PDA

View Full Version : New fireplace surround

roger wiegand
01-29-2018, 8:35 AM
The fireplace in our music room has been sitting with ragged plaster, inappropriate brickwork, and no mantle since we "completed" remodeling four years ago. I finally got to building a new surround which is more compatible with the English Arts and Crafts theme we've tried to set with the house.

Here's where I started:

I did a skimcoat of thinset over the brick and then set some handmade tile DW had acquired for the purpose:

Side cases were frame and panel cherry with birdseye maple, made to match the rest of the trimwork I've done in the house:

The most challenging part was doing an inlay in the mantle board above the firebox. We chose a design from Harvey Ellis, a designer who worked with Stickley. Inlays were cut from 1/16" thick veneers using either a jewelry saw and birdsmouth, or by setting up my Stewart-Macdonald Foredom tool micro-router upside down and using it to cut the pieces freehand. I made multiple copied of the pattern, glued it to the veneer to be cut as a pattern and another copy to the board that was being inlaid. I used a knive to cut through the pattern to make a sharp line I could cut to, as the paper fuzzed up while cutting, making it impossible to see the edge. I tried to cut to the inside of the line on the veneer and the outside of the line on the routed cavity, not always with perfect success :D. The inlays are bloodwood, wenge, maple, and yellowheart.

377736 377737

Once they were glued in I planed the board down smooth and finished the installation.

377738 377739 377740

Nice to have that one ticked off the to-do list! It is far from perfect, were I to do more things like this I would invest in templates for cutting the inlays. Doing them freehand captures every little bobble. I talked to a guy about laser cutting them but was told it couldn't be done with 1/16" thick veneers. I'm not convinced that's true. Next up is installation of a round window that's going to require bending a circular cherry frame. Should be interesting.

Al Launier
01-29-2018, 8:48 AM
Nicely done! Well planned & executed.

George Bokros
01-29-2018, 9:06 AM
Very nice. Well thought out and executed.

Jim Becker
01-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Truly beautiful, Roger!

Yonak Hawkins
01-29-2018, 10:24 AM
What a nice improvement, roger. It looks great !

Mel Fulks
01-29-2018, 10:24 AM
It's nice and inviting, good inlay design and work. I'm thinking the art needs to be a little higher.

Phil Mueller
01-31-2018, 7:58 PM
Wow, nicely done. Believe it or not, I can’t see a single flaw! Beautiful improvement.

Patrick McCarthy
01-31-2018, 9:19 PM
Oh my, that is very, very nicely done. Patrick

roger wiegand
02-01-2018, 9:26 AM
Thanks all!

The most intimidating aspect of this was setting the handmade tiles, which were of uneven thickness and not all quite square. After getting a quote of $1800 from a pro I decided it was worth trying it myself. It turned out to not be nearly as hard in practice as I imagined it might be. We laid out the tiles on the floor and rearranged them until we had a distribution of color variations that we found pleasing.

Once into the project, and after the side cases were built, I found out that the floor was sloped, and the fireplace was level, but almost a half inch taller on one side than the other (oops!!). I found a couple of places to fudge an eighth inch up and down on each side to make it look the same on each side. The wall also has a 3/4" wave in it, but I figured that out in advance and made the cases to fit the wall and give me even reveals for the horizontal boards.