PDA

View Full Version : Best table saw fence

Merrill Herring
01-26-2018, 10:51 AM
Would like input on what everyone thinks is now the best table saw fence out there. I want to use it on a table saw that has an extension table for cut up to 50 inches. Years ago it was Biesmeyer but this system does not even get on the top 5 when I google it, and those who have purchased one recently say it is not as good as it used to be.

scott spencer
01-26-2018, 10:59 AM
For ultra precision and repeatability, it's tough to beat the Incra system. For ease of use, durability, and good daily use precision, a good Biese clone would be the way to go IMO (HTC, PM Accufence, Jet Xacta, Saw Stop T-Glide, Shop Fox Classic, etc). I also like the Vega. There are pros and cons with each, so it's really a personal decision based on your needs.

Rod Sheridan
01-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Hi Merrill, I would look for one of the multi-function fences that can do high/low and short/long like a Euro fence.

They increase your safety and the capability of the saw by providing correct positioning and support for all work operations.

Regards, Rod.

Kyle Iwamoto
What did the Google search you did say was the top fence?

Martin Wasner
Depends on what your needs are. The pin type like on old saws I think is the best, but they are a pain to use. They won't deflect with a power feeder, and they won't move if you bump it. Short of welding it to the deck, it's about as solid a fence as you can get.

For a regular T lock type fence, I would likely buy a fence and rails from SawStop right now. They've got a pretty nice setup. The powermatic fences are good too, but I really don't like the UHMW faces they put on them. I prefer laminate faces as I think they are more slippery, and actually wear better.

Merrill Herring
01-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Sharpen up web site and the Delta 36-T30 T2 was number 1, Shop Fox W1716, Vega Pro 50, Craftsman and Bosch.

andy bessette
01-26-2018, 11:30 AM
My Biesmeyer and Unifence are perfectly suited to the work I do. Couldn't ask for better.

Peter Kelly
01-26-2018, 12:19 PM
As new t-square type fences go, I'd recommend the Vega Pro ones. Added one recently to my cabinet saw and like it a lot so far.

Matt Day
01-26-2018, 12:26 PM
You’ve got a lot to learn if you’re going by that Sharpen Up website. Looks to be amazon marketing, and the article is lot of mumbo jumbo.

Andrew Hughes
01-26-2018, 12:30 PM
I think the best saw fence is one that's flat.
It should also be very stiff and square to the table along its length.
These are the attributes of saw fence on my Davis and wells saw so I guess I have the best saw fence.:)

Bryan Lisowski
01-26-2018, 12:38 PM
I have the Vega and like it. If I was to replace, I would go with the VSCT fence.

Jon Nuckles
01-26-2018, 1:55 PM
I have the SawStop fence on my PCS. I like it, with one quibble. You cannot snug the fence up to a piece that is against the blade and lock the fence down to set it to the width of the piece. The far end of the fence "lags" behind the end at the rail, so it is slightly skewed out until you lock it down. When you lock it down, it pivots closer to the blade. (It does the reverse when you move the fence away from the blade and then lock it.) This is not a problem when you are using the scale on the rail, which is very accurate and consistent. I just miss having the ability to set the fence from an existing piece without having to guess how much it is going to pivot. Now I usually measure the piece and set the fence from the scale. Like everything else involving measurements, there is a risk of small errors. Other than this flaw, it is an excellent fence IMO.

Ben Rivel
01-26-2018, 2:31 PM
I love the fence on my Sawstop PCS, but I have thought about replacing it with the VSCT aluminum extrusion fence. That seems to me like it would be the best option out there if not going with the SawStop Biesmeyer style.

Cary Falk
01-26-2018, 2:38 PM
Jon,
That deflection can be dialed down by moving the 2 pads that ride on the back of the front rail closer to the rail. These are the 2 setscrews that you use to use for the fence alignment. I assume the SawStop fence adjusts the same way. Adjust them too close to the rail and the fence won't slide very well unlocked.

Merrill
The fence is a personal. I like a Biesemeyer clone. The old Biesemeyer was made from steel. The new ones are made from Aluminum and probably the reason of the not so stellar reviews. Incra is a good fence but takes up too much space for me. I heard the Vega fence is great. The T2 is nice but not as strong as a Biesemeyer clone. I have a Shop Fox classic and like it. I don't know what the model number is but the fence on the G0690 table saw sure glides nice and doesn't have the issues that Jon has. I have often thought of welding up a version of the very super cool tools fence with an attachment similar to a Unifence but haven't got around to it. There are a lot of good choices.

Lee Schierer
01-26-2018, 2:52 PM
I upgraded to a Beismeyer fence many years ago and it still locks down perpendicular every time. The Delta 36-T30 T2 looks remarkably like the Beismeyer original fence.

Darcy Warner
01-26-2018, 3:31 PM
Depends on what your needs are. The pin type like on old saws I think is the best, but they are a pain to use. They won't deflect with a power feeder, and they won't move if you bump it. Short of welding it to the deck, it's about as solid a fence as you can get.

For a regular T lock type fence, I would likely buy a fence and rails from SawStop right now. They've got a pretty nice setup. The powermatic fences are good too, but I really don't like the UHMW faces they put on them. I prefer laminate faces as I think they are more slippery, and actually wear better.

The old school pinned rack and pinion fences are my favorite, followed by the 70s era Martin fences.

lowell holmes
01-26-2018, 4:06 PM
My 20 year old Delta aluminum fence is great. IMO, a fence is a fence. I never thought about it.

Frank Pratt
01-26-2018, 4:42 PM
I have the SawStop fence on my PCS. I like it, with one quibble. You cannot snug the fence up to a piece that is against the blade and lock the fence down to set it to the width of the piece. The far end of the fence "lags" behind the end at the rail, so it is slightly skewed out until you lock it down. When you lock it down, it pivots closer to the blade. (It does the reverse when you move the fence away from the blade and then lock it.) This is not a problem when you are using the scale on the rail, which is very accurate and consistent. I just miss having the ability to set the fence from an existing piece without having to guess how much it is going to pivot. Now I usually measure the piece and set the fence from the scale. Like everything else involving measurements, there is a risk of small errors. Other than this flaw, it is an excellent fence IMO.

Jon, try a little different technique. When you've got the fence nearly where you want it. move the locking handle down so it is partially engaged. That will square the fence up but it can still be nudged into the final position. Then fully lock it. I had the same issue when I first got a Bies. I now have a SawStop & it's about the same fence.

Mike Cutler
01-26-2018, 5:24 PM
Haven't needed to buy a fence in a long time, but if I needed one I'd probably be looking at used in this order;

Incra
HTC
Excalibur
Beismeyer.

I was always looking for my fences to be pieces of junk, so I could justify an Incra system, but the Xacta fence that came with my jet 20+ years ago, and the stock fence that came with my General have been fine.
I have an original Excalibur 50" fence system in standby, if I ever need to change one of my fences.

Merrill Herring
01-26-2018, 5:30 PM
This was just one web site that had a top 5, like I said years ago the Biesmeyer was the best now I do not see it in any sites even in the top 10.

tom lucas
01-26-2018, 5:50 PM
I like my shop fox bies clone. But these look pretty nice as an aftermarket add-on:https://vsctools.com/shop/product-category/table-saw-fence/

There are several good ones and many not so good. It is a personal preference. The Incras are super accurate and have a lot of extra features. I just think they are too big and cumbersome unless you have a big shop where the table saw can accommodate it.

Jim Becker
01-26-2018, 7:14 PM
For an American designed fence, for me it would be a UniFence if one can be found in decent condition. (they are no longer made) The high/low fence combined with the ability to reposition it's end relative to the blade is very desirable to me. My Euro slider's fence is setup that way and I'm so happy to be back to that format...the cabinet saw I had previously had a Biesmeyer style fence it I found it confining, albeit easier to make and use fence-mounted jigs. (which I don't miss at all)

Jim Becker
01-26-2018, 7:26 PM
This was just one web site that had a top 5, like I said years ago the Biesmeyer was the best now I do not see it in any sites even in the top 10.
"Back in the day" when Biesmeyer was its own company, they made a superior quality product. Once they were acquired by Delta, over time, things went typical "mass market"...not terrible, mind you, but clearly less focus on being the best. (IMHO) And since then, even Delta has gone through additional changes/sales, etc. 'Not hard to figure out what happened there. ;) As a separate company, Biesmeyer was selling to "everyone", but once captive with Delta, other saw brands started building their own similar "tee-square" fences and selling them with their machines.

Frederick Skelly
01-26-2018, 7:33 PM
Another vote for Biesemeyer here.

Glen Gunderson
01-26-2018, 7:44 PM

Don't necessarily get caught up in the name Biesemeyer. Years ago they were the only ones to make that style of fence, but since the patent has run out there are many options that use the same design. In fact 2 of the 5 fences in that article you're talking about (Delta and Shop Fox) are essentially clones of the Biesemeyer.

Pat Rice
01-26-2018, 9:56 PM
Everyone has their favorite, for the last 18yrs mine has been the Incra fence, I love the repeatability of this fence and the precision. Last year I upgraded to a Sawstop ICS saw which I was able to order without the fence and order a new Incra fence which I am very satisfied with.

Bill Sutherland
01-27-2018, 8:16 PM
+1 more for the Incra set up. I have one on my Sawstop PCS along with the Jessem stock guides and it's fantastic. As Pat says the repeatability and precision are unmatched and the stock guides are a great addition.