PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Irony...

Craig Day
01-29-2018, 3:30 PM
I picked up a 3HP Sawstop PCS over the weekend. I thought I would post the irony of injuring a finger (pulled a tendon) helping load a saw that's meant to save fingers. My fault for trying to improperly muscle around many hundreds of pounds, but thought it too funny not to share having injured a finger before I even got the saw home!

Chris Hachet
01-29-2018, 3:42 PM
As the owner of a 1973 Unisaw, congrats on the Saw Stop. I am thinking of going the opposite way, I am negotiating on an Oliver 270D industrial table saw.

glenn bradley
01-29-2018, 3:54 PM
That made me smile. Thanks for sharing it.

Jim Becker
01-29-2018, 5:03 PM
Yea, that really is ironic, given it was a SS...but then again, I tend to get boo-boos all over the shop/project and almost none of them are from the tools I'm using. LOL Stuff happens... ;)

Ted Derryberry
01-29-2018, 7:20 PM
I think you should sue the idiot that made a saw that heavy and then ask the gov't to force the entire saw industry to start making them out of styrofoam.

Robert Chapman
01-29-2018, 8:35 PM
Sorry about your injury, but as a SawStop owner I can assure you that your saw will not hurt you again.

Martin Wasner
01-29-2018, 9:19 PM
I'd file a lawsuit against Robert for making such claims. I can about guarantee you'll bump into it wrong at some point. :D

Simon MacGowen
01-29-2018, 9:31 PM
I think the manual recommends three persons to handle the saw. After helping me with my saw assembly, my neighbor (and his dad) quickly asked me to help him with some trimming job the next day! Quite a barter.

I know a pal who moved a PCS down to his basement with just one extra help. But at least, he beefed up the stairs beforehand. (How is he going to move it back up? I have no clues. Some say there are step or ladder(?) machines for that kind of job.)

Simon

Alan Lilly
01-29-2018, 10:33 PM
Proud to say I moved my 3HP sawstop from my garage to my basement single handedly. Not by strength, but by patience, planning and mechanical advantage. :) As an added plus, that extra time also prevented injury to my back or fingers.

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2018, 8:28 AM
I think the manual recommends three persons to handle the saw. After helping me with my saw assembly, my neighbor (and his dad) quickly asked me to help him with some trimming job the next day! Quite a barter.

I know a pal who moved a PCS down to his basement with just one extra help. But at least, he beefed up the stairs beforehand. (How is he going to move it back up? I have no clues. Some say there are step or ladder(?) machines for that kind of job.)

Simon

Piece of cake moving something that small, my shop cat Ellington and I moved a Hammer B3 into my basement one morning.

regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2018, 8:30 AM
That is funny Craig, enjoy your new saw.................Regards, Rod.

Nick Decker
01-30-2018, 8:41 AM
Rod, so where is Ellington hiding?

Rod Sheridan
01-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Rod, so where is Ellington hiding?
Unfortunately Ellington isn't in any of the photographs, however he's more of a dog than a cat, always inspecting and offering his brand of "help". Too many freshly sharpened chisels on the bench? No problem, he's happy to wing them off onto the concrete floor so he has enough room to sit on the bench while I'm working.

When I was winching the machine up the ramp to bring it in the house, he had to stick his head up through the ramp, and got caught. Fortunately it was a come-along so he wasn't injured at all, he just couldn't pull his head back out. Let it down the ramp a couple of clicks and he was out and now investigating on top of the ramp.

Here's a photo of him inspecting machine setup.

regards, Rod.

Bill Fleming
01-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Always great to watch an experienced "Rigger" at work...

Nick Decker
01-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Ellington looks almost identical to one of my former cats, named Desi (yes, I had another one named Lucy). He too, was so friendly as to have been part dog, but hated the noise of power tools and definitely wouldn't tolerate ear muffs. :)

Simon MacGowen
01-30-2018, 3:24 PM
Piece of cake moving something that small, my shop cat Ellington and I moved a Hammer B3 into my basement one morning.

regards, Rod.

I guess the handy lift is the kind of tool I heard about somewhere. It seems to work well on a straight staircase. Mine has a landing in two staircases...but my wife will never agree to me using machines like a tablesaw in the house anyway. :D

Simon

Arthur Fleming
01-31-2018, 6:41 AM
Unfortunately Ellington isn't in any of the photographs, however he's more of a dog than a cat, always inspecting and offering his brand of "help". Too many freshly sharpened chisels on the bench? No problem, he's happy to wing them off onto the concrete floor so he has enough room to sit on the bench while I'm working.

When I was winching the machine up the ramp to bring it in the house, he had to stick his head up through the ramp, and got caught. Fortunately it was a come-along so he wasn't injured at all, he just couldn't pull his head back out. Let it down the ramp a couple of clicks and he was out and now investigating on top of the ramp.

Here's a photo of him inspecting machine setup.

regards, Rod.
Every shop needs a snoopervisor.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2018, 12:27 PM
Every shop needs a snoopervisor.

Snoopervisor, I really like that Arthur, I might just quote you on that...............Rod.

Keith Hankins
01-31-2018, 3:29 PM
I picked up a 3HP Sawstop PCS over the weekend. I thought I would post the irony of injuring a finger (pulled a tendon) helping load a saw that's meant to save fingers. My fault for trying to improperly muscle around many hundreds of pounds, but thought it too funny not to share having injured a finger before I even got the saw home!

Hate that for you man, but you got a hell of a saw there and you will have years of great saw! Cheers.

Brett Luna
01-31-2018, 4:59 PM
I think the manual recommends three persons to handle the saw.

I asked two coworkers to come over to help me get it off of my truck, then onto the mobile base. It turned out that three was a crowd. I mostly stood by and watched while they did the heavy lifting.

Arthur Fleming
01-31-2018, 5:20 PM
Snoopervisor, I really like that Arthur, I might just quote you on that...............Rod.
I wish I could say I coined it, but that would be a lie. We have two, one very much a cat, the other like Ellington. I am a dog person, but they aren’t allowed where we live if they weigh more than 30 pounds.

Andrew Pitonyak
02-01-2018, 11:33 AM
I think you should sue the idiot that made a saw that heavy and then ask the gov't to force the entire saw industry to start making them out of styrofoam.

You mean carbon fiber re-enforced Styrofoam....

Andrew Pitonyak
02-01-2018, 11:37 AM
As the owner of a 1973 Unisaw, congrats on the Saw Stop. I am thinking of going the opposite way, I am negotiating on an Oliver 270D industrial table saw.

approximate weight...... 1800 pounds.

I believe it uses a 1" arbor and a 14" blade

Next post from Chris...... "I broke the cement slab in my garage today. I will fix that after my hernia surgery."

Rod Sheridan
02-05-2018, 9:26 AM
Arthur, my youngest daughter Michelle purchased a Bernese before she moved back home with us, Macbeth was a puppy at that time.

Ellington took him under his wing, and taught him everything he needed to know. Now he's more of a cat than a dog.

It's hilarious, Ellington is on medication for a hyper thyroid condition, so he's almost always hungry and will eat almost anything. Macbeth, who as a dog should eat everything, won't eat it until he sees Ellington eat it.

new kind of sandwich meat? Macbeth won't touch it until Ellington eats it first, just hilarious...........Rod.

Craig Day
02-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Hate that for you man, but you got a hell of a saw there and you will have years of great saw! Cheers.

Thanks Keith! I got it put together yesterday. The finish on the cast iron tabletop is exquisite. My buddy and I lifted it onto the mobile base (before attaching the extension wings or anything else to the saw). I'm really glad I decided to go with the ICS mobile base... couldn't be easier to roll around the shop!

Arthur Fleming
02-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Arthur, my youngest daughter Michelle purchased a Bernese before she moved back home with us, Macbeth was a puppy at that time.

Ellington took him under his wing, and taught him everything he needed to know. Now he's more of a cat than a dog.

It's hilarious, Ellington is on medication for a hyper thyroid condition, so he's almost always hungry and will eat almost anything. Macbeth, who as a dog should eat everything, won't eat it until he sees Ellington eat it.

new kind of sandwich meat? Macbeth won't touch it until Ellington eats it first, just hilarious...........Rod.
378330 It’s great they get along, our cats eat like dogs (as in always), As a kid we always had dogs, mostly German Shepherd mixes. There is just a nice warm fuzzy feeling when you walk through the door, and the dog/cat is there to greet you, and their day has been made just by you being there.