PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Uneven Objects

jeremy powel
02-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Looking to buy a laser to engrave firearms mainly. I am looking to mark the grips all the way around. Also with the metal there is a lot of height differences on the surfaces I will be working on. I am looking at a dynamic focusing machine or 3D machine. Nothing I will be working on will be perfectly round. Does any one have any experience with these types machines? I am a firearms manufacturer.

Chris DeGerolamo
02-06-2018, 8:08 AM
Having done many firearm engravings I'll note our Epilog gantry CO2 does just fine. Over time I have learned to cheat the focal plane by varying the Z axis with multiple passes, for example on wood stocks and 1911 grips. My advice would be to determine laser type (CO2, fiber etc) and go from there...see what others say on here. What machines are you looking at specifically and what do you content intend to engrave?

jeremy powel
02-07-2018, 4:39 PM
I am looking at a fiber laser for sure the Ray Fine EX-WORKS machine. I am looking to be able to stipple Glock lowers and do AR parts and recivers. I will being doing some NFA engraving with it also. Also looking to do the inside of wedding bands.

John Lifer
02-08-2018, 1:49 PM
Get the correct rotary for jewelry.....

Kev Williams
02-08-2018, 10:31 PM
one of my old gun customers brought this frame to me about a year ago, his customer wanted a diamond hatch pattern on the front of the grip. I told him it would probably look like crap because with the radius, the laser wouldn't stay in focus, and I'd have to figure out how to rotate it accurately and align the additional engraving to the previous engraving- TWICE- and that just once would be tricky enough. "Just do what you can"...

so I did--

But it turned out pretty good!

--but not because of my section-joining skills-- it was because I didn't have to join any sections :D --the laser did this all in one shot-

I was surprised it did it... The power did fall off quickly the farther down the radius it got, but the engraving did reach my stop points. I figured the depth would fade to nothing by then.

I don't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure I raised the table a few times during the run to help with the focus down the sides...

jeremy powel
02-10-2018, 11:56 PM
What kind of laser did you use Ken?

Kev Williams
02-11-2018, 2:26 PM
What kind of laser did you use Ken?
Mines just like this one, 30 watt, 160mm (6" working area) lens...