PDA

View Full Version : Another Maloof joint question

David Utterback
01-31-2018, 12:14 PM
Is there an ideal size or ratio for the thickness and width of the internal tenon for this joint? Thanks!

Joe Cowan
02-01-2018, 9:01 AM
If you are speaking of the bridle joints in the seat, mine have been 1" mortise/tenon. I do the seat first, thus the tenon would come first, then match up the mortise in the legs to the actual tenon size.

Prashun Patel
02-01-2018, 9:45 AM
I highly recommend either the Morrison or Brock plans and dvd's. They're a small price to pay for superb documentation.

Bill Fleming
02-01-2018, 1:08 PM
I agree about the Brock plans and DVD (haven’t seen Morrison’s). The Brock Stool project is a great start without undertaking a bigger project.

David Utterback
02-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Thanks for your feedback. I have watched the Brock dvd and it is very informative.

Yet my design is substantially different and still evolving. I am making a Greene and Greene prototype chair that has a sculpted seat. The Maloof type joints are being used although they are modified, like the seats, to a much less contoured appearance.

This is just an experiment that may or may not work. Hopefully, it will turn out sufficiently well to not be put in the fireplace.