PDA

View Full Version : New shop cabinets (under bench)

Matt Putnam
02-07-2018, 10:36 AM
I’ve had these shop cabinets in mind for years. They’re installed under an old workbench that I’ve had for quite a while. There were definitely some challenges getting them installed - due to me not considering the bench foot design sufficiently (I measured at top and ignored the bottom where the feet curve inward).

Prefinished plywood boxes
Blum Metabox drawer runners
Maple and Machiche drawer fronts, doors, and handles

I built the doors - including resawing the Machiche panels.
Same on the pulls. They have a very shallow dovetail cut on the front for labels.

Mike Wilkins
02-07-2018, 4:17 PM
Now that's a great way to jazz up a shop. The significant other or potential customers can't help but be impressed, and expect the same kind of quality out of what you build for them.

Matt Putnam
02-07-2018, 4:20 PM
Thanks, Mike.
I was discussing the cabinets with a friend from woodworking school many years back and he answered a question of mine "you really can't make shop cabinets too nice." I took that to heart and thoroughly enjoyed the build.

Jim Becker
02-07-2018, 5:19 PM
Wow, very nice! Attractive and clearly functional!

You've also reminded me that I need to do something similar, albeit narrower for my shop for additional hardware storage under my miter station. So thanks for creating more work for me. LOL

Rod Sheridan
02-08-2018, 1:55 PM
Nice cabinets Matt.

They're the opposite colour scheme of mine, BB ply with walnut banding...................Regards, Rod.

Al Launier
02-08-2018, 2:07 PM
Well done, but too beautiful for a shop!

Von Bickley
02-09-2018, 9:29 AM
That looks more like fine furniture..... Looks Great.

Mike Manning
02-09-2018, 9:54 PM
Those are real purdy! Nice work Matt!