PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find a way

John Terefenko
01-27-2018, 3:43 PM
I have a small project I am working on. The top has a couple of rounded outside edges and a rounded inside edge. I want to duplicate the same shapes but 1" from the outside edge. I want to cut the center out but the remaining piece needs to be equal all around. I want to place plexiglass in the center. I can figure the obvious section of straight cuts but the curves are not coming out even and it will show. I can easily cut the inside out with a scrollsaw. That is not the problem. What I am looking for either a factory made contour guide or a handmade one. I hope I am explaining what I want to do plain enough.

I thought I saw one time a jig that can do this and it had 2 points so that as you trace around the curves those 2 points need to touch the wood at all times but a center point that holds the pencil will travel in the same plane at all times. Not sure what that tool is called but again looking for help and maybe a link to a tool or a photo of one made. The project is 6" X8" so it is not a large top for a box. Thanks in advance.

Ted Derryberry
01-27-2018, 3:53 PM
A round disc with a diameter twice the distance of the offset with a pencil hole in the middle. Voila!

John Terefenko
01-28-2018, 12:19 AM
A round disc with a diameter twice the distance of the offset with a pencil hole in the middle. Voila!

You might be onto something. I maybe able to improve this idea and make it work. Thanks.

John Terefenko
01-28-2018, 11:12 PM

Worked great. That was the ticket thank you. Need to put that in the tricks of the trade thread.