PDA

View Full Version : Weird question about Bosch

Robin Dobbie
02-01-2018, 10:09 AM
I was trying to decide whether I wanted to go to Home Depot and get the Freud 1/8" straight router bit or Lowes and get the Bosch equivalent. I've had good luck with Freud bits, but wanted to at least find out about the Bosch. Lowes chat told me that particular bit is made in Japan. I thought that was interesting enough to look at the Bosch wikipedia page.

While poking around, I did a Google search for the CEO, Volkmar Denner. The Google summary states that he was appointed to his position by Angela Merkel. I'm sure you know she's the German Chancellor, and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with Bosch. She's not on their board of management and neither Volkmar Denner's or Bosh's wikipedia page or website mention anything about Merkel. So, do German politicians dictate top management positions of private entities, or was Google's summary automated somehow by an AI that was erroneously smelling burnt toast at that moment?

Wade Lippman
02-01-2018, 12:22 PM
He was appointed by Merkel to a steering committee. Nothing to do with Bosch.

Robin Dobbie
02-02-2018, 3:41 AM
Yeah literally the first result when I searched "Angela Merkel appoints Volkmar Denner". I dont know why I didn't think of that this morning.

Matt Day
02-02-2018, 9:36 AM
So which bit did you buy? Lol

Art Mann
02-02-2018, 9:50 AM
If you guys are searching for accurate political information, I don't think Google is the place to go.

I have owned exactly one Bosch bit and it has been quite good. I bought it in an emergency. It is a 1/4" spiral upcut and I used it for hours on my CNC router before it got dull. It held up better than MLCS (which I will never buy again) and other cheap brands but not Freud or Whiteside.

glenn bradley
02-02-2018, 10:00 AM
I also have one Bosch bit bought when I was in a pinch. It worked fine but, was $28 and the Whiteside version was only $22. I paid a premium for a lesser cutter due to circumstances.

Bruce Wrenn
02-03-2018, 9:12 PM
Bosch now owns Freud, if memory serves me correct. Bosch has a plant here in NC that makes several lines (brands) of bits, all made in the same plant.

mike holden
02-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Bosch now owns Freud, if memory serves me correct. Bosch has a plant here in NC that makes several lines (brands) of bits, all made in the same plant.

Does NOT mean that all the items made are to the same standard. Easy to run separate lines of production with different materials, tolerances, etc.

Mike (ex supplier quality engineer)

Robin Dobbie
02-07-2018, 4:43 PM
So which bit did you buy? Lol

I bought the Freud. I did go to Lowes first, but the package said made in Taiwan. Freud still says Italy, so that's what I got. The Bosch does have 1/2" cut depth and the Freud is just 3/8", but I don't foresee needing more than 1/4". The project I bought the bit for only needs 1/16", so doesn't even matter.