PDA

View Full Version : Getting Data off a Smart Phome with broken screen....

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2018, 3:35 PM
Have any of you had any experience with getting your data/pics off of an Android smart phone with a broken screen? My Son-in-law has a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active that he needs his pics off of. I can help him but I'm not sure about trusted tools to help with getting his stuff off his broken screen phone. Anybody with any advice on this?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2018, 3:42 PM
Dennis,

I get photos and other information off our Androids by just connecting it to my computer. Photos are generally stored in the DCIM folder on the cellphone. You can usually recognize photos as they will have a ".jpg" extension. I just connect the cell phone to the computer using the proper cable. Then using Windows "Files Explorer" on the computer, I find the cellphone connected to the computer and step through it's folders looking for the photos.

Doug Garson
02-05-2018, 4:03 PM
Are the photos stored in the phone's internal memory or on the memory card? If they are on the card, any card reader can be used to access the data or you can just put the card in the replacement phone. I'd just pull out the card and see if the data you want is there.

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2018, 4:13 PM
Dennis,

I get photos and other information off our Androids by just connecting it to my computer. Photos are generally stored in the DCIM folder on the cellphone. You can usually recognize photos as they will have a ".jpg" extension. I just connect the cell phone to the computer using the proper cable. Then using Windows "Files Explorer" on the computer, I find the cellphone connected to the computer and step through it's folders looking for the photos.

This is exactly what I do with my wife's Samsung Galaxy Express. I also find using the desktop a much easier/faster way to move images from the DCIM folder to the phone's memory card.

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2018, 5:14 PM
It only shows up as a media player and say it contains nothing.

Brian Henderson
02-05-2018, 7:06 PM
Virtually all photos are saved on the memory card, just pull the card and use a card reader on your computer. If it says there are no photos, then whatever cracked the screen caused more damage than that.

Pat Barry
02-05-2018, 7:19 PM
Do what Ken said, assuming you can at least enter the password (assuming you have one) to unlock the phone.

Lee Schierer
02-05-2018, 7:46 PM
My Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini had an encounter with the tail gate of a pickup truck while pheasant hunting. The phone continued to work, but I could not access it because the screen was broken and I couldn't unlock it. Al my photos were backed up to Verizon, so when I acquired my new phone they automatically downloaded. You have to look pretty deep into the various directories to find when the photos are stored if they are not being stored on a memory card. You should be able to view files via USB connection to your computer. There are places that can replace screens. Contacts and other data are another matter.

Mike Henderson
02-05-2018, 7:50 PM
I know Staples can replace a screen on a smartphone. And I don't think it's too expensive.

They did a battery replacement for me on my iPhone 6 and it was $40, while Apple would have been $80.

On an iPhone you can see the pictures when the phone is connected to a computer but you have to log in to the phone to be able to see them. I guess that's to prevent someone from accessing them if they found your phone.

Mike

Brian Henderson
02-05-2018, 8:19 PM
I know Staples can replace a screen on a smartphone. And I don't think it's too expensive.

It's very expensive. Most of the S6 replacement screens I'm seeing run between $175-200. You can get the part yourself and replace it, it isn't rocket science, but to have someone else do it, it's going to cost a ton.

My oldest daughter broke her screen and we just got her a new phone, LG has a really nice transfer system that will move all of your data from one phone to another, assuming both are LGs. No idea if Samsung has a similar service that will transfer phone-to-phone.

Doug Garson
02-06-2018, 3:20 PM
No idea if Samsung has a similar service that will transfer phone-to-phone.
Yes, it's called Smart Switch".