PDA

View Full Version : General 330 planer

André Legris
01-27-2018, 3:22 PM
I was searching the net when I came across this forum and found a post by Mike Delyster from Buck Lake Alberta in 2012. He had most of the General 330 taken apart. My problem is the 1 inch flat belt that energizes the feed rollers (original belt made by Habasit in Switzerland model S140). The manual specifies a 1 inch by 75 1/2 flat endless belt). Mine seems to be so worn that it no longer activates the drive. The post from Mike showed a picture of the belt (of a different make) but I can't make out the full number printed on nor can I see a make. I've contacted a local belt and bearing retailer in my area but he's been unable to find a replacement or an equivalent. Any feedback would be much appreciated and if anyone could put me in contact with Mike or anyone else with a 330 it would be super! My email:

David Kumm
01-27-2018, 4:18 PM
There is a thread about restoring a 330 over at canadianwoodworking.com. I've bought custom belts from Wm Sopko and Sons. Cleveland if I remember right. Dave

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2018, 6:00 PM
I've asked Mike D to respond to your post................Regards, Rod.

André Legris
01-28-2018, 8:20 AM
Thanks. The canadianwoodworking post is the same that I found on this forum. Sopko does supply flat belts in the US but i'll look here in Canada first.

André Legris
01-28-2018, 8:21 AM
Thanks, much appreciated!

Mike Delyster
01-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Hello Andr’e,

I ended up using a flat multi-v-belt like they use on vehicles. It’s been working perfectly for a couple of years now.
You just need to give your supplier the length and width and they should be able to cross reference the belt. If I remember correctly the flat pulleys on the 330 are wider than one inch, so as long as the belt is narrower than that it should work.

If I remember correctly the belt I used is for a Toyota car and is a little less than one inch wide. I will see if I can find a part number later today.

There are lots of General 330 owners over on the CanadianWoodworking Forum. One member currently has a rebuild thread going. I did a long thread about my restoration a few years ago with lots of pictures over there.

André Legris
01-28-2018, 11:25 AM
Thanks Mike

I reviewed your restoration and that is where I found a picture of the belt side of the planer but I could only partially make out the part number, 25-71... the three last numbers I can't read. I'm also having problems with the raising and lowering of the table. I will post photos of the bearings which seem strange to me.

Mike Delyster
01-28-2018, 11:55 AM
I found a better picture of the belt and it is a NAPA 25-71956. Which is 77-/2" long OD and 0.84" wide.

André Legris
01-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Thanks. The manual specifies 75 1/2 x 1 inch but 2 inches longer should't make that much difference.

Mike Delyster
01-28-2018, 1:39 PM
Thanks. The manual specifies 75 1/2 x 1 inch but 2 inches longer should't make that much difference.

I tried one that was closer to 75-1/2” long but found it wouldn’t release enough to stop the feed rollers. I returned that one and this was the next size longer that they had in stock.
General could have changed the pulleys through the years, I don’t know. You might want to measure your old belt or measure around the pulleys.