View Full Version : Wood glue on cast iron table saw top

Eric C Stoltzfus
01-26-2018, 8:09 AM
I spilled some wood glue on my cast iron table saw top during a glue up. It's Titebond II. How do I get it off?

BTW, this is my first post. I am a 13 year old hobby woodworker from Bedford, PA. I've been a serious woodworker for about a year, but I have been doing simple building for a long time.

Steve Lansing
01-26-2018, 8:16 AM
Let it dry completely and then it should chip off easily.

roger wiegand
01-26-2018, 8:24 AM
get one of these to scape it off

Terry Beadle
01-26-2018, 8:26 AM
Hello !

I think Mr. Lansing is right on the money....but I would also apply some Johnson's paste wax on the entire
saw surface after the glue clean up. That will protect the surface better the next time the glue decides to
make a run for it... Also you'll be pleased at the reduction of resistance after the polish is applied. The board
that's being cut will slide through the cut easily. Be sure to use spring clamps on the top and off cut side so that
the odds of a cut back will be very small. Safety first please.

Enjoy the shavings!

Prashun Patel
01-26-2018, 8:35 AM
You will probably end up with a little rust spot under the glue after you pop it off.

You can use fine steel wool and a little bit of mineral spirits (these are 2 things that are great to have on hand for a million reasons!) to remove the rust.

Cary Falk
01-26-2018, 8:42 AM
You will end up with a rust spot and then a stain. I would get it off now with dry paper towels. When the majority the glue is gone and it starts to get gummy then you can go with the razor blade scraper. Make sure all the glue is gone. Clean the table with mineral spirits and then follow with paste wax.

michael langman
01-26-2018, 10:35 AM
I got the same glue on my cast iron tablesaw top and it stained the heck out of it.

Ted Derryberry
01-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Next project: assembly table.

Lee Schierer
01-26-2018, 1:54 PM
I spilled some wood glue on my cast iron table saw top during a glue up. It's Titebond II. How do I get it off?

BTW, this is my first post. I am a 13 year old hobby woodworker from Bedford, PA. I've been a serious woodworker for about a year, but I have been doing simple building for a long time.

Welcome to the creek, we look forward to your posts and seeing your projects.

As others have said scrape the glue off as soon as possible. Use a good paste wax such as Johnson's Paste Floor wax on your cast iron surfaces.
Do not use any automotive car waxes as most contain water and silicone which will do damage to your cast iron and to your wood projects.

Bill Adamsen
01-26-2018, 4:32 PM
Almost all the Titebond are extremely acidic. This explains why they have such a negative impact on tool surfaces and also clamps. TBII for instance has a pH of 3.0 ... which is exceptionally acidic. If you glue up with TBII and wipe the glue with your thumb, you will likely be typing in your iPhone password for the next week or so.

Fortunately they remove easily with a razor blade, and if cleaned thoroughly the surface shouldn't oxidize too badly.

Jim Becker
01-26-2018, 7:16 PM
Acetone will clean up any Titebond that you can't physically scrape off. Wear a respirator when you use it, however.

Ted Derryberry
01-26-2018, 8:52 PM
Well that takes all the fun out of it.

Jim Becker
01-26-2018, 10:16 PM
Well that takes all the fun out of it.
Yea...I agree. Yesterday, I had to use the stuff to carefully remove an appliqué from a project with minimal damage (TB-III unfortunately) and wearing that mask for a couple hours wasn't much fun at all, especially when I got thirsty for the nice ice tea sitting a few feet away. But it's better than dying... ;)

Bob Leistner
01-27-2018, 12:05 AM
You make a good point, Mr. Becker. Dying would keep you from finishing your project......

Wayne Cannon
01-28-2018, 4:25 AM
I use Empire brand "Top Saver" to remove rust spots. Just apply with a synthetic scrubbing pad. A really bad rust spot (try rat pee!) leaves only a slight darkening of the steel. Most clean up so you won't even notice.

Roger Marty
01-28-2018, 7:33 AM
Almost all the Titebond are extremely acidic. This explains why they have such a negative impact on tool surfaces and also clamps. TBII for instance has a pH of 3.0 ... which is exceptionally acidic. If you glue up with TBII and wipe the glue with your thumb, you will likely be typing in your iPhone password for the next week or so.

Fortunately they remove easily with a razor blade, and if cleaned thoroughly the surface shouldn't oxidize too badly.

I get titebond all over my fingers when I do glue-ups. I kind of enjoy peeling off the dried up glue from fingers

Cary Falk
01-28-2018, 9:35 AM
I get titebond all over my fingers when I do glue-ups. I kind of enjoy peeling off the dried up glue from fingers

I think he meant that the acidic nature of TBII will eat/alter your fingerprint thus making it unrecognizable to a thumb print reader.

Wes Ramsey
02-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Next project: assembly table.

Well, it IS a table before it is a saw...

Eric C Stoltzfus
02-02-2018, 7:48 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I got the glue all scraped off. The steel wool and mineral spirits worked quite well for taking off the rust stains. I can also tell a difference with the paste wax.