PDA

View Full Version : present for young friend

John K Jordan
02-05-2018, 7:15 PM
For a young friend's birthday - what could I make that a an 11-year-old girl could use? I'd already given her a little cocobolo lidded box some years ago so I decided on a pencil holder/cup. I'll give it to her tomorrow.

Walnut from a tree down the hill, drying about 10 years now, "danish" oil finish. I made it a little heavy in the base on purpose for stability. Not a very fancy turning, but hey, seems functional.

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=378381&d=1517875715

After I turned it I decided it was a little bit too tall so I cut a little off the top. The piece I turned off was accidentally the perfect size for a bracelet.

JKJ

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2018, 7:23 PM
John, it's a very nice, practical gift! I like the wood. Nicely done, Sir!

Thomas Canfield
02-05-2018, 8:47 PM
Nice save along with a nice piece. Bet she likes the bracelet more, but she may outgrow it and the cup holder should be around for a very long time.

daryl moses
02-06-2018, 7:43 AM
I like it John. Simply eloquent.

George Conklin
02-06-2018, 9:53 AM
What is your process for getting a nice finish on the inside (side-grain)?

Almost forgot. It is a nice piece with beautiful form.

John K Jordan
02-06-2018, 2:40 PM
What is your process for getting a nice finish on the inside (side-grain)?

Almost forgot. It is a nice piece with beautiful form.

George, I do the inside the inside almost the same as the outside, but use a box scraper to smooth, mostly hand sanding, wet sanding with oil just like the outside to help fill the pores on walnut. Then multiple coats of oil, drying overnight between coats. I think I had time for 4-5 coats before I gave it to her today.

JKJ