PDA

View Full Version : Weird warping when cross cutting

Brian Free
01-26-2018, 12:04 AM
We are working with FSC white oak that is 2”. We are cross cutting table blanks on our slide saw which has never been an issue before. All of the sudden when cutting the fall off is wanting to pinch the blade which is making it almost impossible to push it though the blade. We have the correct riving knife set and have used multiple sizes of blades. I can see this being an issue when ripping the tables but never when cross cutting. The table edge is perfectly square but the fall off has a big bow in it. Any thoughts? I have photos but do not know how to post them using my phone.

Thanks,

Brian

Steve Lansing
01-26-2018, 12:16 AM
2” x what? Are these glued table tops?

Steve Lansing
01-26-2018, 12:22 AM
There can be stress in those glue ups especially production made, when you make your cut some stress is released.

Wayne Lomman
01-26-2018, 6:53 AM
Check your moisture content. If that is OK, either dock the ends in a couple of runs so that the offcut is narrow enough not to bind or knock a wedge in the cut to keep it apart. Sawmill operators have to do this all the time. Keep an eye on how the tops behave over the next few days. I wouldn't be trusting them to do as they are told just yet. Cheers

J.R. Rutter
01-26-2018, 3:17 PM
End grain gains and loses moisture a lot faster than the rest of the wood. So when you trim it off, it is likely to bow into the blade (end grain wetter) or bow away from the blade (end grain drier).