PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is that??

Bill Carey
02-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Let's see if this thread can get some traction. I'm always amazed, when I see some old tools, that anybody actually thought that up, and made it. Some things I have no idea what they are for, or how they might be used. I've seen many old specialty tools that get my standard best guess: paper weight. You all probably have some interesting things in your collections that would be interesting to share. And I'll start with this:
Found this in the new house we bought. The house was built in 1892 and we are the second owners. I had to search the patent number to figure out what it was.

(btw - I posted here because I'm guessing most of the interesting tools will be hand tools.)

Joe Bailey
02-05-2018, 12:57 PM
is that an igniter for a stove?

Jim Koepke
02-05-2018, 1:35 PM
The little wheel makes it look like a glass cutter. the movable piece looks like it would crudely sharpen knives. Though it could be for knocking down sharp edges on glass.

jtk

Marshall Harrison
02-05-2018, 2:25 PM
Some type of pliers?

Bill Carey
02-05-2018, 2:31 PM
knife sharpener and glass cutter. http://www.google.com/patents/US1749442 whats curious is that the patent does not show the wheel, which I agree looks like a glass cutter. Patented in 1930 by a guy in Chicago. Click on the View PDF button on that web page - his application and explanation for what the tool does is a hoot.