PDA

View Full Version : Only Half the Blue Moon Story

Jim Koepke
01-27-2018, 2:42 AM
No body is telling the whole story on this month's super moon and super blue moon with an eclipse.

Another way to say it might be nobody is talking about what everybody is talking about?

January with the moon in perigee had a full moon on the 2nd and will have another on the 31st. This means February will not have a full moon. Then when March rolls around there will again be two full moons in one month.

Out of curiosity my wife was asked what do you call it when a month has two new moons. She said, "dark."

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
01-27-2018, 9:56 AM
Close- it's actually called a black moon when there are two new moons in one month. Interesting to have a blue moon, black moon, blue moon, and blood moon all in a row along with a super moon.

Bill Orbine
01-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Close- it's actually called a black moon when there are two new moons in one month. Interesting to have a blue moon, black moon, blue moon, and blood moon all in a row along with a super moon.
I don't understand......February has only ONE new moon on the 15th this year.

Black moon seem to show two meanings: Two new moons in a month -OR- no full moons in a month. There will be no full moons in February this year.

Mel Fulks
01-27-2018, 12:09 PM
A full moon shining on a noon mark or real , not just decorative, sundial will not be more than 16 minutes off from clock time. It's a delightful thing to see.

Jim Koepke
01-27-2018, 1:26 PM

Black moon seem to show two meanings: Two new moons in a month -OR- no full moons in a month. There will be no full moons in February this year.

Yes, only one new moon in February. Since the moon's cycle is 29-1/2 days February doesn't have enough days to have a blue moon or two new moons.

jtk

Perry Hilbert Jr
01-27-2018, 2:07 PM
full moon here in winter generally brings snow and babies in the barn. Cows sheep and goats all seem to coincide closely with the phases of the moon for when they give birth. Got a cow that gives birth every June and always within a day of full moon. On the rare occasions that we have a clear night at full moon, I often take a hike through the woods. The moon light is brighter and I can to make my way through the woods and fields. Rabbits also see to have a special deal with the moon phases. They seem far more active at full moon.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-28-2018, 1:12 AM

I must have misread the post- you're right. Only one new moon and no full moon in February.

Myk Rian
01-29-2018, 9:04 PM
No full moon is good for astronomy. Feb. should be a good month, unless it's cloudy. :(

Shawn Pixley
01-31-2018, 10:05 AM
The eclipse was great this morning here. Clear and blood red in the sky. The moon just set as the sun rose.

Jim Koepke
01-31-2018, 11:38 AM
Too much cloud cover to see it up here.

It was noticeable how bright it started out and how dark it was at ~5:00a when I woke up.

jtk

Bill Orbine
03-30-2018, 10:18 PM
Saturday, March 31, 2018 will have the second blue moon of the year. There will not be another until Halloween night in 2020. Enjoy!