PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Find

Scott Coffelt
11-09-2005, 5:02 PM
I love it when you are at your favorite lumber yard buying something else and a board calls to you. I was picking out a piece of cherry last week for a project. I decided to take a quick run by the maple. Well in the light I saw some nice reflections and thought to myself, those don't look like the typical wavy lines of a bad planner cut. After closer inspection, holding up to the light... yes it was... curly maple mixed in with them generic maple boards. I couldn't let it go, cause for a mere $5 a bd foot it was too pretty for some other unknown fool to waste. I slapped it on the cart and away I went merely. So I have a nice 5bdft board added to the stack. Sorry pic police, no pics as of yet. Maybe if I find the time this week. The thing I liked most about it was the consistent tiger lines through out.

Anyways, don't you just love those little surprises in life? Now to find cherry for less than $7+ a bdft in KC.

Roy Wall
11-09-2005, 7:22 PM
Scott,

Schutte lumber for me!

Keith Christopher
11-09-2005, 9:17 PM
Heck I'd just like to find some 10-11" tiger maple. I'd even settle for 8/4 I could resaw. I'm having a heck of a time trying to match this figure for the sides of the shtender I'm making. le sigh. Perhaps AB bleach and some honey stain.

Tom Sontag
11-10-2005, 1:00 PM
Now to find cherry for less than $7+ a bdft in KC.

I know where you can find $4 cherry in St. Louis. :D

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2005, 1:26 PM
Scott,

Schutte lumber for me!

That's where I found it. Took off last Friday afternoon to spend some time browsing the selections. I heard a rumour that Paxtons's closed, but totally unsubstantiated at this point. I would hate for that to happen as i do buy from them time to time. Usually just too long of a trip for me (60 minutes round trip).

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2005, 1:30 PM
Try finding Tiger maple hear in KC, not very easy. There was a place who would get some in from time to time, but they folded under. It seemed to me that the Eats coast always had it available, I have been jealous.

Then again, if my memory serves me right, the tiger effect happens in 1% of the trees, thus it is consider rare. Who knows, I just know when you find a jewel like I did, you jump on it even if no projects planned.

I searched high and low for some 8/4 T. Maple a year or so ago, I did find some but it was like $13/bdft IIRC.

Roy Wall
11-10-2005, 4:41 PM
That's where I found it. Took off last Friday afternoon to spend some time browsing the selections. I heard a rumour that Paxtons's closed, but totally unsubstantiated at this point. I would hate for that to happen as i do buy from them time to time. Usually just too long of a trip for me (60 minutes round trip).

Scott,

I have heard the same thing.......at least some sort of "tapering down" to walk - in customers......:mad:

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2005, 5:04 PM
I know they have pretty much gotten out of any tool items like they had. I wonder if they are just focusing on contractor type sales during the week and no store front type business. That would make a lot of sense to me since it does cost a lot to be open on the weekend. They always charged a premium for store front sales. I really liked getting my Maple ply there and some hardwoods. I may have to give them a ring.

Calvin Hobbs
11-10-2005, 5:36 PM
Scott,

I recently moved to Springfield MO from Prairie Village. The guys up at Liberty Hardwoods were always great to deal with.

I bought a couple hundred bf of maple from them last year and a bunch of it had nice curl to it. And soft maple was only 2.25/bf but I didn't get to pick through.

Cal

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2005, 5:41 PM
I've been to their new location out off 435. Seems real nice, I am not sure their hours, but I think they are closed on Sat. but could be wrong. Often that is when I make lumber runs. I should give them a call on their cheery prices. I know they were real reasonable on the plywood side. They even have Baltic Birch in 4x8 sizes. They offer both china a USA grades.

Roy Wall
11-10-2005, 6:13 PM
I've been to their new location out off 435. Seems real nice, I am not sure their hours, but I think they are closed on Sat. but could be wrong. Often that is when I make lumber runs. I should give them a call on their cheery prices. I know they were real reasonable on the plywood side. They even have Baltic Birch in 4x8 sizes. They offer both china a USA grades.

Scott,

Just stopped by there yesterday to see what it's about. No showroom..just order:confused: --- I was hoping for some beautiful lumber to look at....

I picked up a price list...I imagine they could fax or email you.....

I know 2 other guys that usually get their lumber at Liberty...they are usually happy with the material.

Scott Coffelt
11-10-2005, 8:08 PM
Yeah, they're really not set up for a reatil location. You just go in and tell them what you are wanting. They load it. I didn't buy hardwood, so I don't know if you can pick it out or what. The day I was there they had a pile of oak near the door and it looked pretty good. I think I will stay with Schutte for hardwood and maybe liberty for sheet goods.