PDA

View Full Version : John C. Campbell and John Keeton

Tim Passmore
01-30-2018, 1:12 PM
I recently had the privilege of attending a weekend woodturning class at John C. Campbell, taught by John Keeton. The title of the class was "Ogee Bowls With Bling". It was an amazing experience and one that I certainly plan to do again. I learned tips and techniques which I can implement with many future projects. John Keeton is such a knowledgeable, proficient, and patient instructor. I was truly blessed.

Len Mullin
01-30-2018, 6:07 PM
Tim, that's a very nice looking bowl, I would like to attend a course or two to help improve my turning.
Len

Tim Passmore
01-30-2018, 6:16 PM
Thanks. It's highly recommended.

John Keeton
01-30-2018, 6:24 PM
Thanks, Tim, for the kind words and the supportive comments about JCC. As they say at the Folk School, it changes you. That was evidenced by the show of hands among the 100 or so students this past weekend - the vast majority had attended many times before. I enjoy teaching there, but we also enjoy taking classes there.

Nice avatar, BTW!!:)

Len Mullin
01-30-2018, 6:28 PM
Tim, what material did you use to enhance the bowl top? Could you please post a close up picture of it, I would really like to see a clearer picture of it?
Len

Tim Passmore
01-30-2018, 6:43 PM
Len,
The rim is created by using acrylic polymers, tissue paper scraps, and three layers of paint. Check out John Keeton's web page and you'll see several examples of how he's used this technique. It truly isn't difficult. I don't have any artistic abilities or training. I hope this helps.

Len Mullin
01-30-2018, 6:50 PM
Tim, thanks for the picture, it shows the material outcome much better.
Len

William C Rogers
01-30-2018, 6:57 PM
John has helped me on many questions and techniques. I was fortunate to meet him this past summer and he helped me on getting started with hollow forms. I greatly value his advice. I am also hoping to attend one if his classes next year.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-30-2018, 7:07 PM
Nice bowl Tim!

Congratulations on having John as an instructor.

Tim Passmore
01-30-2018, 7:44 PM
Thanks Ken.

Marshall Harrison
01-30-2018, 8:47 PM
I stop in at the JCC and some of the local shops anytime I'm in that area. Great place to visit even if you are not taking a class.

Peter Blair
01-31-2018, 9:55 AM
John has helped me on many questions and techniques. I was fortunate to meet him this past summer and he helped me on getting started with hollow forms. I greatly value his advice. I am also hoping to attend one if his classes next year.
I too have had a whole lot of help from John! He is a wonderful artist and has always been ready to share and show his expertise!