PDA

View Full Version : Commission Project - wall to wall bookshelves

Dan Gill
11-09-2005, 5:41 PM
Here are pics of the hanging oak bookshelves I made for a neighbor. I made them in five sections, with outside two on each side joined together. I felt like 50 inches was too great a span for the moveable shelves, so had to break that up. They're attached with a full-length French cleat and with a mounting strip underneath the unit. The center section is 45 inches by 37 inches, and the outside sections are 39 inches by 50 inches.

I had to make the moldings to look like an armoire-style computer desk they have in the same room. The top molding isn't exactly like the other, but certainly close enough. I made a jig to do the semi-dentil molding.

Finish is Minwax golden pecan, followed by English chestnut, topped off by amber shellac. Being colorblind, I specified in the agreement that the clients would pick the stain. They tried just about everything, but it was the amber shellac on top of the two stains that finally made it look like the other piece.

Nothing fancy here, but they like it. I should have asked for more, especially considering all the finishing it took. In fact, I'm still fixing blemishes in a couple of shelves.

Steve Clardy
11-09-2005, 6:02 PM
First reply went into cyberspace I guess.

Looks nice Dan!!!

Gail O'Rourke
11-09-2005, 6:52 PM
Hi Dan, I remember you talking about this project and I really like it. I like that the middle piece is bigger and the trim is great. I like the finish and you did a great job.

Richard Wolf
11-09-2005, 7:35 PM
Great job Dan.

Richard