PDA

View Full Version : Shop Pics #1

Keith Burns
11-10-2005, 2:57 PM
Hadn't seen anybody post their shops lately so I thought I'd give it a try. The size is 20' wide x 24' deep. It seemed big when I built it but as you can see, it is full. I built all of the cabinets and machine stands. I have built large furinture, ie; entertainment center, beds, etc. but the space dictates only one project at a time. I wont bore you with a machinery list as you can idientify most of them from the photos. Thanks for looking.

Ed Lang
11-10-2005, 3:00 PM
Nice shop!

I always enjoy looking at other shops.

Dan Oliphant
11-10-2005, 3:00 PM
Keith,
Looks great, has the appearance of being very comfortable to work in.

Steve Stube
11-10-2005, 3:04 PM
Keith, you have a fantastic shop full of goodies to handle whatever comes along. Arrangement is key to your operation. Looks good inside and outside, thanks for sharing your "dream come true" with us.

Tyler Howell
11-10-2005, 3:09 PM
Way nice Keith. :cool:
Does the 4" ducting handle the DC to your satisfaction???
I have a lot of 4" stuff left over from a previous (DC) life and wondering if I should even bother.
Thanks for the look see!

Vaughn McMillan
11-10-2005, 3:10 PM
Very nice setup, Keith. You've got a great assortment of toyls to choose from, and the whole place looks very well organized. It does look suspiciously clean, but I'm willing to be that was just for the photos. ;)

- Vaughn

Ron Fritz
11-10-2005, 3:23 PM
Keith; great looking shop. You mentioned that your shop was 20 x 24 and were hinting to the fact that the shop could be bigger. I am in the early stages of planning a new workshop myself. I know this is a loaded question, but if you were to make your shop bigger, how much bigger would you make it.

John Bailey
11-10-2005, 3:23 PM
Nice shop Keith,

Mine is about the same size and I love the feeling that everything is close by. I'd be interested to know how the ducting for the DC is working. Any problems with the ducting up on the ceiling?

John

lou sansone
11-10-2005, 3:32 PM
wow .... real nice shop... looks well thought out and comfortable. I am interested in your slider for the table saw.. did you build it or is it something that you purchased
thanks
lou

Roy Wall
11-10-2005, 3:37 PM
wow .... real nice shop... looks well thought out and comfortable. I am interested in your slider for the table saw.. did you build it or is it something that you purchased
thanks
lou

Keith,

Great looking place to hang out - thanks for the tour!!!
I've got the same question as lou........looks like Incra miter jig /converted to slider???

Andy Hoyt
11-10-2005, 3:53 PM
TV and AC in your shop?!?!?!?! Since when are these are tools?!?!?!? I guess I'll have to wait for the new 2006 officially sanctioned tool listing - the one from Tennessee, that is. :D

And "art" on the walls. But no curtains on the windows.

Otherwise - wow, cool, and jealousy were the first three elements to settle permanently in the gray matter.

Bob Winkler
11-10-2005, 4:16 PM
Wow, a 2 lathe shop! Love the look and feel- must be a great place to spend lots of time in.

Bob

Keith Burns
11-10-2005, 5:23 PM
So many compliments, Thanks ! I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. The sliding table is a Delta. I made the new table for it with the Incra 3000 so I could accurate miter angles. As some of you know I do segmented turning and I needed more precission.
2. As far as size if I had another 10' added on it would be great but I would end up filling it as well.
3. The shop is clean because I was in between projects. My habit is whenever I finish a project I clean up and put up everything.
4. The lathe by the dust collector has been sold. I replaced it with the Delta shown it Post #2.
5. The AC and TV are required tools. Sometimes I just set in that orange chair and watch TV and think. Without the ac it would just be to hot.
6. The 4" dust piping works to my satisfaction. It collects most of the chips and keeps the fine dust out of the air. It is always better to have the duct overhead. Eliminates tripping over it and is easy to work on if you have to. If you bury it in a concrete floor and have a plug up or want to change things aroud you can't do it. I design and sell industrial dust systems, furniture plants, floorings mills, etc. and thats the way its done, overhead.

Thanks again

Chris Damato
11-10-2005, 6:22 PM
I love the shop. What are the white cylinder shaped things hanging off the ceiling with the pull cords? They dont look like lights. How is the shop heated?

Bob Noles
11-10-2005, 6:30 PM
Keith,

What a fantastic shop! I don't think it gets any cozier than yours. It is more like a real man's den than a shop.

So.... wanna trade? :D

Michael Stafford
11-10-2005, 6:58 PM
Keith, a great looking shop. Very well organized, just what I would expect from a man who does such fantastic segmented work. Everything in its place and a place for everything. I do admire a man who has TV in his shop. But I do have one question....I noticed 2 pairs of shoes in the last picture. Does one have to take off his shoes when they enter your shop?:p :eek: :D

Doug Shepard
11-10-2005, 8:04 PM
I'm totally green with envy. Skewz me while I go look at my pitiful garage setup and have a good cry.

Jim Becker
11-10-2005, 8:20 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing, too.

Mark Singer
11-10-2005, 8:22 PM
Keith,
Nice shop ....really well layed out!

Bruce Page
11-10-2005, 8:32 PM
Great looking shop Keith! Those doors are too classy for a wood shop though. :D

David Duke
11-10-2005, 8:35 PM
Great looking shop Keith, as far as keeping it clean I made myself a promise when I built mine that I would do as you stated, clean and up up everything after completion of a particular project and so far have been able to keep that promise...........now we don't want to talk about what it looks like during a project!!!!!!!!!

Jason Tuinstra
11-10-2005, 9:29 PM
Keith, great tour! You obviously take great pride in your space and I'm sure it shows in the way you build furniture as well. Thanks again.

George Summers
11-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Why does everybody else's shop look cleaner and more organized than mine?:confused:

George

Scott Parks
11-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Skewz me while I go look at my pitiful garage setup and have a good cry.
I hope Max didn't break your heart already....:eek:

Keith, nice looking shop. Inside and OUT! I bet it's really nice to have a didicated shop, even though it is a tight squeeze. At least you don't have to share it with 2 cars!

John Hart
11-10-2005, 10:17 PM
.....I noticed 2 pairs of shoes in the last picture. Does one have to take off his shoes when they enter your shop?:p :eek: :D

If you notice...the shoes are next to the lathe. I think he turned them!

Wow Wee Keith!! Great shop! I have an itty bitty shop that is impossible to clean. Next spring...new house...new shop....I hope it can be half as nice as yours!!

John Hart
11-10-2005, 10:17 PM
.....I noticed 2 pairs of shoes in the last picture. Does one have to take off his shoes when they enter your shop?:p :eek: :D

If you notice...the shoes are next to the lathe. I think he turned them!

Wow Wee Keith!! Great shop! I have an itty bitty shop that is impossible to clean. Next spring...new house...new shop....I hope it can be half as nice as yours!!

Keith Burns
11-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Alright already.....the shoes were used when working in the dirt. They are gone now along with that lathe.

Chris Damato
11-11-2005, 8:46 AM
What are the white cylinder shaped things hanging off the ceiling with the pull cords?

Keith Burns
11-11-2005, 9:12 AM
Chris...those are 500 watt haolgen lights. They work great except they put out a lot of heat which is fine in the winter as they help heat.

Kent Cori
11-11-2005, 9:30 AM
Nice digs Keith. I particularly like your table saw station.

Chris Damato
11-11-2005, 9:46 AM
Keith,

How is the shop heated if at all? I am trying to decide how to heat mine but I imagine it is a bit colder up here in NY than in Tennessee.

-Chris