PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sorby beginner's set

tom lucas
01-31-2018, 6:01 PM
I have a chance to buy a used set of R.S. beginners chisels, 6 piece set, the basics for $100. Are they worth it? These tools are on craig's list. They don't look like they've ever been sharpened. Although the handles show some wear of paint and finish. Looks like mostly from a loveless life of a none-turner. What do you think? Appreciate the opinions.

John Keeton
01-31-2018, 7:56 PM
I am not much in favor of sets, but without seeing the tools I would prefer this - https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=64b9140c8711369483bf23395b 299932&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PS&Product_Code=LCHSS8&Category_Code=lathe-chisel-sets

tom lucas
01-31-2018, 8:23 PM
Similar set: 3/4" skew, a bowl gouge, 3/4" roughing gouge, spindle gouge, 1" scraper, parting tool . Roughing and bowl gouge are long handled. Is the BB steel as good as that used in robert sorby?

I am not much in favor of sets, but without seeing the tools I would prefer this - https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=64b9140c8711369483bf23395b 299932&Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PS&Product_Code=LCHSS8&Category_Code=lathe-chisel-sets

John Keeton
01-31-2018, 8:42 PM
I can’t answer as to the steel. I believe both are M2 HSS, but beyond that I don’t know. I do have some BB scrapers and a large roughing gouge that seem to do fine. My thought is that you would be better served getting some individual tools consistent with what you want to turn and eventually move up to Thompson and D-Way.

tom lucas
01-31-2018, 9:09 PM
thanks John. I'm looking at tools I can use to learn to sharpen and practice cutting without worrying too much if I ruin them. From what I've read, the R.S. steel is a bit better hardened. Since the R.S. set sells new for over $200, I think $100 is reasonable, especially if they have never been sharpened (in spite of some surface corrosion from lack of love). They look like they've just been sitting around in someone's garage for years, owned by someone that never really used them.

John Keeton
01-31-2018, 10:01 PM
Just keep in mind that on most all tools except the skew corrosion on the flute or top side will prevent a good edge as the cutting edge is comprised of the grind and the top surface. Without honing the flute to a clean surface it may not produce a good edge.

tom lucas
02-01-2018, 7:46 AM
Here is what they look like

John Keeton
02-01-2018, 8:01 AM
They don't look to be in bad shape. The quality is probably fine and the price isn't bad.

Fred Belknap
02-01-2018, 8:04 AM
I bought basically the same set when I started turning and I still use some of them. The bowl gouge wore out to the point of no flute left, the oval skew is a PIA to use. The rest of the tools I still use on occasion. I think the extra skew isn't part of the original set. For the money they are well worth purchasing in my opinion. Good luck and have fun.

Mike Goetzke
02-01-2018, 9:13 AM
Take a look at the Woodturning Store - they currently have a 20% off sale. You can get a similar HSS 8-piece beginners set for less than $50 more.

Mike

George Troy Hurlburt
02-01-2018, 9:24 AM
Good buy, I have 3 or 4 out of the set. Sorby is a good brand. I would be proud to own them, I am of mine. In my opinion turning tools made in England or USA are the best.

tom lucas
02-01-2018, 10:03 AM
I couldn't find them

Take a look at the Woodturning Store - they currently have a 20% off sale. You can get a similar HSS 8-piece beginners set for less than $50 more.

Mike

Mike Goetzke
02-01-2018, 12:43 PM
I couldn't find them

Linky (http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/hurricane-8-piece-woodturning)

put it in cart to see discount

tom lucas
02-01-2018, 1:13 PM
Must only be available to select group or something. Link doesn't work (error 404 on woodturning store website). 8 piece set shows $179 in my cart.

Linky (http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/hurricane-8-piece-woodturning)

put it in cart to see discount

Mike Goetzke
02-01-2018, 2:06 PM
Must only be available to select group or something. Link doesn't work (error 404 on woodturning store website). 8 piece set shows $179 in my cart.

Sorry link not working - go to their site pick hand tools, woodturning tools, turning tool sets, then look for the 8-piece set.

Walter Mooney
02-01-2018, 3:16 PM
Thomas, there is no 1” scraper in the set. There are two skews, one oval and one ‘usual’. This is the exact same set I started with, and still have and use. I agree with the comments by both Fred and George — the oval skew’s a PIA, and the steel is some good stuff. I’d go for it!

Len Mullin
02-01-2018, 4:42 PM
Thomas, they're good turning tools, and that'a a good price. Personally, I think you should buy them if they are still available. I have my doubts, that you will ever be sorry you bought them. I would buy them if I had the chance, if for nothing else they would be good second or spare tools.
Len

tom lucas
02-01-2018, 7:08 PM
Yeah, I've decided to buy them. Pick them up on Saturday. I couldn't find anything close to what Mike was suggesting on Woodturners. Cheapest set was $179. $50 for an new eight piece set would have been an incredible deal, hard to pass up. I just didn't see them or anything close for even $100.

Joe Kaufman
02-07-2018, 10:49 AM
The first skew I purchased was the same oval skew in this set. I would recommend that you practice with something 1" or less in diameter, otherwise you are just too close to one of the points of the skew and an unpleasant experience. My early experiences with the narrow oval skew on larger diameter work left me with a deep distrust for the skew in general. It wasn't until a few years later that I tried a 1" conventional skew and found out that the skew didn't always equal a ruined project. I now use that oval skew on most pens I make.

tom lucas
02-07-2018, 8:14 PM
I picked up the set and actually used some of them a bit. There are two spindle gouges, a roughing gouge 3/8 and 1/4, parting tool, 1" skew, and a 1/2" shear scraper. I'm guessing at what the last one is. It may be a scraper that just has a compound grind on it. Some were pretty sharp, but none were real good. Anyway, they are a medium handle set, smaller than the other tools I have. So, most of them do fill a void in my turning tools. I think they'll be great for spindle and small pieces of work. The skew worked quite well for finish smoothing some file handles I made as practice pieces. I was proud of myself for not getting any catches with the skew as this is the first time I've used one.

A friend loaned me his Tormak sharpening jigs to used on my Grizzly wet grinder. Last night I practiced on a cheap Chinese tool set that I have and think I go pretty good results. I'll finish up that set and try them out before I go to grinding on the R.S. tools.

John K Jordan
02-08-2018, 11:20 AM
.. It wasn't until a few years later that I tried a 1" conventional skew and found out that the skew didn't always equal a ruined project. I now use that oval skew on most pens I make.

I'm one who likes the oval skew just fine - I don't "feel" much difference between it and the other more conventional skews I use. It's not much good as a scraper and perhaps peeling cuts, but it works perfectly well for planing, facing, and v-grooves. In fact, the oval tends to give a bit more visibility for plunge-type cuts. As for planing, the bevel always perfectly supports the edge so the shape cross-sectional shape of the skew shouldn't make any difference. At least none that I can tell.

I keep two 1" Sorby oval skews, one with a 40-deg included angle and a second with a smaller angle, closer to 30-deg I think. They do take more effort to sharpen freehand. Probably best sharpened on a belt sander.

Anyone who has an oval skew gathering dust can send them here! :) (That's how I got one of those I have.) I'll use them to teach and give them to promising people.

JKJ