PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Table Saw Value?

micah ferguson
01-30-2018, 10:01 PM
Can anyone tell me how much this table saw is worth. It is available locally, and the seller is asking $550. I feel like this is overpriced, but not sure. I researched the model number (152.221140) but couldn't seem to find a definitive value. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ted Derryberry
01-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Seems high to me. Personally I've never been a Craftsman fan, particularly because of the non-standard miter slot.

You should be able to find an older Uni-saw with a low end fence for $550.

micah ferguson
01-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Seems high to me. Personally I've never been a Craftsman fan, particularly because of the non-standard miter slot.

You should be able to find an older Uni-saw with a low end fence for $550.

Thanks for the response. If I can't find anything better, what would be an acceptable price for the Craftsman in your opinion?

Von Bickley
01-30-2018, 11:20 PM
I will be honest...... I wouldn't consider buying that saw.

Bruce Page
01-30-2018, 11:39 PM
Saw one go for $350 locally a few weeks ago. I don't recall if it had a mobile base or not.

micah ferguson
01-30-2018, 11:52 PM
I will be honest...... I wouldn't consider buying that saw.

Why is that? Keep in mind, I am only looking for a saw to do small projects with.

Steve Lansing
01-31-2018, 12:46 AM
Price seems high, here in so Cal. saws like that sell for less.

Mark Godlesky
01-31-2018, 12:51 AM
I own that saw and it is a decent hybrid saw. Some people refer to these as zip code saws. They seem to be fairly well regarded. When I bought mine maybe 15 years ago list was about $700 but I paid about $500 on sale. I would maybe go $350 for that one. I did not like the fence and replaced it with a Biesmeyer type fence. The miter slot is standard sized - I use an Incra miter gauge and Dubby taper jig without issue.

Curt Harms
01-31-2018, 6:55 AM
Mark could verify this but I think the trunnions are cabinet mounted so are much easier to align and keep aligned than table mounted trunnions. There's no motor sticking out the back so it takes less space to store. Some zip codes saws came with Biesmeyer fences, this one does not.

Marshall Harrison
01-31-2018, 7:11 AM
I had that saw several years ago and I only paid $600 for it. Not bad for a hybrid saw. Never had any issues with it. But Sears doesn't carry it anymore according to their website and back then their customer service was in Canada. But, they were very good when I dealt with them. just be aware that any issues/parts may end up with an out of country origin.

Robert Parent
01-31-2018, 7:32 AM
I currently own this saw and it is one of the better Sears table saws IMHO. Overall would call it a middle of the road saw in quality. The main limit is that the motor could have been a little larger. It is fine for most things but is at the limit for hardwoods over 5/4 even with a thin kerf blade. If you use a sharp, clean blade you will be fine.

Yes, it is easy to adjust table alignment as the trunnions are cabinet mounted.

The miter gauge slot is standard size.

Dust collection is pretty good if you have or make a chute for the bottom of the cabinet.

Robert

Lee Schierer
01-31-2018, 8:01 AM

My 113 model Craftsman Saw with cast iron top has a standard size miter slot.

micah ferguson
01-31-2018, 8:33 AM
Thank you all very much. This has helped me make an educated decision. Hopefully the seller will come down some on the price.

Ted Derryberry
01-31-2018, 8:42 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize Craftsman saws had switched to standard slots. I still think its overpriced and you could get a better saw for $550.

scott spencer
01-31-2018, 10:28 AM
The 22114 was the middle entry of the popular "zip code" saws. It sold new typically in the $600-$800 range. They were made by Steel City/Orion and featured fairly stout cabinet mounted trunnions. This one has solid 12" cast iron wings and will weigh near 385#. I owned the next model up, 22124 with the Biese fence, for 3 years prior to buying my Shop Fox 3hp cabinet saw, and loved it. The 22114 has a lesser fence and a good track record, but I think $550 is pretty steep for it.

http://www.palatablewoodworking.com/reviews/922124/photos/saw_top_08.jpg

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachments/f12/3230-craftsman-22114-ts-ticking-sound-b000hu31i6.01-a10fhfrjz0gjg3._sclzzzzzzz_ss500_v59872779_.jpg

micah ferguson
01-31-2018, 10:17 PM
I ended up getting the saw for $200 because when I tested it out, it ran, but the blade would not get up to full speed. For $200, it's not that big of a risk, and I figure it just needs some TLC. Can anyone give me some pointers on getting the saw running at 100%.

Mark Godlesky
01-31-2018, 10:44 PM
I would say check three things in this order.

1. Belt - visual inspection should tell you if you need a new one. Is it stretched and slipping?
2.Wiring - is it wired correctly and is the wiring in good shape, connected securely, etc.? IIRC this saw can be wired for 120 or 240. I'd have to check my manual to be sure since mine has always run on 120. Maybe it's miswired. Also a loose connection could possible cause a voltage drop causing the saw to not have max output.
3. Bearings - Are they making noise? Does the blade easily spin by hand? (With it unplugged, of course.)

I think $200 is a pretty decent dealas long as the motor is OK

micah ferguson
01-31-2018, 10:51 PM
I would say check three things in this order.

1. Belt - visual inspection should tell you if you need a new one. Is it stretched and slipping?
2.Wiring - is it wired correctly and is the wiring in good shape, connected securely, etc.? IIRC this saw can be wired for 120 or 240. I'd have to check my manual to be sure since mine has always run on 120. Maybe it's miswired. Also a loose connection could possible cause a voltage drop causing the saw to not have max output.
3. Bearings - Are they making noise? Does the blade easily spin by hand? (With it unplugged, of course.)

I think $200 is a pretty decent dealas long as the motor is OK

The blade does not spin very well by hand...should I start there with new bearings?

Steve Lansing
01-31-2018, 11:58 PM
What is a “zip code saw”? I’ve never heard that term until now.

Ed Edwards
02-01-2018, 5:28 AM
OK, I'll bite what's a zip code saw??

Ed

scott spencer
02-01-2018, 5:31 AM
What is a “zip code saw”? I’ve never heard that term until now.

They were commonly referred to as models 22104, 22114, and 22124, which resembled a zip code, so they got referred to as zipcode saws on some of the forums. You'll find they have similar guts to the early Steel City 35601, 35605, and 35610, which may help you source parts at some point.

First thing I'd check is the belt....be sure it's fully seated on both pulleys, and that the ribs aren't stripped (a mirror can be helpful). Check that the pulleys aren't loose. Also, check that it's wired for 120v and not 240v....there should a diagram on the inside of the wire junction box on the motor. If that's not the culprit, check the motor capacitors. I'd also check that the bearings arent' shot, and causing drag. Get it aligned, and put a good blade on it....should be a nice saw.

Ed Edwards
02-01-2018, 5:43 AM
Micah,
You probably have the saw home by now, Are you still experiencing the issue with the motor?
Mark's diagnostic items were right on.
When you tried to spin the blade did you have the belt removed?
Without the belt on does the motor now come up to speed?
Is the saw able to be wired for 120 volts as well as 240? If so how is it configured, and what voltage do have available?
Remove the wiring access cover, is the inside of the motor loaded with sawdust? Can you blow out the area of the centrifugal switch?
Approach this systematically, just stay cool and don't jump to the bearings yet.

Good luck,
Ed

micah ferguson
02-01-2018, 8:13 AM
Micah,
You probably have the saw home by now, Are you still experiencing the issue with the motor?
Mark's diagnostic items were right on.
When you tried to spin the blade did you have the belt removed?
Without the belt on does the motor now come up to speed?
Is the saw able to be wired for 120 volts as well as 240? If so how is it configured, and what voltage do have available?
Remove the wiring access cover, is the inside of the motor loaded with sawdust? Can you blow out the area of the centrifugal switch?
Approach this systematically, just stay cool and don't jump to the bearings yet.

Good luck,
Ed

Ed, thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. I got it home last night and have not had time to mess with it anymore. I did notice that there is a lot of sawdust on and around the motor, so I am sure everything needs a good cleaning. I will start there. My shop is only wired for 120, and I am pretty sure that's how the saw is currently set up, but I will verify.

micah ferguson
02-12-2018, 11:53 PM
The manual says that if the blade fails to get up to full speed, that it may be the capacitor. it doesn't say which capacitor, so I tested both. The run capacitor is 20 uf, and I got 19.5 when i tested it. The start capacitor is 300 mfd, and it is reading 350. I don't know much about capacitors, so what does it mean that the run capacitor is reading 50 mfd high? Good or bad?

scott spencer
02-13-2018, 6:33 AM
Capacitor tolerances are often +/- 20%, so I'd say both of those read as good, and shouldn't be the cause. Keep moving down your check list.

micah ferguson
02-13-2018, 5:37 PM
Can anyone tell me how freely the blade should spin by hand with the belt not attached? It seems to be more difficult to spin than it should.

Myk Rian
02-13-2018, 7:58 PM
Can anyone tell me how freely the blade should spin by hand with the belt not attached? It seems to be more difficult to spin than it should.
Now it's time to check the arbor bearings. A cleaning and oiling may be all that they need.
I have it's sister saw of the Steel City brand. Love that thing.

Joe Kaufman
02-13-2018, 8:25 PM
Do you know if the previous owner ever used the saw or they purchased the saw and found the present condition and resold it?

As stated follow the above check list.

My opinions:
Most logical, Wired for 240V.

Centrifugal switch not opening and starting windings are still energized preventing motor from attaining full speed. This condition usually results in the starting windings overheating to the point that smoke will result in 20-30 seconds. Watch for this condition until the problem is resolved. Take the fan off the motor and the switch is under a cover under the fan position, if it is like the zip code motors. Verify that the switch will work by hand. The cutout speed is determined by the linear mounting position on the motor shaft - easy to adjust. The switch should open at approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of full speed.

One of the pair of the 4 run windings is open. In this condition the motor usually comes up to speed but with a reduction in power on 120V. Not sure what happens if the run winding is open that is in parallel with the start winding.

You cannot always believe hand held capacitance meters. Early in the failure mode the capacitor may be breaking down at a higher voltage than what the meter can provide. usually doesn't take long for complete failure.

Bill Bukovec
02-13-2018, 9:31 PM
Does the motor get hot after it runs for a few minutes?

scott spencer
02-14-2018, 6:36 AM

It should spin pretty easily. I agree that you should check the arbor bearings.

Myk Rian
02-14-2018, 11:41 AM
Did you get any history from the PO? Any info about it?

Myk Rian
02-14-2018, 11:48 AM
For dust collection, make this for your first project.

Doug Hepler
02-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Micah

I had that saw for years and used it fairly hard every day: miters, bevels, dadoes, finger joints, tenons . . .. It was entirely satisfactory. It does have cabinet mounted trunions and it was a great value for money in its day. I was discouraged by people who did not know what they were talking about, but whose certainty was matched only by their ignorance. I never regretted buying it. The saw may be well worth your time and money to get into top shape again. I don't know what's wrong with the motor, but I will say that while researching this saw I learned that it basically identical to Delta and Steel City models. You could look for parts there as well as craftsman.

Doug

scott spencer
02-14-2018, 12:31 PM
For dust collection, make this for your first project.

They pretty much did it at the factory already.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachments/f12/3230-craftsman-22114-ts-ticking-sound-b000hu31i6.01-a10fhfrjz0gjg3._sclzzzzzzz_ss500_v59872779_.jpg

Charlie Hinton
02-14-2018, 6:34 PM
You are walking through the troubleshooting steps, just keep going.
Was the seller the original owner / long time user or a flipper?
If a flipper, I would check the wiring carefully.
Someone may have wired it (or attempted to wire it for 220V) without changing the 110V plug just to save a couple bucks.
I am surprised the capacitors measured that close to spec.

Dave Hartunian
02-19-2018, 6:55 PM
Most Craftsman tools leave a lot to be desired, such as sub standard parts and odd sizes but for $200.00 that would be my tops for that brand.

George Bokros
02-19-2018, 7:41 PM
I have a Craftsman contractors saw from the mid 70's and it has a standard 3/4" miter slot.

Charlie Hinton
02-19-2018, 9:16 PM
Micha, just curious if you figured out what's going on with the saw??