PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board with inlay

David Falkner
01-31-2018, 11:09 PM
So... I've been in creative mode lately to augment our Etsy shop and have come up with more unique cutting boards, trivets, etc. I haven't done a video in a month so it was time for another and I decided to do one on this cutting board.

It's edge grain Maple with Walnut inlay and the rosette is left over pieces from end grain cutting boards. I knew those little pieces would come in handy one day! The board is 12" x 16.5" x 1" thick. For those who play guitar this is styled after a 00 size Martin guitar. For those who don't play guitar, it's still styled after a 00 size Martin guitar. ;)

Here's the finished board -

And here's the making of video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-NdqCyCy9I

Enjoy!
David

Jim Becker
02-01-2018, 10:42 AM
You are a brave man cutting that thing up like that, but the end result is outstanding!

David Falkner
02-01-2018, 5:57 PM
You are a brave man cutting that thing up like that, but the end result is outstanding!

Thanks, Jim! That didn't bother me at all. What was difficult was cutting two cavities in this end grain cutting board a few minutes ago - 15" x 15" x 2 1/4". The crosses, one on each side, needed to be in the same spot on both sides, dead parallel to the sides, and I have one shot at it or I would have to make the cutting board all over again. So even if I got one right and missed the other I would be starting over. But, alas, the crosses are within 1/32" of each other and that's far closer than my customer is going to be checking anyway.

Btw, cutting pockets into end grain is some sweet cutting! I wish edge and face grain cut this nicely.

David

Jim Becker
02-01-2018, 6:52 PM
THAT is a job for a CNC...hey, new tool opportunity!! :D

Bruce Volden
02-01-2018, 7:41 PM
Ah.. David,

You forgot the strings--I believe it would play nice for cheese!!

Bruce

Benjimin Young
02-05-2018, 6:17 PM
Beautiful David. Something tells me you make the CNC work look a lot easier than it is. Thanks for sharing.

David Falkner
02-05-2018, 7:27 PM
Ah.. David,

You forgot the strings--I believe it would play nice for cheese!!

Bruce

Haha! I actually had strings and bridge pins in my initial design but ultimately decided it was too much. I like the minimal look of this better. The end grain rosette had to say, though. I think that looks cool.

Beautiful David. Something tells me you make the CNC work look a lot easier than it is. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Benjimin! I have to admit the CNC work is much easier now than when I started with it 15 months ago. I guess that's like anything else, though.

David