PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Powermatic PJ-882HH Help Please

Roger Bull
01-30-2018, 1:29 AM
I have a Jet jjp-12 jointer and decided sell it and get a long bed jointer. I don't want to wait 8 months for a Shop Fox/Grizzly 12" jointer so I picked up a used Powermatic PJ-882HH off craigslist today. The price was reasonable.
When he delivered it (that was nice) I quickly switched out the plug so I could hear it run before he left. It was much noisier than my 20" Powermatic planer and has a rattle. The seller gave me $100 back. The motor sounds fine with belt off and no load. I have a strong suspicion one or both bearings are bad.
The machine has clearly seen some use so that not a real surprise. 2 carbide inserts and screws are missing from the pork chop end so I'll need to replace those as well.
Suggestions on bearings? I'm going to replace both. Are there better quality than the OEM parts from parts houses like ereplacementparts.com?
Should I replace the bearing housing at the same time?
I really appreciate all tips and advice.

Andrew Hughes
01-30-2018, 1:57 AM
I would check the set screws on the pulleys first. Did you know that Sometimes there are two stacked in one hole.

Roger Bull
01-30-2018, 2:18 AM
I had heard that. When doing the repairs and setup I'm planning on checking every set screw for doubles. I'll mark them for future reference.
The pulleys seemed tight and in good condition. Will check set screws tomorrow just in case.
Thanks!

Matt Day
01-30-2018, 8:24 AM
Check the pulleys are aligned in the same plane too.

When the belts are off and you turn the cutterhead by hand, does it feel rough or smooth? Same for the motor shaft - rough or smooth?

Roger Bull
01-30-2018, 11:44 AM
The motor shaft feels smooth. The cutterhead is not as smooth. I wouldn't call it rough, it's just not perfectly smooth.

Roger Bull
01-30-2018, 11:58 AM
After some more research I landed on a page that breaks down bearing nomenclature that was very helpful:
http://www.gizmology.net/bearings.htm
Since my manual lists the bearing size as 6204-2NSE I was able to determine exactly what those numbers meant using the above link.
I have found bearings much cheaper than OEM on bearing sites and Amazon. At $10 per bearing it's a significant savings.
I'm skipping ordering new bearing housings unless the sages of SMC deem it necessary.
Also, ordered a new set of BT cutter inserts so should have works like new machine soon.