PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Water Heater Timer : Location:

Clarence Martinn
01-29-2018, 10:55 AM
Getting that EH40 Electronic Water Heater Timer. From what I have seen , most of the time, it is installed near the water heater or near the Circuit Breaker Box. Electric Water Heater is in the Basement. Arthritis is getting pretty bad. Don't really like to climb stairs , if I don't have to. Can that water Heater Timer be installed on the wall at the top of the stairs that go down to the Basement ? It would me from going up and down those stairs, if that timer were attached somehow to the wall at the top of the stairs

Jim Becker
01-29-2018, 11:49 AM
If it's like the water heater timer I had years ago, it has to insert in the circuit between the breaker and the heater. To mount it at the top of your stairs, it would mean extending the circuit "up there" and then back to the heater. That might be impractical given the cost of installing all that wire, etc. How often do you feel that you're going to need to actually access the timer?

David L Morse
01-29-2018, 12:04 PM
This one (https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Controller-Anywhere-Automation-Smartphones/dp/B00O3UBOMG) is controlled with your phone - no need to have physical access to it.

Wade Lippman
01-30-2018, 9:30 PM
You could put the timer at the top of the stairs and connect it to a relay at the heater.
Extending the heater circuit has to be a bad idea.