PDA

View Full Version : A Stepback Cupboard

steven c newman
02-01-2018, 1:20 PM
The Boss wanted a "Chimney Cupboard" to sit in a corner. Corner has an outside wall to the left, and a Chimney chase to the right
Need to clean this spot out. We looked around, and found something she liked....called a stepback cupboard, where the top half "steps back". Plan was to use the upper case as a Bookcase...the bottom case was to house most of the "Household Tools" sitting on that old kennel...so, after about 45bf of Ash, a bit of handtool work, a lot of cussing;) And a few odds and ends...here we go..:D
Amber Shellac turned the Ash a golden/orange colour...
Two bottom shelves will not get any finish....tools don't mind.
Same with the inside of the drawer...as I rarely finish the sides, or the insides of drawers
I might need a little more practice, doing these by hand...:rolleyes:
This things stands at least 6'3", will have to measure it....Bookcase is 9" deep.
Hinges were just Yard Sale finds from last year. Walnut plugs to cover the counter-bored screw-holes
Both doors have a raised panel...made using a few handplanes.
Shelves slide into place in sliding dovetails.
Width of this project was sized to fit the space...allowing for the baseboards.
Not too bad of a project? (Ash was about...$0.80a bf:eek:)

John TenEyck
02-01-2018, 2:52 PM
Looks like it will fit the space really well. I can't recall ever seeing daylight between the lower and upper halves like on yours. Do you intend to leave it that way? Looks a bit odd to me, and stuff that goes back in there might slip off the back, down the wall. Ash at $0.80/BF is a bargain. I pay more like $2.50.

John

steven c newman
02-01-2018, 3:36 PM
There MAY yet be a drawer in that open space. Right now, I need it open, as the upper cabinet gets attached to the lower cabinet via a cleat on each side....two screws through the cleat and into the sides of the upper cabinet to attach. Then maybe a shallow drawer/ tray.....we'll see. I do have one more metal knob left over....

steven c newman
02-01-2018, 7:56 PM
OK, here ya go....one drawer..
And...slide it open..
Picked up a couple latches today, to lock the doors shut..

Will Boulware
02-02-2018, 1:49 PM
Good looking piece of furniture!

John TenEyck
02-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Yep, the drawer was a good idea. Now it looks like a tall cabinet rather than one cabinet on top of another.

John