PDA

View Full Version : Router table

Brian Byers
02-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Currently I'm just using a porter cable 690 mounted to a board. I had bought a Kreg set up but illness forced the sale before I got to use it. I'm currently looking at Infinity and carbide processors (I think that was the name) I like the package deal infinity had with Jessem fence and Triton router $879.
There is a part of me that would like to go with a Incra system. I would like to make dovetails and box joints if I could figure out how to ure the incra. YouTube videos make it look easy. My brain still has a hard time focusing after the chemotherapy (Leukemia)
I will be wanting to make cabinet doors sometimes. I do have access to shapers in a friends cabinet shop so most stile and rails will be done their.
I'd love your advice, which table. I've been thinking about getting a Triton with the table unless you feel I should get a different router with a lift.
Forgive me for hitting you all up for advice so much. I lost my shop tools due to cancer. I'm really excited to rebuild my shop. I'm thinking I'll have about $7,000 to put into my shop and I don't want to make any mistakes. Thanks for your time. Brian

Bryan Lisowski
02-07-2018, 11:48 PM
Welcome. Congrats on beating cancer. If I was looking to start a shop and only had $7000 to play with, I don't think I would spend almost 1/7 of my budget on a router table. I would make it an early project. Now if you already have table saw, jointer, planer and bandsaw, then go for what you want. My router table is the wing of my table saw and the router is a Bosch 1617. I may need to do multiple attempts to get it dialed in for a specific task, but you just make do. Before I went to the table I have now, I had a Rockler RT.

As a suggestion, put your location on your profile, somebody may have the setup you want and may let you test drive or they could be selling what you want.

Brian Byers
02-08-2018, 4:02 AM
Thanks Bryan, I'll try and work on my profile tomorrow. I'm on Red Bluff ca. Northern ca. I have a grizzly 1023 table saw, DeWalt 735 planer, small delta bandsaw( to small for needs) drill press, 12" sliding miter. What I really need is jointer, bandsaw, router table,
. dust collection. Ive never used dust collection. Having surived cancer i am thinking I'll make it a priority. Cutting plywood and MDF and breathing that dust would probably cause cancer.

Nick Decker
02-08-2018, 5:49 AM
I haven't used the Incra router tables or their fence system, although I suspect they're very good. But I can tell you that they are not necessary for box joints. The Incra I-Box jig ($140ish) will do them very nicely and it works with any decent router table or table saw with a dado blade.

(Box joints only, no dovetails.)

Brian Byers
02-08-2018, 2:49 PM
Thanks Nick, I may go that route. My neighbor gave his fathers unisaw i may put my dado head in it for this purpose. When my neighbors dad died my neighbor grabbed the biesmeyer fence but didnt grab the rails. My neighbor didn't have the money for the rails so he gave the 1955 delta to me☺