PDA

View Full Version : Source for Pratt & Lambert #38

Bruce Schoenleber
02-02-2018, 8:09 AM
I have been wanting to try this stuff for quite a while, but I can't find a source. No one seems to carry it, nor can I find a mail order solution. Also, I would prefer quart size over a gallon as I am sure a gallon would gel before I got 25% through it.

Thanks!

John C Cox
02-02-2018, 8:43 AM
Most of the old fashioned oil based Alkyd and Phenolic base varnishes have been taken off the market because of VOC restrictions.

There are still a few left.. Mostly they serve the Sailboat industry... Some of these require some additional work to make them suitable for indoor woodworking.... For example - Epifanes varnish requires additional Epifanes resin so it hardens properly in furniture use.. I have heard that Captains varnish can make a nice finish as well.

One that stands out is plain old Ace Interior Varnish... Yes - from Ace Hardware store...
Waterlox is still a conventional oil varnish as well.. It generally gets very good marks.
And Tru Oil is still a conventional varnish that wipes very well (though some find it a bit dark).

If you are willing to try a new Urethane base formula - Behlen's Rock Hard, Murdoch's, and (ironically) Minwax wiping poly all get very good marks.

John K Jordan
02-02-2018, 5:10 PM
I don't' know if they actually have it but the web site let me put the non-gloss/non-satin can in the shopping cart: http://www.uspaintsupply.com/paint/38-varnish/

Also the "find a retailer" option on this page brought up two dealers near me: http://www.prattandlambert.com/product-selector/homeowner/stains_clears/38_clear_varnish

Jim Kemppainen
02-02-2018, 7:33 PM
Pond Cove Paints

Bruce Schoenleber
02-03-2018, 7:51 AM
Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I went to uspaintsupply prior to making the query here, it showed "unavailable" for all gloss options.

I'll check out Pond Cove.

Dan Hahr
02-06-2018, 9:22 PM
Lots of Ace Hardware stores will order it for you. I did have to buy six qts.
Dan