PDA

View Full Version : Simple sawstop question - miter

Bob Cooper
01-24-2018, 9:58 PM
If I want to tilt the blade to 45 degrees do I need a different insert than the stock one?

Jay Aubuchon
01-24-2018, 10:05 PM
No, you do not. I have done this plenty of times. You might want to rotate the blade by hand after tilting, just to make sure that nothing is odd about yours.

Lee Schierer
01-24-2018, 10:06 PM
If it is a zero clearance type then yes you definitely do need to a different insert. If there is 1/4" or more clearance on each side of the blade then you probably don't. I do not know what comes standard with a sawstop.

Jay Aubuchon
01-24-2018, 10:08 PM
Unless things have changed, the stock insert is not zero clearance.

Johnny Barr
01-24-2018, 11:39 PM
I do bevels all the time and the stock ZCI is fine but I have made a bevel crosscut sled as part of my box making which does give me zero clearance. The stock insert works well for bevel rips.377409

Bob Cooper
01-24-2018, 11:57 PM
hmmm...well the reason i asked is because i angled the blade to 45 and the blade felt like it was just barely rubbing. Fine, i'll let the blade trim the insert but it wouldn't power up. So i looked and the red light was on -- sorry i should have paid more attention and noticed the pattern but maybe red on, green blinking. so i straightened the blade up and all green at which point i did a quick post here from my iphone.

i can experiment a little more tomorrow to see what triggers the failure condition. I can also shoot you a picture of the insert.

The saw is an ICS

Tim M Tuttle
01-25-2018, 12:02 AM
Unless things have changed, the stock insert is not zero clearance.
I got a SawStop contractor saw last year and the insert was a zci.

Bob Cooper
01-25-2018, 12:06 AM
Well...never mind. I just went back out to the shop and watched the led as I tilted the blade and all worked fine

Bob Cooper
01-27-2018, 11:15 AM
Lol. Well I think I figured it out. It errored out when I put my tilt box on the blade to check it for 45. So this time I turned to saw off, got the blade to the right angle and turn it on. No issues. Helps to look at the manual to decipher the error codes.