PDA

View Full Version : Any preference in 3HP fixed based routers

Bob Cooper
01-30-2018, 12:28 AM
Any big preference in 3HP fixed based routers for a router table and lift? I have a smaller Milwaukee router in another table (no lift) and it’s served me well but I also know many like the PC. I’m probably most concerned with reliability and accessibility above the table. Two wrenches don’t bother me.

The lift will be JessEm Mast-R-Lift.

Models I’m looking at are
- PC 7518
- Milwaukee 5625-20

Roger Bull
01-30-2018, 1:31 AM
I really like my Milwaukee 5625-20 and highly recommend it to anyone who asks about it.
Assuming it fits the Mast-R-Lift you can't go too wrong.

Nick Decker
01-30-2018, 4:34 AM
The PC 7518 is a long-proven standard and it's what I use, but there have been enough reports of speed control issues that mine makes me nervous. The slide switch that controls the speed often leaves me wondering about exactly which position it's in.

If I had it to do over (and I may) I'd look seriously at the new Jessem offering:

http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pow_R_Tek_Router_with_Remote_Control_Box_p/05200.htm

I emailed Jessem recently and was told that the router was made for them, to specs based on a Milwaukee that they used to sell.

The digital speed readout would be a big plus, for me, as long as the machine is durable. Can't say about that, obviously.

Jerome Stanek
01-30-2018, 6:43 AM
The 7518 is a standard for CNC machines. We use them for all our heavy routing when we build trade show booths.

Dick Mahany
01-30-2018, 9:25 AM
Any big preference in 3HP fixed based routers for a router table and lift? I have a smaller Milwaukee router in another table (no lift) and it’s served me well but I also know many like the PC. I’m probably most concerned with reliability and accessibility above the table. Two wrenches don’t bother me.

The lift will be JessEm Mast-R-Lift.

Models I’m looking at are
- PC 7518
- Milwaukee 5625-20

I also have the Milwaukee 5625. It's been in my Norm type table with the Woodpeckers PRL lift since they were first introduced quite a few years ago. It has been an absolutely solid performer. I have milled many raised panel doors over the years and this router has handled anything I have ever put to it. It has never been used in the hand held base and likely never will.

It seems like the Porter Cable is more of the standard motor for use in a lift, but I have no experience with it. I'm sure either of those choices would serve you equally well.

Malcolm McLeod
01-30-2018, 9:55 AM
I use the 7518 in my table, it will spin anything smaller than a '67 Cadillac and the collets/wrenches interchange with my hand-held PCs.

Bill Adamsen
01-30-2018, 10:25 AM
I use the Milwaukee 5626-89 with the PoweRTek remote variable speed control in ... the Jessem Mast-R-Lift. The combination works great and has for about the two years I've had it installed. I love the remote and easily accessible speed control. The collet nuts are easily accessible from above so bit changes are easy. That combo was apparently a Jessem/Milwaukee partnership and is no longer available. But the same motor is available as the 5625.

I've recently added a DRM but I'm having issues with that ... issues not associated with either the Milwaukee or Jessem. I just haven't devoted the time to troubleshooting. Might be something as simple as reading the instructions.

I did a search for the PoweRTek controller and it appears the unit (upgraded with digital speed readout) may still be available. While expensive, it is definitely a consideration. Reading above, I see Nick already pointed that out, and that the router is built to Milwaukee specs, but might not be (likely isn't) a Milwaukee router.
https://www.jessemdirect.com/Pow_R_Tek_Router_with_Remote_Control_Box_p/05200.htm

scott spencer
01-30-2018, 11:08 AM
Both are beasts, but the MW has some topside features the PC doesn't. My MW5625 has been flawless for several years.

Jim Becker
01-30-2018, 11:27 AM
I use the PC 7518 for this, but would seriously consider the Milwaukee for this application if I were doing it again, especially knowing that Camaster uses them for their very robust CNC machines when a customer doesn't want to spring for a spindle. As Scott mentioned, the Milwaukee has some other niceties over the older PC design.

Bill Fleming
01-30-2018, 12:00 PM
I use the PC 7518 and have for 10 plus years. Have had no issues with the speed control. But like Jim says the Milwaukee would be good as well.

Nick Decker
01-30-2018, 12:31 PM
I use the PC 7518 and have for 10 plus years. Have had no issues with the speed control. But like Jim says the Milwaukee would be good as well.

That seems to be the consensus with the PCs. The older ones are fine tools, newer ones not so much.

Bill Adamsen
01-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Having the on/off (with a key) plus the remote speed control is very nice. I had been using an outlet/switch combo on a Bosch 1617 and that worked. Typically it isn't plugged in so not having a safety "key" wasn't a big issue. I upgraded when they were closing out the Jessem/Milwaukee and got what I though was a deal plus some desirable functionality. I find it annoying and potentially dangerous to reach under a table blindly to throw a power switch on the router (nevermind the variable speed) and that's for both turning it on, and off.

Bob Cooper
01-30-2018, 12:53 PM
if that router/controller combination was the Milwaukee router this would be a no brainer as that switch/speed control would be very nice to have but looking at the router and the wrenches i too am thinking that's not a Milwaukee router. Just a guess.

Bill Adamsen
01-30-2018, 12:56 PM
but looking at the router and the wrenches i too am thinking that's not a Milwaukee router. Just a guess.

Those wrenches are a dead giveaway ... the cheese factor is high. The Milwaukee wrenches are gorgeous. Why does something like a wrench matter?

Bob Cooper
01-30-2018, 1:00 PM
ok...a little more insight. I talked to Jessem and the router is one of their own design and manufactured overseas so it's not an OEM of someone elses.

Jim Becker
01-30-2018, 3:35 PM
if that router/controller combination was the Milwaukee router this would be a no brainer as that switch/speed control would be very nice to have but looking at the router and the wrenches i too am thinking that's not a Milwaukee router. Just a guess.
Before you plunk down your money on the switch with the speed control, check carefully...historically, these speed controls cannot be used with multi-speed/soft-start routers and other similar tools.

Bill Fleming
01-30-2018, 4:38 PM
Jim - exactly - being curious I went and looked at JessEm's site and it looks like they now only sell the controller with their router. The controller sold by Rockler clearly states as you say "no multi-speed/soft-start routers."

Jim Becker
01-30-2018, 5:09 PM
I don't find the speed control being on the router too much trouble as I rarely change it and then only because I'm going to use a really big cutter for a panel which only happens (historically) in about one decade increments. :) I just reach in the door and do it by feel. LOL

Bill Adamsen
01-30-2018, 6:01 PM
Before you plunk down your money on the switch with the speed control, check carefully...historically, these speed controls cannot be used with multi-speed/soft-start routers and other similar tools.

This set is designed to work together, they come as a paired unit ... they work great! Typically third party units – such as those from Rockler or Woodcraft – don't.

Wade Lippman
01-30-2018, 6:09 PM
They are all good. People will just tell you they like theirs; I like my MW, but if I had a PC I would like that.
Buy the cheaper one, the prettier one, whatever; in a few months it won't matter which you got.

Jim Becker
01-30-2018, 8:35 PM
This set is designed to work together, they come as a paired unit ... they work great! Typically third party units – such as those from Rockler or Woodcraft – don't.
Sorry, Bill...I guess I didn't catch that.

Jerry Olexa
01-30-2018, 9:03 PM
Very Happy with my Milwaukee...Excellent performance for 5 or 6 years

Dave Cav
01-30-2018, 10:19 PM
I prefer the older version of the single speed 7519 without the soft start (one in the router table and an old one on the shelf for a backup), but I rarely run anything larger than a medium rabbet cutter, and that not very often. For anything big I use the shaper.

glenn bradley
01-30-2018, 11:49 PM
I’ve been running a Mileaukee 5625 for years. All it does is work.

Bob Cooper
01-31-2018, 8:49 PM
Like jim mentioned I really don’t modify the speed unless I’m cutting raised panel doors which is only occasionally

Ordered the MW so now I should have two sets of matching wrenches

Jim Becker
01-31-2018, 9:27 PM
Those are expensive wrenches, Bob... :) :D (Congrats!)

johnny means
01-31-2018, 10:52 PM
I liked my 5625 a lot, but it had one fatal flaw. The height adjustment mechanism was plastic and it tended to slip during in table the adjustments. I also experienced a couple of bearing failures with it. This i forgive because I did run it especially hard. My PC has been unstoppable for well over a decade, though due to it's lack of under table adjustment, it never got ridden quite as hard.

Ed Edwards
02-01-2018, 3:22 AM
It's interesting if you buy the PC from Amazon, you don't get the collett that's an additional charge???
If you go to Zoro anything priced over $352.00, which this router is, has a 25% discount!!! With free shipping. BUT, the program ends today Feb. 1, 2018. So the $352.00 Milwaukee comes in at $264.00
The Porter-Cable 3-1/4 HP Router Motor Only Model #75182
$299.99 at Woodworkers Supply

for what it's worth,
Ed

Randy Heinemann
02-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Love my PC7518 in an Incra table/lift (which I think is really a Jessem lift). The router installs in the lift without problem and I have had no problems with it to date. I like that Jessem switch but doubt it would control speed on the 7518. I'll have to check on that though. It would be a big improvement to my router table.

Nick Decker
02-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Randy, the Jessem speed control/switch won't work with the PC 7518 or any other router with soft start or variable speed . In fact, I don't think Jessem even sells the switch separately. They sell a simple on/off switch but not the speed controller.

Mike Heidrick
02-01-2018, 7:41 PM
I’ve been running a Mileaukee 5625 for years. All it does is work.

Same here. 7518s do too. But honestly I have had a 618 dewalt in another lift/table and it has never flinched either.

julian abram
02-01-2018, 9:43 PM
PC 7518, no need to spend time looking any further.

Randy Heinemann
02-02-2018, 2:02 AM
Nick

Thanks for the answer. It saves me some time. I already have the Jessem ON/OFF switch installed. Just thought it would be nice to be able to control speed from the switch on those rare occasions when I think it's necessary. Hard to get at under the table and I always forget exactly where the speed control is located on my 7518.

Rich Engelhardt
02-02-2018, 3:22 AM
Another satisfied Milwaukee owner checking in.
I had a Freud 2.5HP that died and early death & got real spoiled real fast by the above table capabilities.
Since I didn't want to spend a bunch more on a lift - so I could use the PC, I went with the Milwaukee instead.

Now - just to muddy the waters some.....

Before making any final decision,,,,have a look at the big (3 Plus HP ) Triton. People that own them think extremely highly of them.
It's a plunge router - - but - - IMHO, most people use them under a table.

Curt Harms
02-02-2018, 6:01 AM
Randy, the Jessem speed control/switch won't work with the PC 7518 or any other router with soft start or variable speed . In fact, I don't think Jessem even sells the switch separately. They sell a simple on/off switch but not the speed controller.

You'd have to bypass/remove the P-C speed control module then the Jessem device would work I bet. Might be an option for someone with a 7518 with flaky speed control.

Nick Decker
02-02-2018, 6:14 AM
Nick

Thanks for the answer. It saves me some time. I already have the Jessem ON/OFF switch installed. Just thought it would be nice to be able to control speed from the switch on those rare occasions when I think it's necessary. Hard to get at under the table and I always forget exactly where the speed control is located on my 7518.

Yeah, it makes sense that adding speed control to a machine that's already speed controlled would cause problems.

In my situation, I have to bend down (a bit of a pain at my age), slide open the door on my dust cabinet and reach into a dark area for that slider and adjust it by feel. Iffy at best.

I guess if you rarely adjusted the speed it wouldn't matter much, but I tend to use a variety of sizes of roundovers and chamfer bits. Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I'd rather err on the safe side and match the speed to the cutter.