PDA

View Full Version : Setting Computer Clock

Bert Kemp
02-03-2018, 3:54 PM
Over the years I've had many different computers never had a problem setting the clock. Now I just bought a refurb dell laptop win 7 I7core and no matter how I set it ,the time is wrong. If I manually set it mt email times are all off. if I set it by time zone the clock is off.by hours i 've set to AZ time, set to MTN time, any ideas?

Marshall Harrison
02-03-2018, 4:01 PM
Other than move to a timezone that fits the computer time, no. Never seen that happen in my 30 years as a developer.

May want to check to see if there is something in the bios that can set the time. OR call Dell.

Good luck.

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2018, 4:36 PM
Bert, unless you are having some sort of hardware problem, you should be able to sync the clock to the web. Here is a link that explains the how-to: Clock Sync (https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-incorrect-windows-clock/)

Hope that helps.

Marshall Harrison
02-03-2018, 4:42 PM
Bert, unless you are having some sort of hardware problem, you should be able to sync the clock to the web. Here is a link that explains the how-to: Clock Sync (https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-incorrect-windows-clock/)

Hope that helps.

But doesn't Windows already do that?

Which brings up a question; what OS are you running?

John Terefenko
02-04-2018, 1:26 AM
Is your motherboard battery good.

Myk Rian
02-04-2018, 12:49 PM
But doesn't Windows already do that?

Which brings up a question; what OS are you running?
Win 7, as in his OP.

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-04-2018, 1:42 PM
Please clarify how "the time is wrong" so we can help you pinpoint the problem.
Do you set it to your correct time and then come back X later and find the time is incorrect?
Do you leave it turned on or do you shut it off?
Is it only your email time that is off? (If so, this points to your email server may be located in another time zone.)
Is it off by an exact amount of hours (such as a different time zone) or is it off by different minutes each time you check it?

Chuck Wintle
02-05-2018, 8:19 AM
Over the years I've had many different computers never had a problem setting the clock. Now I just bought a refurb dell laptop win 7 I7core and no matter how I set it ,the time is wrong. If I manually set it mt email times are all off. if I set it by time zone the clock is off.by hours i 've set to AZ time, set to MTN time, any ideas?

I would go into the bios of the laptop and set the time there and see if it helps.