PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox w1745w jointer.

Scott Quale
02-03-2018, 12:51 PM
I have a brand new shop Fox w1745w. It came in two undamaged boxs. It took about 4 hours to put together, everything went smoothly until I turned it on. After about 90 seconds of operation it tripped a breaker. I went around my shop and tried every outlet they all tripped. I finally took it into my metal shop and plugged it into a dedicated 20 amp outlet and it tripped after about a minute and a half. I checked every connection, checked the motor mounts checked the V belt tension and Alignment everything seem to be to spec. Please help. Thank you in advance.

Bill Dufour
02-03-2018, 11:09 PM
Hp, voltage? disconnect belt and try it that way.

Bill Dufour
02-03-2018, 11:12 PM
Close off the intake and try that. In my previous post I though it was a jointer from the model # for some reason not a dust collector.

Matt Day
02-04-2018, 9:25 AM
6” jointer from a google search.

As bill said remove the belts so the motor has no load. Spin the motor pulley and the cutterhead pulley - smooth or rough?

Bill Dufour
02-04-2018, 1:14 PM
[QUOTE=Matt Day;2773767]6” jointer from a google search.

for some reason my firefox has defaulted to another search engine, maybe bing? it only shows one page of hits total and they seldom have much to do with the search. I think they are all paid ads.
Bill D

Scott Quale
02-04-2018, 4:31 PM
1hp 120v. Thanks for replying Bill!

Scott Quale
02-04-2018, 5:32 PM
6” jointer from a google search.

As bill said remove the belts so the motor has no load. Spin the motor pulley and the cutterhead pulley - smooth or rough?

Smooth as silk when I remove the belts. The cutterhead spins freely

Scott Quale
02-04-2018, 5:36 PM
The manual says to only tighten the belt with the force of your hand and it should only yield a half inch deflection. It seems loos to me when i turn it on, the belt rattles and then about 30 secs later it trips the breaker. with no belt, it ran for 5mins without fail very smoothly.

Bill Dufour
02-04-2018, 7:03 PM
I do not know that jointer but I would loosen the bearing mounting bolts then retighten them if they are standard pillow block mounts. Check the belt is parallel with both pulleys. The motor may have shifted off as well.They may have shifted out of alignment in shipping. If the motor runs for 5 minutes the starter switch is working fine.
Bill D

Scott Quale
02-05-2018, 3:36 AM
The pulleys are parallel, I will try addressing the bearing bolts. Thanks again Bill!

Matt Day
02-05-2018, 7:51 AM
Since it’s now Monday and you’ve done quite a bit of investigation, and it’s brand new, give Shop Fox a call and see what they say.