each and every one of you, here or overseas or already at rest and thank you on behalf of myself and my family. We owe you a LOT!

Keith Christopher
11-10-2005, 9:41 PM
You're welcome. :D And thank you!! as a veteran it wasn't until (gulf war ) recently that I see people appreciating the sacrificing that a soldier goes through. And more so the wifes and children of soldiers. To be absent from your family and home and not really sure if and when you will see home again. And I'm sure all the sentiments that go out are appreciated truly.

Dan Oliphant
11-10-2005, 9:44 PM
I think Andy got it right, all vets need and deserve our respect, they but it all out there no matter what era it was or is.
Pause and reflect

Mike Cutler
11-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Mike Cutler. MT2-22, USN, 1978-1984, Served on board the the USS John Marshall, SSBN 611B, and the USS Andrew Jackson SSBN 619G.

It doesn't matter a fig to me if you served or not. What's important, at least to me, is that we remember not only those that have sacrificed, but those that currently are.
Those are our sisters and brothers, mothers and fathers, and sons and daughters, over in the Mid East, more importantly though, they are "us".

To all of them I say only "peace be with you, and be home soon"

Keith Outten
11-11-2005, 6:13 AM
Thanks to Waymon Campbell we have a thread that lists many of our Veterans here at SawMill Creek. The list is a good place to review once each year, if you want to say "Thanks" it can't hurt to start right here at SMC. The list is very impressive folks.

We salute our fellow SMC Members who have served and sacrificed;

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8397&highlight=donate

John Hart
11-11-2005, 6:51 AM
One night, 20 some years ago, I was standing a Watch and looking out at the Bering Sea. There was a Soviet Troller sitting out there about 2 miles. They look like fishing boats...but we were listening to everything they were doing....it wasn't fishing. At the time, I thought how close we were and how tense things were all the time. After a while, I started wondering if anyone back in the states was even thinking about what we were doing. A selfish thought maybe...and it was only for a few minutes. But, thinking about that today, I can tell you this....Even if you just give some thought to what our service people are doing, stationed here at home and in the firing line far away, be assured that the thought is most appreciated.

To All Freedom-loving people everywhere - Have a great Veterans Day

Frankie Hunt
11-11-2005, 9:09 AM
All gave some, some gave all. Thank you to all that served. Here are some pictures of our Veterans Day parade. They are self explanitory.

Our high school is in session today, however the day is centered around a play about Veterans Day. They have early dismissal too, right after the play.

The 278th came home last week, not all of them though. The named ones in the photo didn't make it.

Thanks again to all that served.
Frankie

Don Baer
11-11-2005, 1:12 PM
My son is currently in as a matter of fact he just re-enlisted.
He's a Navy Corpmen was with the 2nd MEF and recently back from Iraq now he at the Navel Hospital at Camp Lejune,

Me I was on submarines. My Dad was in the Army Air Corps. during WW II. So I guess we have 3 generation of Vets and proud to have been a sevice to our country. Thanks you all for remembering.