PDA

View Full Version : Microplanes?

Joe Pack
11-09-2005, 10:14 PM
I am trying to complete a harp kit for a Christmas present. I need to fit a 3/4" thick piece of walnut to join the curved arm to the top of the base. The plan calls for doweling/gluing the pieces together, then trimming the excess flush. I know the final "fitting" will be with sandpaper, but I am not sure about getting rid of the bulk of the excess first.

Looking through my Hartville Tool catalog, I came across a set of microplanes (coarse and fine). They look like they would be the thing to help pare the excess before sanding, but, never having used these, I am looking for your suggestions. I want to minimize damage to the arm and base, as they are all but ready to finish. Are microplanes a reasonable tool to use for this? Do you have a better suggestion to pare edge grain without messing up the finished surface surrounding it?

Rick Whitehead
11-09-2005, 11:37 PM
I can't quite visualize what you are trying to do, but I can say that Microplanes really do work. You can use them to remove a lot of wood, or take just a little off.
I don't think you'll go wrong buying a microplane, but you may not need the set. I'd get the flat one, as it has a rounded edge.
Alternatively, you could remove the excess wood with a good, sharp chisel.
Hope this helps.
Rick

Mark Singer
11-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I would use a pattern makers rasp...#49 or #50

Tim Sproul
11-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I like microplanes....but they're not the easiest option for fine controlled removal of stock.

Bob Johnson2
11-10-2005, 3:15 PM
I can't visuallize what your working on either but for working the stems on canoes (3/4" ash) I've been using a combination of a spokeshave and rasps. I tried a microplane and went back to the rasps.