PDA

View Full Version : MsBubba's Kitchen Cart

ken hatch
02-03-2018, 10:04 PM
The LOML has been asking for a roll around kitchen cart for a couple of years. Being the type to not rush into things (AKA a procrastinator) I finally started on it a couple or three weeks ago. I found some 12/4 White Oak for the legs and a couple of 5/4 Cherry boards for the stretchers/aprons in the wood pile that would work for the cart. I've been piddling with it between a trip to Houston to see the Grandpeanut, the Flu, and work. Today I had a near full day in the shop with only a couple of honey-do interruptions and finished all the major joinery except for a couple of grooves in the lower stretchers to hold the rabbeted shelf slats. I put it together to measure the slats and to check and note the joints that need a little more fiddling with. I'll make a glue-up Hard Maple work surface/top for it and a drawer, clean up the joints and show faces and this sucker will be finished. Then I can move on to making a new traveling work bench for this Fall's trip to the PNW.

The color is off on the photos and to correct I would have to dig deeper into my Photoshop-fu than I want to, BTDT for too many years, ain't interested anymore.

Front:

Side:

Back:

Closer to true color than the others.

As always click 'em to big 'em,

kem

Phil Mueller
02-03-2018, 10:16 PM
Nice progress, Ken. Should be nice to use. By the way, you need more tools.

Derek Cohen
02-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Ken, the joinery looks nice and clean. Looking forward to seeing the top on it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stew Denton
02-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Ken,

It is looking good. You are doing your normal nice work! Like Derek, I am looking forward to seeing the top on it.

Stew

Brian Holcombe
02-03-2018, 11:29 PM
Nice work Ken!

David Eisenhauer
02-03-2018, 11:50 PM
Good stuff Ken. Don't never stop.

Matt Lau
02-04-2018, 12:38 AM
Nice.

Btw, how'd you get the nickname bubba?
Reminds me of the story of Bubba Goldstein, who's friend call him Tanto.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2018, 12:59 AM
Looking good, hope SWMBO doesn't see it, she will want one.

jtk

ken hatch
02-04-2018, 4:48 AM
Nice progress, Ken. Should be nice to use. By the way, you need more tools.

Thanks Phil,

You noticed the 10lbs of stuff in the 5lb box :). It's a sickness but it keeps me out of the bars. BTW the only way it works is living in the desert Southwest, anywhere else I'd never get any work done, all my time would be spent doing tool maintenance.

ken

ken hatch
02-04-2018, 4:49 AM
Ken, the joinery looks nice and clean. Looking forward to seeing the top on it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, photos to follow.

ken

ken hatch
02-04-2018, 4:56 AM
Thanks Stew, Brian and David,

I can't stop, If MsBubba sees me sitting she comes up with something that needs doing right now and it's a heck of a lot less fun than making furniture :).

ken

ken hatch
02-04-2018, 5:44 AM
Nice.

Btw, how'd you get the nickname bubba?
Reminds me of the story of Bubba Goldstein, who's friend call him Tanto.

Matt,

Thanks,

Be careful what you ask of a OF :). Many years ago the guy I worked for had a Summer home in Rockport ME. My F.O. and I would fly many trips from Houston to Rockport every Summer. we were the Ken and Ken show, and a lot of the flights were back side of the clock deadheads. Ken had even more of a Texas accent (East Texas vs. West Texas) than I have.

A little back story, each country has a way of assigning ident numbers to its aircraft, those numbers are used as "call signs" for commutation with Air Traffic Control. U.S. registered aircraft's number begins with a "N" aka a "N" number. Aircraft can also have special "call signs" kinda like vanity plates on a car. Air Force1 is an example, Air force1 isn't an airplane, it is the plane with the President on board. I flew for several years Evergreen1 anytime Dale Smith was on the flight. Damn that was a tasty rabbit, back to the story.

Being on the back side of the clock, we would often talk to and sometime joke with the New York Center controllers. Neither of us had much to do, New York Center controller watching our target craw across his radar screen and Ken and I watching the world under us craw by. Because of our accents we would joke about Bubba1 coming through. In later years after Ken had moved on to American Airlines when we would find ourselves in the same airspace and hear the other on the radio the question would be "that you Bubba1" or "Bubba1 come up on short count". Short count is the radio frequency123.4, that way we could talk without interfering with ATC.

Like I said be careful asking an OF a question :),

BTW, the LOML is about as far from a MsBubba as it gets being born and raised in Kilmarnock, Scotland.

ken aka bubba1

ken hatch
02-04-2018, 5:49 AM
Looking good, hope SWMBO doesn't see it, she will want one.

jtk

Thanks Jim,

If your is like mine it doesn't take much to cause a "special request". And then she questions why it isn’t finished the next day because "it's just sticking a couple or three boards together":).

ken

Dan Sheehan
02-05-2018, 9:47 AM
Hi Bubba:

I'm planning a similar project for my own house and am wrestling with dimensions. I love the proportion in your cart. Would you be willing to share? Also, what about the "cart" part? I am looking for some sturdy, attractive an non-marring wheels. So far I'm, in the "pick any two out of three criteria" situation. Any help?

Thanks for posting this nice project.

Dan

ken hatch
02-05-2018, 6:21 PM
Hi Bubba:

I'm planning a similar project for my own house and am wrestling with dimensions. I love the proportion in your cart. Would you be willing to share? Also, what about the "cart" part? I am looking for some sturdy, attractive an non-marring wheels. So far I'm, in the "pick any two out of three criteria" situation. Any help?

Thanks for posting this nice project.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks. The cart is 500mmX800mm and will end up with the top about 550mmX850mm and 900mm tall. That's about 22" deepX33" long and just under 36" tall. Wheels are tough to find. I've some butt ugly red ones the local Woodcraft carries that are good wheels and MsBubba has signed off on them but I'm still looking for something that is not as noticeable (butt ugly).

ken

Jim Koepke
02-05-2018, 7:35 PM
Dan,

Thanks. The cart is 500mmX800mm and will end up with the top about 550mmX850mm and 900mm tall. That's about 22" deepX33" long and just under 36" tall. Wheels are tough to find. I've some butt ugly red ones the local Woodcraft carries that are good wheels and MsBubba has signed off on them but I'm still looking for something that is not as noticeable (butt ugly).

ken

One way to hide the wheels is to have an apron around the bottom with a shelf.

jtk

ken hatch
02-08-2018, 7:11 AM
One way to hide the wheels is to have an apron around the bottom with a shelf.

jtk

Jim,

That would work except for the need to get to the wheel lock. It looks like red it is.

ken

ken hatch
02-08-2018, 7:29 AM
MsBubba's kitchen cart is ready for glue up. Because of the size, weight, and number of joints I've asked a friend over to help. we are both OF's that are deaf, hard headed, and have bad backs. It should be fun, maybe I need to make a video.

Here are two views of the parts waiting to be joined.

That was so exciting here it is from the other side:

My first thought was to use hot hide glue but it is still a little cool in Tucson and its open time would be a little short plus I'm not draw boring the joints so I will go with Old Brown glue. That should cut down on the fun factor a little.

ken

Joe Tilson
02-08-2018, 7:49 AM
Ken,
Have you looked at the wheels LV has?

Nice looking cart. I too will be waiting for the top view.

Bill Carey
02-08-2018, 9:10 AM
I just finished an island and am very happy with these: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06465819?rItem=06465819
Of course, now she wants the locking wheels, which were not part of her original specification.
I'll post a pic or 2 later today.

ken hatch
02-08-2018, 5:58 PM
Ken,
Have you looked at the wheels LV has?

Nice looking cart. I too will be waiting for the top view.

Joe,

Yep, I did but MsBubba had already signed off on the red ones. I've learned to never try changing her mind.

ken

ken hatch
02-08-2018, 5:59 PM
I just finished an island and am very happy with these: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06465819?rItem=06465819
Of course, now she wants the locking wheels, which were not part of her original specification.
I'll post a pic or 2 later today.

Bill,

BTDT too many times :). Looking forward to the photos,

ken

ken