PDA

View Full Version : Wood Choice for Crib

Aron Fisk
01-30-2018, 2:10 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first child and I am considering building a crib similar to the attached picture. Most of my wood working experience consists of plywood with a hardwood frame. However, this project looks to be a great deal of hardwood and was looking for your expertise in choosing a good wood. I don't have the option to spend a fortune on this project but I do realize that the materials alone will cost more than going to buy a crib from a big box store. Any suggestions on a lumber choice that is reasonably priced yet provide a crib that I could be proud to build. The crib will get a darker stain and I don't even want to say it but the wife may end up doing a white wash as well.

Mel Fulks
01-30-2018, 2:43 PM
Congratulations! Of course your wife doesn't want a gloomy crib. And I would go the legal max on slat spacing . Film Noir
style is not for babies. And the back should be slatted too,then,with the slats a few inches from the wall there will be entertaining light and shadows! I would use soft pine. NorthEastertern white pine is my favorite.

Yonak Hawkins
01-30-2018, 3:33 PM
My 2¢ : Ash is a pretty inexpensive, workable, strong and attractive wood, whether finished or painted, in my opinion.

Mel Fulks
01-30-2018, 3:54 PM
Modern store bought cribs usually have a plastic teething strip on the rail tops. If you don't want to use a modern material for that in order to avoid a factory look ,you could use a soft wood in that one place

Lee Schierer
01-30-2018, 6:55 PM
Soft maple is a good choice for a crib and not terribly expensive. You don't say where you are located, which would help identify local hardwoods for your project. I would stay away from pine as it tends to be soft and will dent easily. Be sure to read up on the proper safety precautions to observe when building a crib, there are many changes that are essential to proper construction and operation to keep your child safe. Most hardwood suppliers will have better quality material and lower prices than the big box stores for hardwood.

Aron Fisk
01-31-2018, 8:50 AM
I'm located in North Dakota. Thanks everyone for the input and ideas.

Soft maple is a good choice for a crib and not terribly expensive. You don't say where you are located, which would help identify local hardwoods for your project. I would stay away from pine as it tends to be soft and will dent easily. Be sure to read up on the proper safety precautions to observe when building a crib, there are many changes that are essential to proper construction and operation to keep your child safe. Most hardwood suppliers will have better quality material and lower prices than the big box stores for hardwood.

Al Launier
01-31-2018, 9:39 AM
Soft Maple would also be my choice.

David Utterback
01-31-2018, 12:08 PM
Congratulations! As Yonak suggested, ash is less expensive than most hardwoods. It works very nicely and the grain resembles red oak. Nearly all who comment on the kitchen hutch I made identify the wood as oak.

Tom Bender
02-01-2018, 6:49 PM
I'm with Yonak on this one. Ash would work great and you can leave it unfinished. If it gets chewed on,,,well it'll take it and will not be poisonous.