PDA

View Full Version : Is this cherry blotch?

Peter Morse
01-31-2018, 3:19 PM
New to woodworking and can't figure out if the dark spots I'm seeing on this kitchen shelf I made are the "blotches" that I've heard about, or if it's a fault of my sanding technique.

After the planer and 120 grit belt sanding, I used a random orbit sander was 320 then 400, then danish oil and polyurethane, then buffing with 0000 steel wool. It's very, very smooth.

Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

(Also, this is my first post, so feel free to tell me if I'm posting in the wrong place.)

Jim Becker
01-31-2018, 9:48 PM
"Blotch" is basically uneven absorption of some element of the finish by the figure in the wood...dye/stain, oil, etc., and it's a natural thing. In your case, it's the oil. There are ways to control it if you prefer to do so; a conditioner or "blotch control" product, for example. Some of us don't really mind it at all and once the cherry darkens naturally, you'll not likely see it as much, if at all.

Bill McNiel
02-01-2018, 8:39 PM
That does appear to be "blotch". If you want a more even look check out Charles Neal Blotch Control, I used it on a commission a few years ago and it worked really well.

Peter Morse
02-03-2018, 1:23 PM
"Blotch" is basically uneven absorption of some element of the finish by the figure in the wood...dye/stain, oil, etc., and it's a natural thing. In your case, it's the oil. There are ways to control it if you prefer to do so; a conditioner or "blotch control" product, for example. Some of us don't really mind it at all and once the cherry darkens naturally, you'll not likely see it as much, if at all.

Jim, thanks for your reply. The thing is, I noticed those dark spots before putting on the finish. Sanding more didn't seem to remove them, so I went ahead with the oil. Is it typical that you'd notice the blotch even before the oil?

Jim Becker
02-03-2018, 2:02 PM
Sometimes more figured pieces will display different colors like you describe...