PDA

View Full Version : Leather Luggage Tags

Patrick Cooley
11-10-2005, 5:32 PM
Hi all,
I have a request to laser some luggage tags for a basball team. In the past we've used the tinted acrylic, but they break too easy.

I haven't tried lasering leather. Any suggestions, hints, Suppliers for the tags? etc..
Thanks in advance for the help.
Pat.

Bruce Volden
11-10-2005, 6:13 PM
Patrick

I don't know where you are located or if you have ever heard of Tandy Leather but thats a place to start. For sure you'll want a heavy weight leather to stand up to the abuse they'll likely see. The laser cuts leather quite effectively. The laser engraves the leather well also. Leather STINKS big time while being lasered!!!! If you mask it (non-oily) it also colorfills fair. Down side-stink, sometimes won't lay flat (especially heavier weight) so stay away from highly intricate designs, can be spendy. That's all I have to say about that:) ~~ Bruce

Bob Tate
11-10-2005, 6:31 PM
I have done quite a bit of leather. I have a 35 watt machine and Engrave at 100% Speed and 30% Power for a pretty good depth. Vector cutting is 35% Speed, 50% Power, and 500 ppi in 3/16 inch leather. I was doing business cards by the sheet. My exhaust system must be pretty good as I have never noticed anything but a brief, weak odor. Nothing objectionable.
Leather is really easy and fast to do. I have been evgraving wallets also, pretty neat stuff. Sorry, no pictures. Seems like it is always rush orders.

Joe Pelonio
11-10-2005, 6:46 PM
Hey, I like the smell, it's like branding day at the old corral. Seriously,
we have a Tandy leather in Seattle too. I think they also have the snaps, or you might get those at a good fabric/craft store.

Patrick Cooley
11-11-2005, 1:39 PM
Thanks Everyone!
I got hooked up with Tandy's supplier here in Iowa and they are sending me samples. I look forward to the smell of Burning Cow Skin!
Thanks again.
Pat.