PDA

View Full Version : Multi Tool Sanding Attachments

Dave Erickson
02-07-2018, 2:25 PM
I've only had a multi-tool 6 months but it is fast becoming the go-to tool for cutting wallboard, trimming (both wood and aluminum) and sanding in corners, just about any job where clearance or versatility are factors. However, I am still looking for a good sanding attachment. I have a Makita multi-tool, so I bought the Makita hook & loop sanding attachment and a selection of Makita sanding triangles. I found that after a days use, the corners of the hook and loop pad had lost their grip - they looked flat like either the pad overheated or the surface abraded away. The sanding triangles may have been the source of the problem, the fabric backing separated from the abrasive sheet rather quickly. So maybe I got old-stock sanding triangles, with failed adhesive, or the maybe the Makita sanding attachments just are not the quality I expected, or maybe I should have adjusted the speed way down on the multi-tool. I also was thinking I might get better results with some of the multi-tool attachments that have sintered abrasives - do they make any that are fine and work well for sanding wood cabinet corners - the ones I have seen are pretty coarse and are designed for grinding grout or stone, not wood?

Dave

Lee Schierer
02-07-2018, 7:14 PM
Have you tried slowing done the oscillation speed?

Jerry Miner
02-08-2018, 8:53 PM
You might be putting too much pressure on the sanding pad. I use hook-and-loop pads and they eventually wear out, but not that quickly!

Robert Cherry
02-09-2018, 12:06 AM
To Lee and Jerry’s points, I melted the corners on my Bosch multitool triangle using too much speed and pressure. After the replacement arrived I slowed down the speed and use a lighter touch. They last much longer but still eventually need to be replaced.

Dave Erickson
02-09-2018, 1:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions re: speed and pressure. I ordered some new Fein pads and sandpaper and I will try them at a lower speed.

Dave