PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Burl

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 6:13 PM
I meant to post this picture a week ago, but I have been, umm...running around like a head with my chicken cut off for a variety of reasons revolving around a couple of little girls. Allen Darrow, a friend of mine from Iowa who grew up in this very area, was visiting relatives in western PA and while driving down the road, this tiny Willow burl caught his eye. Fortunately, the brakes on his truck worked... The plan was to find a way to get it moved and cut up...I don't know if that actually happened, but you could make a hollow-form cottage out of that sucker if you could find or make a lathe big enough! :D Drool on, folks...drool on...and yes, that is Allen modeling in front of that tiny thing... ;)

Karl Laustrup
11-09-2005, 6:40 PM
Come on now Jim, that wasn't really a tree was it? ;)

Looks like it spent most of its time growing burls instead of leaves.

Karl

John Shuk
11-09-2005, 7:07 PM
Oy Vey! Since its willow once it dries you should be able to just pick that thing up no problem! What a monster.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-09-2005, 8:07 PM
All I want to know is...................................Where did you get THE "LITTLE PERSON?":confused:

Guess we'll have to put up with " I've got a little burl to sell.":eek:

Just kiddin'....................Great stuff.

Bruce

BTW..................I'll be in Philly in late May or early June.

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 9:37 PM
BTW..................I'll be in Philly in late May or early June.

I'm always near Philly...except when I'm not... Let me know and perhaps we can hook up, assuming I actually survive the first seven months of parenthood, that is...

Jim Becker
11-09-2005, 9:39 PM
Looks like it spent most of its time growing burls instead of leaves.
It would be lovely to be able to figure out how to make that happen on a few trees on my property!

And John...I concur with the "Oy Veh" My thoughts exactly when I first saw the picture after the less explicit description on my Verizon Home Voice Mail.

Andy Hoyt
11-09-2005, 9:41 PM
...I don't know if that actually happened, but you could make a hollow-form cottage out of that sucker if you could find or make a lathe big enough!

Here ya go!

John Miliunas
11-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey Jim, just a tad too big for your Stubby, ain't it?:D :rolleyes: That's just got to be THE largest burl I ever laid eyes on!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
12-10-2005, 7:52 PM
Just an update...Allen called me today and said he just completed cutting this tiny thing up and filling his truck with "burl parts" to take back to Iowa. With any luck...Santa Claus will bring me a piece or three to play with. Someday, at least... ;)

Karl Laustrup
12-11-2005, 7:32 AM
Just an update...Allen called me today and said he just completed cutting this tiny thing up and filling his truck with "burl parts" to take back to Iowa. With any luck...Santa Claus will bring me a piece or three to play with. Someday, at least... ;)

By the dates on the posts, am I to assume that Allen has spent the last month cutting that humungos thing into pieces that can be hauled away? And I guess he has a tractor/trailer to haul it all?

And you didn't go out and help? Ooops. Almost forgot you're free time has happily been canceled for the next few years. :) Hope you do get a chunk or three to play with, Jim. :D

Karl

Jim Becker
12-11-2005, 5:15 PM
Karl, that would be between a 4 and 5 hour drive one way to get where that burl was. No, he didn't take the last month to cut...he lives in Iowa and the burl is in PA. He had to wait until he returned east for Thanksgiving at his son's place to deal with the burl. Fortunately, it was still there...