PDA

View Full Version : The Notorious B.I.G. - A Scrollsaw Portrait

Sean Rippen
01-30-2018, 12:04 PM
I finished a scrollsaw portrait of Biggie Smalls over the weekend that I will be gifting to a friend for his birthday in March. I think it came out well, and I am super excited to give it to him!

The step-by-step process is in the Imgur link below.

https://imgur.com/gallery/X15hE

Bruce Page
01-30-2018, 1:09 PM
Very cool! You have to have extreme patience for that kind of detail.

Sean Rippen
01-30-2018, 1:31 PM
Very cool! You have to have extreme patience for that kind of detail.

Thanks! I just focus on the process and not the end result, and remind myself that I'll finish when I finish. This way it stays an enjoyable hobby versus a "task that needs to get done."

John C Cox
01-30-2018, 1:56 PM
That is really impressive. Pulling that sort of thing off takes considerable skill in many different areas of woodworking. And I especially like the fact that you made something your friend will really enjoy..... I know lots of folks who would love a personalized portrait of their favorite rapper like you made there... Yet they would throw away a hand made bowl, turned pen, or jewelry box...

andrew whicker
01-30-2018, 2:08 PM
That's awesome!

Sean Rippen
01-30-2018, 2:24 PM
Haha thanks. This is one of those gifts that I have no doubt my friend is going to love. His walls are already decked out with rap-inspired art work, so he'll have no problem finding a spot for it.

Jim Becker
01-30-2018, 3:42 PM
Sean, will you please upload the photos here or at least link to a few directly? It will be helpful to our members who have slower Internet and also preserve them for the future. Thanks in advance!

Very nice work, by the way!

Jim
Forum Moderator

Yonak Hawkins
01-30-2018, 3:44 PM
All I can say is, "Wow !" Is that your own design ?

...it stays an enjoyable hobby versus a "task that needs to get done."

This is my philosophy of woodworking, as well. The joy comes from the challenge and the doing. The end result is a fringe benefit.

Sean Rippen
01-30-2018, 4:49 PM
Edit: This is in response to Yonak's question.

No, the design itself is not my own. The design was compiled from two "posterized" pictures of Biggie already available on google. I took the face from one of the pictures and the crown from another. I projected the images onto a wall and traced them onto white butcher paper as my template.

Sean Rippen
01-30-2018, 4:51 PM
Sean, will you please upload the photos here or at least link to a few directly? It will be helpful to our members who have slower Internet and also preserve them for the future. Thanks in advance!

Very nice work, by the way!

Jim
Forum Moderator

Thank you, and yeah, I can upload some pictures directly. My office blocks Imgur, so I'll have to do it later from the house.

Cary Falk
02-01-2018, 9:18 AM
That's awesome. I would have guessed nobody on this forum knew who he was.

Edwin Santos
02-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Very cool.

Yes,I would not have imagined Biggie to ever come up here with this forum's demographic!

Nice to have the diversity though.

Joseph Quattro
05-24-2018, 7:17 PM
Late to the party, but, damn, that’s cool. Being a fan of gangsta rap, I appreciate the subject matter.

joel cervera
08-17-2018, 2:51 PM
ya. wow. thats way cool..